mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rothrock Riders - Trail ?'s

Are the trails around Greenwood Furnace State Park and Penn State Stone Valley Forest both within Rothrock worthy of hitting on the mountainbike?

Looking on my Purple Lizard map I see a tight network of trails at Greenwood Furnace SP and just north of there - trails like Wallace, Alexander, Griffith, Telephone, Spencer. What are they like?

Similarily I see a rather extensive trail network in the Penn State Stone Valley Forest which is across highway 26 from Whipple Dam State Park. Open to bikes? Worth a trip?

Appreciate any comments. I've ridden almost all the trials out of Galbraith Gap and Coopers Gap, and I'm just looking to explore some new spots for variety now.

mtbr member
    i'd like some input on this too, was thinking of taking a sept vacation out there at the lodge at raystown lake (it has a barcade) if so i'd like to know whats beginner friendly for my wife

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There over 80 miles of singletrack in the rothrock forest. I been riding up there since 90's and the NMBA club put alot of new trails in since the "purple lizard".

Check out their website: Nittany Mountain Biking Association - Home

Go to maps section to get some ideas. Coopers gap area is a favorite. The have a race call stupid 50 which may show some results if you google it.

I got a few buddies who are doing a camp weekend on 8/24 thru 8/26 at greenwood furnace (base camp). Well do tussey mtn side one day and trail from greenwood another day. Sassifras is a 1500 ft climb but great to bomb down at end. Our rides are usually 5 hours around 25 to 30 miles doing 4000 ft to 5000 ft climbing. I'll be at site 46 if you want us to show you around saturday or sunday (we leave around 9am to do rides be done 3pm).

Emory

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Last weekend a friend and I rode from Greenwood Furnace, there's definitely trail in the area.

We rode up Rag Hollow Rd to the Sassafras Trail, over the top of the Milligan's Knob, and continued on Sassex-X to Coopers Gap Rd. That was a relentless 5 mile clime to be sure. I think it may have been more fun to go up Pig Pile, but don't really know.

There's a ton of trail once you get up to the Coopers Gap rd area too, connecting towards the north.

Get the maps from Nittany MTB, and a Purple Lizard to back it up, make a plan, and explore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Guys, I'm aware of all the trails in Coopers and Galbraith Gaps. I just rode out at Cooper's Gap again today, doing a good size loop. Fun trails, just looking for some new terrain.

I was asking about the trails that are literally directly adjacent to Whipple Dam SP, and inside Penn State Stone Valley Forest. I see a ton of trails on the map, but haven't heard or read much about them on this site, or any of the local bike sites.

Has anybody explored these trails?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Where's a good place to camp to hit some good singletrack without having to drive? I see there's a number of state parks in the area, but it's tough to determine how they all relate to the trail system and whether they have camping.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Motorized campsite #6 off flat road is by the coopers gap trails. #4 off of bear meadows road is between the coopers gap/tussey trails and will require a bit of road riding. You have to call dcnr at (814) 643-2340 for a permit.

Greenwood furnace state park has more formal facilities(and a lake) and provides decent access to the coopers gap stuff.

I would personally opt for #6

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I did a trip to Rothrock last year and camped at Greenwood Furnace. The tight cluster of trails immediately around Greenwood Furnace shown onthe Purple Lizard map are horrible and certainly not classified as singletrack. The trails were overgrown, not marked at all. I am talking about the cluster on the north side of Route 305 (Brush Ridge, Tramway, Schoolhouse, Dixon, One, Two, Three, etc.). We tried to do these trails the afternoon we arrived after a long car ride and we were wondering if this was a poor choice for a mtb trip desination. Sorely dissapointed.

We stopped by the bike shop in downtown State College the next morning and were recommended a good ride near Greenwood Furnance. We did Shittakka, Beautiful, Chicken Peter, Bear Gap, Lingle Valley, Deer Tick, Etc up off Coppers Gap Road. These trails were more like what we were looking for. This is definately more along the eppic type ride we drove 8 hours for.

We road the next day down at Raystown and really liked that as well.

I will offer a few comments on the Greenwood Furnace Campground:

1. It is in a deep valley, and in late September the sun didn't peak over the hills until very late morning. 10 am seemed like 6 am. Made it tough to get up and get going.

2. It is not close to anything. Pretty good drive to get to Huntindon or State College for a brew pub, bike shop, or grocery/supply store.

We are making a return trip to PA this fall, but we are going to make camp HQ at Raystown Lake and take a day trip to Rothrock.

Hope this help a fellow MTBer plan their trip to PA.