mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Rocky Ridge - Trailwork - March 20th

We are finally back to our normal schedule for trailworks this Saturday. It is supposed to be sunny and the high will be close to 70. A perfect day to continue working on the new trail, Rusty Chair. The winter was not kind to our work schedule, and we lost quite a few workdays. The only way to make up those missed days is if more help comes out for the next few trailworks.

Meet in the back parking lot at Rocky Ridge (under the power lines) at 9:30 AM. YAMBA will supply the tools, and will have energy bars. There will be at least two gift certificates for Adventure Cycle and Fitness up for grabs as well for some lucky volunteers. Bring work gloves and water and wear sturdy shoes.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Kevin:

We usually get down at least once a year to ride your trail system, and I would like to say thanks to YAMBA and all who work hard to make it nice for everyone who enjoys the great trails in the York area!

Can you give a bit of info as to where in the trail system the new trail is located?

I forgot to add we stop at the Taco Bell right near there cause you can smell it while riding the trails, which might not be the best thing, but what the hay ride hard, eat junky food... LOL

ride
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 03-17-2010 at 09:50 AM.

mtbr member
    I am heading out to a meeting in Wrightsville for work and want to ride here tomorrow (Thurs) Can anyone let me know how the trails are? The Wissahickon here in Philly is MINT! Nice loamy dirt. I am thinking the same at Rocky Ridge? Thanks for any info!
    bike = good

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Kevin:

We usually get down at least once a year to ride your trail system, and I would like to say thanks to YAMBA and all who work hard to make it nice for everyone who enjoys the great trails in the York area!

Can you give a bit of info as to where in the trail system the new trail is located?

I forgot to add we stop at the Taco Bell right near there cause you can smell it while riding the trails, which might not be the best thing, but what the hay ride hard, eat junky food... LOL

ride
    The old trail 4 is in red. The new trail is yellow and is just an approximization that I just drew up. Still it gives you the idea of where it is at. The back power line parking lot is at the top of the pic. Part of the old trail was obliterated by logging and the other part was either badly eroded or made worse by the logging.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_merchant
    I am heading out to a meeting in Wrightsville for work and want to ride here tomorrow (Thurs) Can anyone let me know how the trails are? The Wissahickon here in Philly is MINT! Nice loamy dirt. I am thinking the same at Rocky Ridge? Thanks for any info!
    Rocky Ridge is closed as of right now. We did a maintenance work day in the rain this past sunday. Here is a picture of what one area on trail 9 looked like. Needless to say we took care of that! Still I imagine most of the park is still really wet, and won't open until friday.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info Kevin. Please help me understand how the park is "closed"
    Last edited by dirt_merchant; 03-18-2010 at 05:38 AM.
    bike = good

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_merchant
    thanks for the info Kevin. Please help me understand how the park is "closed"
    The York County Parks will close the trails to MTB's and horses when the trails are wet. They hardly ever close Rocky Ridge as it drains pretty well, besides a few wet spots. However before the rain last weekend there was still 6 inches of snow on the ground up there. Combine that melt w/ the rain and the ground is just saturated. Even off trail the water was just running down the hillside on Sunday. I've never seen it like that before. I just called the hotline and the trails are still closed. Here is the number to call for future reference; 840-7440.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

It was a beautiful day to play in the dirt

Three hours of digging and more progress than I had expected from 12 people. Our next trailwork is Sunday March 28th at 1:30p. Check yamba.org for more details after tomorrow.

Some pics from today

And from our ride afterwards