Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    37

    Rode the Lakes in York

    It was my first time there in about 5 years and I have to say it wasn't worth the trip from lancaster. We were looking for a different place to ride That was a little less rocky than rocky ridge. We spent about 90% of the time at Rocky Ridge, which can beat you up a little on a rigid. Needless to say we didn't like the lakes at all! It just seemed like it was more field riding than single track. When we got to the single track portions they were either grown over or way too short. The only trail that was worth it was the back side of trail one. The route we took was trail 3 from the Redman Boat Launch to trail 4, 2, 1, back to 3. Today we rode Rocky Ridge, which is so much better in my opinion. I will not be going back to the Lakes any time soon.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    130
    That's funny. I rode the lakes for the first time yesterday. I was on my cross bike so that made it extra crazy. On 2 and 4 I took all the little singletrack deer path type things. It was brutal climbing. Really steep and tech in some parts. The established paths were field riding but the singletrack was pretty intense. it was overgrown. I rode 1,2,3,4 and 5.

  3. #3
    247
    247 is offline
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,333
    There are 2 lakes here? Which one is better?
    Also, does York's trail group maintain those trails too, or just Rocky Ridge??

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    50

    you won't believe why

    First of all if you don't volunteer consistantly with trail work you shouldn't even open your mouth about the trail conditions. I ride rocky ridge often and keep tabs as to how many riders I see that I've also seen at the trail work days the past 2 years. Rough estimate is less than 5% of rocky ridge riders help to maintain the trails. In my opinion you are a parasite that benefits off the hard work of a few. Let me correct that, a winey little parasite. Trying to keep up with this years vegetation growth has been challanging at the lakes coupled with trying to build the new trail at rocky ridge with a limited amount of volunteer help makes it all the more difficult. If you visit the YAMBA site you will notice that individuals have been trying to trim back some of the trails at the lakes on their own time using their own tools. I will be at the scheduled trail work day at rocky ridge tomorrow at 930 am putting on my work boots and work gloves while you will probably be putting on your bike shoes and bike gloves for a ride. If you ride trail 7 at rocky ridge that is the trail I adopted to try and maintain on my own time. It's been my pleasure to serve you.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by krindog44
    It was my first time there in about 5 years and I have to say it wasn't worth the trip from lancaster. We were looking for a different place to ride That was a little less rocky than rocky ridge. We spent about 90% of the time at Rocky Ridge, which can beat you up a little on a rigid. Needless to say we didn't like the lakes at all! It just seemed like it was more field riding than single track. When we got to the single track portions they were either grown over or way too short. The only trail that was worth it was the back side of trail one. The route we took was trail 3 from the Redman Boat Launch to trail 4, 2, 1, back to 3. Today we rode Rocky Ridge, which is so much better in my opinion. I will not be going back to the Lakes any time soon.
    You didn't like the downhills on 4? There are two good ones that can be ripped, and when I was there last week weren't overgrown to the point of being sliced open by the jaggers. Not sure how you couldn't like that. Also what part of 2 did you ride? Did you ride 2B down to the waters edge and back up, and down? What about 2C? Both of those trails are singletrack or close. Trail one is singletrack once clearing the clearcut. I'm not quite sure where you are coming from really. Yes there is quite a bit of double track but it is at least split 50/50. On a rigid you should be able to fly at the lakes.

    You obviously didn't ride the Redman side which is more single track, but also more technical.

    And put more nicely than jkraft, when is the last time you helped out trimming at any of the parks you ride? The trails don't just appear magically and take care of themselves. It takes dedicated individuals to build and maintain. So maybe before blasting the trails take this into consideration and approach it more diplomatically. Perhaps by saying, 'hey folks just a heads up, trail 4 at The Lakes is starting to grow in.' You will be received much better.

    And to the other poster that asked, YAMBA builds and maintains at Rocky Ridge, The Lakes, and Spring Valley parks. Organized trailworks are focused at Rocky Ridge this year. Last year it was at The Lakes. Anybody can trim and all riders appreciate those that do.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    37
    I apologize...I was not trying to offend anyone....
    Last edited by krindog44; 06-11-2010 at 08:26 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    37
    PSPWesty, as I look back on the ride I don't think I hit any of the good stuff. I'm not that familiar with the trails there and I'm guessing I stayed mostly on the Williams side. It was just my personal opinion of the ride I did that day...that is all. It was no way intended to offend anyone. I appreciate the hard work that goes into maintaining a trail and was certainly planning on attending some of the maintenance days at Rocky Ridge. On a side note...does the PSP stand for Pa. State Police? If so where are you stationed? I'm an ADA in Lancaster.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by krindog44
    PSPWesty, as I look back on the ride I don't think I hit any of the good stuff. I'm not that familiar with the trails there and I'm guessing I stayed mostly on the Williams side. It was just my personal opinion of the ride I did that day...that is all. It was no way intended to offend anyone. I appreciate the hard work that goes into maintaining a trail and was certainly planning on attending some of the maintenance days at Rocky Ridge. On a side note...does the PSP stand for Pa. State Police? If so where are you stationed? I'm an ADA in Lancaster.
    Hey, no problem. Actual meaning behind the words we type doesn't always come across right on the interwebs. If you want a tour of The Lakes post on the YAMBA forum or even just troll it as there are informal rides posted more frequently as we enter summer.

    Help at trailworks will always be appreciated. There is one tomorrow at 930A at Rocky Ridge working on the new trail in the logged section of the park.

    Actually I'm a firefighter in York. As to the PSP it actually was for Phi Sigma Pi, the fraternity I was in in college. I needed a handle for email etc in college and I've just carried along since then.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dietz31684's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    343
    I am fairly new to the Harrisburg area and just rode rocky ridge on Saturday morning. I didn't know about the trail work going on and didnt run into anyone, but I must say that it was an absolute blast! I have ridden the lakes and swatara since being in the area, but RR is the most fun yet for me

    Thanks to all who maintain! I will check YAMBA for the next date.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684
    I am fairly new to the Harrisburg area and just rode rocky ridge on Saturday morning. I didn't know about the trail work going on and didnt run into anyone, but I must say that it was an absolute blast! I have ridden the lakes and swatara since being in the area, but RR is the most fun yet for me

    Thanks to all who maintain! I will check YAMBA for the next date.
    Glad you liked it. Rocky Ridge is my favorite spot to ride, and build at. If you could make it to the next trailwork or so that would be great.

    At least you weren't like the three a**holes that came up to us when we where putting in a berm on saturday and asked to ride up the new unfinished trail. We started to joke about having extra tools and they just wanted to ride past us. When I told them the trail was closed and their best route would be around it, they replied "we pack the trail down w/ our tires, thats how we do trail maintenance." As we are standing there sweating our butts off putting in a new trail that they want to ride. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

    OP- So you know, YAMBA is working on mobilizing people to trim at The Lakes. It is hard though as there are over 20 miles of trails and the other user groups can't be bothered to help. Hopefully next time you make it there the trails will be trimmed back some more.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dietz31684's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    343
    I just checked out the YAMBA site. I will keep the date for next Sunday the 27th @1:30, look forward to lending a hand. I assume some extra tools will be there? I rent an apartment and dont own any landscaping tools, got some wrenches/circular saw/drill type stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •