Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Sals 12-19

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crashplayer19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    89

    Smile Sals 12-19

    I never got around to posting the pictures but Walking Purchase Park was great. First time there, twowheelsgood and I had a blast. Shoutout to VMB for all the great work they do. We will definately be back
    Attached Images Attached Images                    
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,300
    Great pics of what's quickly become one of my favorite places to ride. Just wish it didn't take a half-hour to get there from where I live. I love riding those berms! Lots of good rockier stuff not pictured too

  3. #3
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,671
    hmmm, that looks like fun....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    hmmm, that looks like fun....
    Yeah, that log crossing over the creek in the last picture is definitely deceptively easy-looking in that picture - its actually more sway-back, crooked side-to-side, and off-camber to the downstream side than it looks in that picture. Wicked to ride when wet.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,201
    I am such an ass- for two years I completely ignored this place, like I lived in Bethlehem (Macungie now) and would go to Jim Thorpe and stuff but never went here until a few months ago, now I love the place. I was even a paid VMB member and never went! I just for some reason didn't think it was as developed as it was.

    roxnroots do you actually ride the log across? I only recently became able to ride nonstop up the small incline, onto the rocks, and across the rocks in the creek without stopping (my technical skills were lacking but are improving greatly just due to riding Sals repeatedly). I'm still scratching my head as to how people can lift up onto the log, maintain balance across the log, and nail the landing on the end. I know it's possible but it's just so beyond my skill level haha

  6. #6
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,671
    I think things tend to be bigger, steeper and just sketchier than they look on mtbr. I can kinda see what you mean about that log though. So is there enough trail there to justify driving an hour or so to get there?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,201
    I would absolutely drive an hour to do it. Heck I drive an hour (well, 50 minutes) to Jim Thorpe, and there's more entertaining riding at Sals compared to what is legal at JT these days.

    Here's me happily (but slightly shakily) going around the log crossing. The video too doesn't do it justice, it's rather rocky. Like, I frequently see dudes there out on like $5,000 all-mountain rigs and get hung up on the rocks there well before the log, and then make excuses lol. But like I said, I am rather new to rocky technical singletrack, so I was glad to finally clear it without stopping.



    if you do go, I highly suggest riding the red trail (actually, the whole thing) counter-clockwise. Here's a map:

    http://bikevmb.com/files/maps/Sals%202009%20map_0.pdf

  8. #8
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,671
    Cool, thanks for the info.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX

    roxnroots do you actually ride the log across? I only recently became able to ride nonstop up the small incline, onto the rocks, and across the rocks in the creek without stopping (my technical skills were lacking but are improving greatly just due to riding Sals repeatedly). I'm still scratching my head as to how people can lift up onto the log, maintain balance across the log, and nail the landing on the end. I know it's possible but it's just so beyond my skill level haha
    Ha, I'd like to say "yeah" but no. I'm at the same point you are and improving fast spending time there on Saturdays starting at Dodson so I have to bust a lung on the yellow switchbacks coming back at the end. Coming up that incline around that last tree and over its roots headed west, I tend to take it a little wide but there's that one rock sticking up that tends to kill my momentum before I can get onto the log so I stay to the left and across the rocks in the creek instead. Rode there all last week with snow there and it looks like most guys took the creek rather than the log even with the snow off it and it was dried off. I tried it once but slid off only a little onto it, nearly hanging up my front rotor. I'll get it eventually.

    You ride Luby Land (the Blue Trail) last week at all? Between the mashed potato snow, frost heaving leaf ruts, and the regular rocks that was serious work to get through that a Pugsley probably would've been great for. Much better when I got to Boulder By-pass which seemed much faster with snow on it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m
    I think things tend to be bigger, steeper and just sketchier than they look on mtbr. I can kinda see what you mean about that log though. So is there enough trail there to justify driving an hour or so to get there?
    Ya know, not too long ago I stood looking at that log from its western end (nearer Constitution) and only then do you see how devious the "evil" masterminds were who cut and laid that into place.

    Absolutely, there's enough to ride to justify an hour ride. There's one guy I know who drives there regularly from north-central N.J. I drive several times a week from Quakertown just for the conditioning it provides. You just feel stronger after a while riding Sals compared to "flatlander" rides otehr places.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    I would absolutely drive an hour to do it. Heck I drive an hour (well, 50 minutes) to Jim Thorpe, and there's more entertaining riding at Sals compared to what is legal at JT these days.

