mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Rusty Chair @ Rocky Ridge

I just rode the new section of the Rusty Chair trail at Rocky Ridge this past weekend and I must say I think it is much better than the old section that is now closed. I also found a few other trails off of trail 5 that don't seem to be on the trail map anywhere. I guess YAMBA has been doing some work up there....my question is what goes into deciding where new trails can be made? It seems like there is a lot of room up on the ridge above the trail that is down along the creek...i believe it is trail 6. I'm looking forward to getting out for a ride again this weekend since hunting season is over now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Downhill sections?

Another question....is there a trail or group of trails that I am missing when I'm up there because there doesn't seem to be anything too rugged up there and there are always guys with 6 inch travel bikes with shin guards and full face helmets and elbow pads. Not sure what downhills they are riding up there but I have yet to find them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by swengo86
    I just rode the new section of the Rusty Chair trail at Rocky Ridge this past weekend and I must say I think it is much better than the old section that is now closed. I also found a few other trails off of trail 5 that don't seem to be on the trail map anywhere. I guess YAMBA has been doing some work up there....my question is what goes into deciding where new trails can be made? It seems like there is a lot of room up on the ridge above the trail that is down along the creek...i believe it is trail 6. I'm looking forward to getting out for a ride again this weekend since hunting season is over now!
    Good to hear that you like the new trail. There was a lot of effort put into that trail by the volunteers.

There is a newer trail that splits trail 5 that is not on the map. We'll be up there this weekend installing new carsonites through out the park and that trail will be labeled 5A. We call OMT short for "Old Man Trail" due to its origins as an illegal, poorly constructed trail, that we drastically rerouted and improved.

How do new trails come to be? Well, it's either thru the Parks asking YAMBA or YAMBA asking the parks for the most part. While the Parks are open for biking, hiking, and horseback riding, they are also managed as wildlife habitat. This somewhat constricts where a brand new trail can be put, as the Parks like to maintain "islands" of undisturbed habitat in-between trails. However, as trails are decommisioned and rerouted for whatever reason, I always try to add distance and and features.

There is a lot of room between the top of the ridge and trail 6, aka "The Gut". However it is very steep and would be hard to be built on. Also see above. Sometime in the future, the far future, though trail 6 will need to be repaired or rerouted due to the ongoing severe erosion in some sections. When that happens that space on the hillside could be used for the reroute.

Quote Originally Posted by swengo86
    Another question....is there a trail or group of trails that I am missing when I'm up there because there doesn't seem to be anything too rugged up there and there are always guys with 6 inch travel bikes with shin guards and full face helmets and elbow pads. Not sure what downhills they are riding up there but I have yet to find them.
    There is one unapproved fall line trail in the front of the park that has existed for quite some time that with longer travel and plastic courage can be bombed. From the outlet of Rusty Chair into trail 4 all the way down through The Gut is a blast at full speed. Again longer travel and plastic courage can help here. In the back of the park trail 9 to trail 3 to the bottom is a good descent that can be ripped. There is a barely marked legal trail that starts at Sue's Trail and goes pretty much fall line down off the ridge to the bottom trail 3. Some lips to be popped on that and a few off trail drops, and one short very steep eroded section where the trail crosses trail 9.

I ride a steel hardtail w/ a fox 36 and regular helmet. However, I have ridden a 5.5 travel bike at RR and it is great fun. After recent close calls I looking into a full face helmet and knee and elbow pads. I ride at the limit and sometimes I guess I go over the limit. Going down at speed hurts! As I get older I heal slower, so some more protection is sounding better every day, and I know a few people that ride w/ a full face and knee pads almost all the time for this reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the detailed explination. Keep up the great work at Rocky Ridge! I ride all the time over there and love it. Seems like I'm always finding something new from the previous ride. Its well worth the ride over from Lancaster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Trail 6 Connector Trail?

I was riding at RR a couple times this weekend and while I was riding I started to wonder why there was never a connecting trail built between the top portions of trail 6? Any possibility something could be build instead of riding out on the road? I have a nice loop in which I go from trail 4 to 6 and then up over to 5 but it requires me to ride on the road.....not complaining or anything....just curious. It's still one of my favorite places to ride for sure!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I do want to do a reroute of the section of trail 4 that goes up to the road from the trail 6 split. That reroute will then join up in the area of the trail 5/6 intersections at the top. The eroded fall line section of trail 4 to the road would then be eliminated. That project won't happen for at least two years however with there being more critical needs. But it is in the plans

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by diggingtrail
    I do want to do a reroute of the section of trail 4 that goes up to the road from the trail 6 split. That reroute will then join up in the area of the trail 5/6 intersections at the top. The eroded fall line section of trail 4 to the road would then be eliminated. That project won't happen for at least two years however with there being more critical needs. But it is in the plans
    Just curious....what are the upcoming projects/trail improvements that the re-route of 4 will not be for two years?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    In 2011 YAMBA is going to focus mainly on maintenance projects. The last two years we were on a building blitz, and the existing trails are showing some wear. They need some TLC. The only new trail on the plan for 2011 is to finish off "Copperhead", which was started during the IMBA TCC visit, at The Lakes. Other large projects, such as a repair/reroute of the eroded section of trail 3 at RR are on the table for 2012 and the years after. Those projects still need to be prioritized, and then approved.