Thread: Sals Update

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Sals Update

Howdy all. I'm involved with the trail building at Salisbury and figured it was time to give you all a brief update.

As of Jaunary '07 we finished our new Orange trail. This brings the total up to approx 10 miles of singletrack trails, all built by hand. For the lower section of this trail, we went with the sine wave concept ( as spanky likes to call it). This means its always up, down, left, or right about every 15 feet or so.

We just finished a short section that is a bypass to a crappy-rutted-sticker bush lined-old ATV or jeep trail. This section uses some cool old whoops and even has a berm turn or two.

We're beginning to explore the Western end of the Walking Purchase Park. As of now this is a separate chunk of land from the main area where our trails are. We are determining the boundaries and hope to lay out a 2-3 mile trail system here, using Consitution road to connect between the two areas. This layout could change in the future, if private land it purchased by the county to connect both parts of the park.

A study has been approved to assess the potential uses of this area for recreation, conservation and education. This is a beautiful but overlooked area, and its had lots of problems over the years with illegal dumping and ATV use, among other things. Mountain biking figures to be a big part of the recommended uses (I could have told you that!).

You can follow the progress of the Sals project at bikeVMB.com. The trails are looking awesome and this year promises to be a great one for riding at Sals!

smell my finger
    You seem to be the man to ask: I really want to ride Sals more but I'm really put off by all of the climbing. I consider myself to be pretty fit but I do ride a 37 lb Rocky Mountain Switch and am looking for more a little more fun with a little less work. I've been to Sals 4-5 times over the past couple of years. The "blue" or switchback trail is just a killer to warm up on, and by the time you reach the "boulder trail" your just too dead to enjoy it. What am I missing? Is this new orange trail any more flowing or is it just the same "kill you on the climb", super technical killer? I'm certainly not a huckster but I do like the occasional double or 3-4' drop or skinny.

I'm really trying to find an alternative to the illegal college riding spot, but I don't feel this is it. Not that the college is flat by any stretch of the imagination but it seems that the climb to recovery ratio is a little more balanced with some nice hits here and there (on the 39 side more so than the back-side). In these boards when riding the "illegal" spot is mentioned, people are directed to ride over at Sals. The trails at these two locations are drastically different, and riders used to free-riding seem to avoid Sals. Any plans to offer any "stunt" riding at Sals, or are you trying to avoid the building and shuttling that goes on over at the college and stick strictly to intense xc riding?

This is not a blast on Sals by any means. I have had better rides at Sals in the past on my xc rig (a Schwinn 4- banger), but I'd really appreciate the extra 2" of travel and strength of my R.M. (especially in the boulder fields.) I was just out at Sals about 2 weeks ago. You trail builders are doing an excellent job, the principles of trail building are executed very well . As time passes and I regain my in-season legs I may enjoy it more but it's a hard sell.

So I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. I have printed the trail maps available on bike VMB but what am I missing, and how can I find it, at the new riding destination in the Valley? Thanks -- Joe

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Howdy. Well, climbing at Sals is the Nature of the beast. It was overlooked for development primarily because of the steep and rocky terrain.

For various reason there is no freeride scene at Sals. A few to list would be;

Its all old XC guys that build the trails and that's what we want to build and all we are permitted to build by the 4-5 governments or agencies. . The trails were intended to be multi use singletrack trails with moderate slope- suitable for hiking and biking, also usable for hunting.All of the trails are going to be reviewed as well by a large funded study designed to develop uses for the park and document what's there.

There is no good way to shuttle at Sals-the high spots have private property under them and/or no way to park at the top and/or no way to park at the bottom. So its a big climb just to get to the high spots and then you couldn't do much once you got there. Its not like that place you mention with the looping road that goes by the park and then curves around to the bottom and you can bomb down to the truck.

The orange trail is new and is over by St Lukes hospital. It has lots of ups and downs but is pretty much of an xc trail. It doesn't climb all that much though.

While building the xc trails we've tried to line up cool rocks you could do an option drop off of. Even this has been impossible as we can never seem to get the rock to line up with the trail without hitting a tree.

There was some discussion about a 15% grade long descent trail. However, there wouldn't be any way to shuttle it and you would have to pedal up to a high spot to hit it. We haven't figured out yet where to stick a trail like this. Keep tabs on our progress-maybe down the line we'll have something like this. Otherwise you can try South Mountain Emmaus or Bear Creek.
    Last edited by Guitarswheelies; 04-10-2007 at 12:34 AM.

smell my finger
    Thanks for the reply. I grew up in S. A-Town under the mine holes, it's been a long time since I've ridden south mountain Emmaus. Used to ride from s. 4th st in Allentown all the way to Emmaus, past the mine holes, under 78 etc. I stopped because of the private land issues on the South side of 78. I haven't been back in 7or 8 years. What's the 411 on this area now?

I guess I could qualify as an "old xc guy" myself, being 33 and riding for 15 years (we all began as XC riders). Most of the guys I have met at Sals were older than I, though. Just started to get into more aggresive riding a couple of years ago. I'm not in as good a shape as I could be due to family, work etc., but I try. Conquerring Salisbury is a challenge I'd like to meet, next time I go I'll bring the 4-Banger set up as my xc rig, That may solve some of my problems.

Well, gonna ride that other spot today (hope I don't beak anything!) Keep up the good work. -- Later

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Our crew that builds the trails is pretty much late 30's to late 50's . If you ride regularly Sals is doable for folks in their 50's.

About the stuff at SME, I know that the trail is going to be re routed off of the powerline in a few spots because that is private property.

You can try stopping in at South Mountain Cycles in Emmaus and ask them nicely about the trails over on the mountain to get any updates.