Road Bike Review Member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Sad day in Wissahickon

I was having a great ride today until I came upon a rider who had a heart attack on a climb. I watched the paramedics work on him for 10 minutes, but it didn't look good. I don't think he survived, but I really hope someone posts otherwise. The people he was riding with said that he is only 42 years old. My condolences to his family and friends. If anyone has any information, please post it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Air Nine One Nine, and a few Cannondale....rip Salsa
    ...work is something I'm forced to do between riding and fishing

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenfish39
    I was having a great ride today until I came upon a rider who had a heart attack on a climb. I watched the paramedics work on him for 10 minutes, but it didn't look good. I don't think he survived, but I really hope someone posts otherwise. The people he was riding with said that he is only 42 years old. My condolences to his family and friends. If anyone has any information, please post it.
    Thanks in advance.
    sht, I was at the wiss today also. Can't believe that. It was such an amazing day, everybody was out. Man, that is just terrible.

out of shape
    hope hes alright
    doylestown pa
    SS cannondale F6

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Info

After reading this post I checked out the PMBA site and found this http://www.phillymtb.com/component/o...6/topic,635.0/

Seems like it happened during PMBA's regular ride. Quite a sad thing. Thoughts are with his family. So sad.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

Road Bike Review Member
    Damn...thats not what I wanted to hear. Very sad.
    Air Nine One Nine, and a few Cannondale....rip Salsa
    ...work is something I'm forced to do between riding and fishing

mtbr member
    From all of us at NEPMTBA...our condolences to the family.

Kevin

Inbred Homebrewer
    While I'm very sorry for the sudden loss suffered by the friends, family, & loved ones he leaves behind - I wouldn't call this "sad". Sad is a lingering, slow, painful death by chronic illness, or being killed by a drunk driver.

Passing quickly while riding the trail with friends on a beautiful day? It's how I'd like to go, given a choice - and I like to think that, in a wierd way, it might be easier for those I would leave behind 'cos they'd know I died doing something I loved.

Reminds me of DR1.

http://miketechinfo.com/DaleRider1/DRFPindex.htm

My condolences to those who knew him...
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Thanks in advance.
    Please let us know of the outcome anyway if you could!

From all of us here GOD SPEED...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm 46 and often push the limits on the climbs at Wiss. Makes you think twice if it's really worth it... As much you think you're in shape a 40+ heart is not the same as a 20 year old heart.

Saw a similar site at French Creek in the fall when a deer hunter was dragging a deer on the trail and did a header into a rock from a massive heart attach. I was the 2nd one on the scene and it really was a sad day.

The one thing I told my wife that day at French Creek is I would rather go out on a beautiful day doing something I loved than get hit by a car or something stupid like that... My condolences.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks in advance.
    Ohh my ..this is so sad - such a shame, my thoughts and prayers go out to the family

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    we need a way point system of sorts for wissy so peeps can be found more quickly

i feel for his family he was young in my book

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by killzone
    we need a way point system of sorts for wissy so peeps can be found more quickly

i feel for his family he was young in my book

In progress and being discussed...........

Our local club has started a donation list for contributions to the Chaplin Children’s Scholarship Fund. If anyone is interested, contributions are in $10.00 increments. Link to our home page below with banner on the top of the page:

http://www.phillymtb.com/

Fossil

Info

Thought you folks might want to read this:

http://www.philly.com/philly/obituar...ineer__42.html

I think I'll go home and hug my kids before we ride...
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Was Matt a big guy or pretty slim?

My father died of a heart attack 3 weeks ago, we think from complication with the stint, but we didn't ask questions.

I'm wondering how much body fat has to do with early heart attacks, as well as arterial lining and cholesterol/blood pressure.

I'd love to go out riding though, I love it out there. You can't forgo trying to stay in shape because of worries you might die doing it.

PMBA Beer Guy
    From what I have heard Matt was a fit guy, who was really into fitness.
    Board Member Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association (http://www.phillymtb.com)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

causation...

I think it is natural to want a little reassurance that there *must* have been some underlying heart defect or predisposition...

This is a pretty long but interesting article.
    It took a while to get to this paragraph but I'll take it...

"In addition, when deaths do occur, they are certainly not random providential events."

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0679.htm

Skip a piece of bling, send it here instead...

Chaplin Children Scholarship Fund
    Citizens Bank
    550 Lancaster Ave
    Devon, Pa. 19333

mtbr member

Matt Chaplin

I was the ride leader with Matt Chaplin. He parked and changed at my house (next to park) only after learning about our local bike shop ride on the web. I was alone with him when he collapsed, walking his bike up to restart a hill we dismounted on at the base to let a rider go in the other direction.. Along trickled some riders the other way, they tried to help him while me and another rider attempted getting EMS to find us, but the doctor at the ER said he probably died immediatly, even after some riders gave him CPR, and the EMS paddled him. I got the police to follow me home to get his plate number in case he had no ID. Went to the hospital to wait for his wife. Thats the story without the nasty, emotional details.

He was in great shape, and had 3 children from 17 months to 7 years old. Complained about tightness in chest to his wife a week beforehavd, and blamed it on stress.

Raised a lot of discussion (and action) in the Wissy about CPR, Medical check-ups, emergency access for vehicles, and marked locations along the trail that EMS would have a pin-point on.

Tough week.

Neil.
    Last edited by Dr Saw; 05-02-2008 at 06:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Neil, How are you holding up?

I sat down in front of my computer last Thursday evening, after having a nice ride on the local training run, and learned of the passing of one of our comrades and the loss of a member the mountainbiking community. I didn't know Matt personally, but like many of us, I was shocked and saddened by his untimely passing. My condolences to his family. I will keep them im my thoughts and prayers.

For me, being one of those guys over 40, this news hit home for me harder than for some. "But by the grace of God go I" keeps running across my mind. I guess the best thing to do is not to take anything(anyride) for granted. Enjoy it while you can.

As for Neil. How are you holding up? I've read the news here and on the Philly Mtb site. You sound like a stand-up guy. It was good to see that someone was with Matt and did everything they could to help him. You did everything ANYONE could have done, and more. I hope that the events of last Thursday evening haven't taken a toll on you. You deserve a big pat on the back, a "thank you" handshake, and couple rounds hoisted in your honor. -Bob
    Sir Dabs-alot