Spring! Spring! Spring!

Sat 4/3 Epic Trail Ride, yes, but where?

It's gonna be short-sleeve weather, so 30+ total miles, pack a lunch (peanut-butter-bagels?) some tasty ups and downs, mostly singletrack, rocks welcome, flow welcome, brief stops, not Danville/Bloomsburg area.

Figure start riding 9-10am, finish whenever. Bring adult beverages for post-ride pre-drive recovery, get food, return home.

Start point anywhere w/in XXX miles/hours driving. I'm not against driving 3 hours to get there but it better be worth it. By that I mean if I'm driving 6 hours to get somewhere I'd prefer to spend 6+ hours out on the bike.

Raystown?
    Michaux?
    Delaware Water Gap or S.F.?
    Rothrock?
    Whattup with Southern NY?
    Lehigh Valley?
    Bald Eagle?
    Gambrill MD?
    WV something?
    Elizabeth Furnace VA?
    Rattling Creek (never been)?

Am I just insane? (yes)

Discuss.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can tell you that I went to the RCST bash last year and the trails were very fun to ride. I forget exactly how many miles were there but it was around 30 maybe. There is a mix of some technical riding along the ridge and other areas and its all nice. We went to the bash and there was 30 hours straight of rain. I would imagine it would be more fun when its dry!!!

Did you ever have ham?
    Yes, Bear...you are insane!!! LOL!!! But, I look forward to the day when I can keep and do a ride like this, too!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Blue Pig
    Michaux?
    MINE!! My trails and forest roads!
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

- I don't think there are any mt biking trails at the Gap, it's pretty much hiking only.

- Rothrock's a good place to go Epic You could also easily do a Rothrock / Bald Eagle combo. If you're doing the Mt Top group ride on Thursday, I can lend you my trail guide, otherwise you can pick one up in State College at the bike shop.

- Southern NY trails tend to lack the rocky soil of eastern PA, thus I suspect they will be VERY muddy. When it's drier, I recommend Shindagin Hollow, outside of Ithaca, about 2hr15m from Kingston.

Would like to join you, but will be out of town this weekend.

Gravity's Gone
    Shuttling Natalie if I don't have to work. Probably not epic enough for you.

mtbr member
    There's always mountain top and white haven singletrack...could connect them with the rail trail.
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I'd suggest Raystown,it's fast, fun and flowy. It's also flatish and nontech with no steep climbs. I'm riding the big bike @ Natalie (not the cross country trails that you've ridden) and will probably only get 15 miles....

mtbr member
    2nd the Raystown suggestion. I was there on Sat. it was stupid fun, I believe we got 28 miles in without trying.

mtbr member

How are the soil conditions ...???

....at Raystown/Allagrippis? Does it drain well?
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    ....at Raystown/Allagrippis? Does it drain well?
    it being a post-child for IMBA it *should*, but I don't *know*.

I'd love to hear how Ricketts is, but I can't head out there w/o Maria. Maybe I'll convince her that is where we need to go Sunday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    GO TO WHERE THE CREEK RATTLES !! its close prob 1 1/2 hr drive, should drain well, lots o rocks, easily 6 hrs of trail riding. Lykens pa

when i dream of Mt. bike trails, they always look like trails from the RCST

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've heard good things about Rattling, but I'd need a guide as I don't know the area. Also, according to the RCST blog as of the 14th the trails are too wet/not recovered from winter yet - with recent rains and still clearing blowdown who knows what the status may be?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was hoping someone would come up with something great, so I could just agree with them. I'd say not Raystown again since we did that in the fall, and will likely be back there for the Dirtrag thing anyway. Rattling Creek would be good if the rain/navigation are figured out. Michaux and Rothrock/Bald Eagle should be on the list for sometime for sure.

Another option would be to do something local. We could do a Seedy H, Moon, LSF, Moc, combo and end up who knows where. Just make sure you charge your GPS. We could get a bunch of miles strung together and scout out ideas for the flying cheesesteak jamboree. I am thinking when it's done, get in about 40-50 miles in the Tubs/Mountain Top area, then the next day of the course could be the other side of the river with Moon/Seedy H half. The course just needs a good theme to tie it together.

Now getting down to the slightly less cool ideas. You could ride up to Mountain Top and join up with people there too, but roads suck. Ride down to Jim Thorpe from White Haven could find a bunch of miles and do various singletrack along the way.

mtbr member
    I'm planning on riding Michaux tomorrow and expect it to be in great shape except for lowlying areas and other areas that are perpetually wet. It easily fits your description of trails with climbs, descents, and rocky technical goodness to be found in abundance. The problem will be navigation if you are unfamiliar with the trails. Check the MBM blog. They may have a ride Saturday instead of Sunday given the weather and holiday. As everyone else always posts about Michaux, the Michaux Endurance Series maps make for a great starting off point to tell you where you are going but are not perfect by any means. Check there website. Guides are always best it seems!

BTW, I plan on riding a lot of the Maximus course tomorrow.
    The wheel of Ka turns and the World moves on.

mtbr member
    You can do a really cool loop with a a bunch of Mt. Top singletrack trails then hop on the rail trail and head to White Haven and hit up some more single track including the old race course.
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You could also try Blue Marsh. I "think" it is around 33 miles all the way around, and it is a workout. Nice scenery too. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ted.....have you been to Prompton Dam at all? You can def put some hours on the bike there. I am thinking of planning that myself. Maybe we will run into each other at Wegmans in the am tomorrow to discuss (in case in you haven't figured out who this is).

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Blue Marsh is a good place, and it'd be nice there Sat, but I know another group that is going to end up there later in the spring and I'm committed to meeting them there.

I'd still rather places I haven't been yet as I'm still "learning PA riding."

Prompton is very much a possiblity. Haven't been there yet.

I can't decide if I have the itch for more chunky riding (take FS) or more mileage (take stiffee). It's a horrid problem to have.

Chriffer, I'd rather stay dirty the whole time, I'm not feeling the love for a mixed road and dirt affair, just yet. When I've been riding more regularly I'll be more open to that though. We do need to spend some time and make the Colon Spackle Blower ride happen this fall if we can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You could also hit either French Creek or Mt. Gretna too. Both are fantastic places to ride.
    At French Creek you could easily put 30 miles on, but Gretna is very technical, not as big.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'll be leaving Kingston PA between 6:45 and 7:00 am, from the Bakehouse, if anyone wants to join in on the stupidity.

Expect to return after nightfall.

Expect rocks.

Regards.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    ride writeup started over here

thanks for all who contributed to this thread.