    Here's me happily (but slightly shakily) going around the log crossing. The video too doesn't do it justice, it's rather rocky. Like, I frequently see dudes there out on like $5,000 all-mountain rigs and get hung up on the rocks there well before the log, and then make excuses lol. But like I said, I am rather new to rocky technical singletrack, so I was glad to finally clear it without stopping.

    if you do go, I highly suggest riding the red trail (actually, the whole thing) counter-clockwise. Here's a map:

    http://bikevmb.com/files/maps/Sals%202009%20map_0.pdf

    After the PA Game Commission and hunting season basically killed off the Am Stan trail during the nicest time of the year to ride in Carbon County, I don't see any real reason to go to JT unless you want to hike Glen Onoko Falls and ride the Lehigh R. Rail-Trail to look at the fall leaves. Otherwise, South Mountain-Emmaus and Sals are much better bets.

    Riding at Sals from Dodson I go yellow, red, orange, red, blue, purple, red, sticker hell extension, red, back to yellow and up the switchbacks to Dodson. You're fried by the end but its worth it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,201
    ^ I enjoy the Broad Mountain Loop from time to time, it's not challenging by any means but I just enjoy many aspects of the scenery.

    Still haven't checked out SME...

    Oh I didn't see your earlier post- Yeah I did the Blue Trail the day that it snowed, by the time we hit Blue it was starting to accumulate.

    That was actually my first time ever on Blue, and that was the point where (I posted about this on VMB) I looked back and realized I had completely dropped my much-fitter-than-i friend, it was cuz the Pug was just sailing right over those frosty leaf ruts that my friend was getting completely sucked into- that was where I was like "oh my god fatbikes RULE" lol

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    ^ I enjoy the Broad Mountain Loop from time to time, it's not challenging by any means but I just enjoy many aspects of the scenery.

    Still haven't checked out SME...

    Oh I didn't see your earlier post- Yeah I did the Blue Trail the day that it snowed, by the time we hit Blue it was starting to accumulate.

    That was actually my first time ever on Blue, and that was the point where (I posted about this on VMB) I looked back and realized I had completely dropped my much-fitter-than-i friend, it was cuz the Pug was just sailing right over those frosty leaf ruts that my friend was getting completely sucked into- that was where I was like "oh my god fatbikes RULE" lol
    Ah, you're the Pug - it all makes sense now. I'm VMB too but from the Upper Bucks Co. "Nox Crew" knocking out the new trails down there. Your Pug pic that you posted up was cool - if it snowed more around here and if I hadn't just gotten done buying and upgrading the gt Sanction 1 full-squish rig, I'd consider springing for one after seeing the MSRP that you posted.

    As for the Blue Trail I nearly cleaned it without stopping on the Sanction with a Conti MK 2.4 front and Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 back despite the mess parts of Ble down in the valley were.. I wasn't tearing it up out there but not bad for a 6.5" FS 34 lb. ride either.

    I haven't been to SME in a few years but hear that it still has a lot of logs . . .

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crashplayer19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    89
    From JT you can ride up the rail trail to White Haven and hit up the old MASS course (Spin Cycle)
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JeffSkisMontana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,847

    Nice.....

    ...so can you ride to this location from White Haven?....this must be quite a ways down......past Weissport? Thx.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    ...so can you ride to this location from White Haven?....this must be quite a ways down......past Weissport? Thx.
    If you mean Sals as "this location" from White Haven it is way, way, way south of even Weissport. Sals is between Allentown and Bethlehem but on the south side of the Lehigh River up against South Mountain (just west of Fountain Hill). You really couldn't, wouldn't easily ride from northern or central Carbon County all the way to Sals.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    If you mean Sals as "this location" from White Haven it is way, way, way south of even Weissport. Sals is between Allentown and Bethlehem but on the south side of the Lehigh River up against South Mountain (just west of Fountain Hill). You really couldn't, wouldn't easily ride from northern or central Carbon County all the way to Sals.
    The plan is for the heritage corridor trail to eventually be completed so you could ride from JT to Allentown and beyond.
    It would be about a 25-30 mile ride from Weissport to Sals.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy
    The plan is for the heritage corridor trail to eventually be completed so you could ride from JT to Allentown and beyond.
    It would be about a 25-30 mile ride from Weissport to Sals.
    Yeah, from what I understand the portion north of Cementon to just south of Slatington which is part of an old RR bed owned by Lehigh County was the part I wasn't sure whether was completely finished yet or not. That was basically the missing link in the Laury's Station area. Now that I think more about it, it probably is complete.

    I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that the other poster was talking about riding from White Haven to Sals and was using Weissport as a southern reference point. Either way, riding the 25-30 miles (from Weissport) or much more from White Haven to Sals only to be followed by a full ride on all of Sals' trails would take more than I have, especially think about the hypothetical return trip back to Carbon County.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that the other poster was talking about riding from White Haven to Sals and was using Weissport as a southern reference point. Either way, riding the 25-30 miles (from Weissport) or much more from White Haven to Sals only to be followed by a full ride on all of Sals' trails would take more than I have, especially think about the hypothetical return trip back to Carbon County.
    Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •