mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Route Suggestions for Raystown (Allegrippis)

Hey guys, I am using up some PTO next week and planning on doing a quick over night at Raystown Lake. I'll be camping at the Susquehannock sites with intentions or arriving, riding, eating riding, sleep, ride and leave.

I am looking for some suggestions on routes to take, directions to take them (Clockwise vs Counter-Clockwise). I will be riding a SS with 32/19 (Coming from South Jersey), from what I have read this will be fine right? Do I gear up?

Any other info for a newbie to the place would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I imagine you'll be pretty good with that gear. As for routes to take, see if you can get ahold of one of the maps from Dirtfest...I have one laying around, when I get home I'll try to get a good pic and upload it here. They had some of the trails setup one-way, with the direction indicated on the map...which also happens to be a good way to ride them any other time, too.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Susquehannock is a great place to stay, close to the trail head and you can beat the $..as far as trail suggestions, i would do this: Alle trail, grippis, ridge, Rays Revenge (love it) sidewinder, osprey to Hydro loop. I like Hydro better Clockwise, then back up
    osprey. There are maps posted along the way so its very easy to follow. Good luck
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If you run over to the visitors center at 7 points they have trail maps for sale there with route suggestions. We used that map to navigate the place on our last camping trip and it was well worth the purchase.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    For first time I recommend clockwise on the outer trails, make sure you do Ray's Revenge in that direction, and then when you get to Hydro, some prefer clockwise, others counterclockwise.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member

Re: Route Suggestions for Raystown (Allegrippis)

Quote Originally Posted by jkad View Post
    Susquehannock is a great place to stay, close to the trail head and you can beat the $..as far as trail suggestions, i would do this: Alle trail, grippis, ridge, Rays Revenge (love it) sidewinder, osprey to Hydro loop. I like Hydro better Clockwise, then back up
    osprey. There are maps posted along the way so its very easy to follow. Good luck
    This route is great... Just pay attention to signs on sidewinder, the drop/jump always sneaks up on me. Also I like hydro counter clockwise so I'd say do both if you've got the legs. Also purple lizard makes a map that is great... Not sure where to get though other than state college.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions..

mtbr member
    I was just there Tuesday & Wed this week. First so I don't forget: DO NOT STOP ON THE BRIDGE AT THE BOTTOM OF SIDEWINDER! bees, bees, bees and man did I get stung all over!

With that said, don't avoid Sidewinder, it's a blast! Starting at Sus camp, go clockwise on the first day take Buck, Allie, Grippis, Ridge, Ray's Revenge, Sidewinder. At Hydro Loop go Counter Clockwise! If you're beat and want to get back for a beer take Osprey to Fawn to Buck.

If you're up for more take Eagle to Sleek Dog to Doe to Buck. Next day go Counter clock wise and do the above in reverse.
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey guys.... Just got back from the trails and I was uteerly blown away. Coming from South Jeresy, I knew I was in for a treat, but the trails went above and beyond what I expected.... Only got to do 1.5 days there but got around 60-65 miles in and touched every trail....

I stayed at the Susquehannock sites and thankfully I chose one of the first ones as that hill climb would have been brutal each time if I stayed at any of the further sites...

Loop 1:
    Eagle < Hydro (CC)< Osprey < Fawn < Switch < Sleek Dog < Fawn < Allie < Red Legs < Loco-Motive < Berry Patch < Ray's Revenge < Sidewinder < Osprey < Hydro (Clockwise) < Eagle.

Loop 2: Night Ride
    Dark Hollow < Barrel Bay < Allegheny < Shade < Dark Hollow.

Loop 3:

Stony < Buck < Allie < Grippis < Ridge < Ray's Revenge < Sidewinder < Osprey < Hydro (Clockwise) < Eagle < Switch < Sleek Dog < Switch < Doe < Buck < Stony.

I tried to sqeeze as much as possible in and man was it awsome... You did have to work for the fun fast sections (In my opinion) but it was all worth it. Way rockier than anything I ride currently, but got great use out of my tubless setup (22psi front 26 rear)

The night ride was something else, I don't usually like riding at night at new places, but I wanted to get as much riding in as possible... Took a lot of spiders on a ride, but no suprises I my eyes couldn't catch before my front tire did.

I loved Hydro clockwise, started to get really comfortable on it even though I took a little spill due to some front braking on loose rock.

My only grip against the place was that it seem a tad over grown in sections so my arms and legs are all cut up from the stickers. Not the end of the world though.

I will be making this trip multiple times a year, now that I know what it's all about... Thanks again for the tips...

mtbr member
    Did you say that you think the trails were rocky or rockier than what you are used to? Check out Moosic Mtn and Merli when you get a chance. You'll love them! Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member

Route Suggestions for Raystown (Allegrippis)

These trails are definitely not rocky they are smooth and flowy. A total blast!
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!