mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Rocky Ridge - Trailwork - Jan 24th

Cross your fingers for good weather this coming Sunday as hopefully YAMBA will be able to begin tackling the 2010 trailwork schedule.

What will we be working on? A near complete reroute of Trail 4 from the power lines down to just above the bridge where the bench sits.

Why are we doing this? Trail 4 at Rock Ridge has become a complete mess since the logging took place. Even before the logging there were sections of trail that were becoming badly eroded. The logging has only increased the damage to the trail.

What are we trying to accomplish? The new trail will maintain all the characteristics of a typical Rocky Ridge trail, but will be more sustainable than the trail that it replaces. In addition, we have received permission to include Technical Trail Features off to the side of the trail such as log rides, skinnies, rock rolls, and drops. The top section of the trail will be more suited to the TTF's while the lower section will open up some, allowing some speed and flow along with the possibility of small jumps.

When does the fun start? Meet at Rocky Ridge on Sunday Jan 24th in the rear gravel parking lot at 1:30 PM. YAMBA will provide the tools, and GungHo bikes and Clif Bar have donated energy bars to snack on while working. Bring water, sturdy shoes, and work gloves.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Did you guys work in the rain?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    Did you guys work in the rain?

Sure did. We had 10 people including myself, not bad considering the weather. It actually didn't rain hardly at all. Mist for the first 15 minutes, about 10 minutes of real rain in the middle. The heavy fog was constant though. As I was heading down the road to go home at 4:15 it started to rain. Good timing. Here are some pics from today. Next trailwork is Sunday Feb. 7 at 9am due to the Super Bowl.

www.yamba.org

Blue Pig
    Gj guys!

Ah, you guys are 1:13 mins away from me. Interesting...

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    awww man...I should have tried to get out but Saturday night was a wild and late night and I ended up at a friends place without a car.

I really wanted those Clif bars.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    doh just schedule something a county away on the 7th.

Not enough hours in a day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    doh just schedule something a county away on the 7th.

Not enough hours in a day.
    Don't worry, if you want to come out and help us there will be enough days to do so. I'm estimating at least 7 work days if not more to complete this trail. Our trailwork schedule is on our club website homepage. Also, building the TTF's will be done on separate days from normally scheduled trailworks. This will allow those that really want features to be focused on building them for a whole session or two. I'll keep posting updates in hopes of drawing more volunteers and to keep the local riders updated.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Does Yamba have any maps of its trails? I'd be happy to lend a hand making some.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Does Yamba have any maps of its trails? I'd be happy to lend a hand making some.
    This is the only one that we have. I did it two years ago and it is already out of date. We have rerouted and built several new trails. I just need to take the time to redo the few that we changed and edit the base file. Started a map for The Lakes but never got it finished, and want to start over on that. Trail 4 on this map (at the bottom middle) is the one that we are rerouting currently.

Rocky Ridge GPS Topo

Note, there are more trails at RR than represented here. These are the official trails at the time the mapping was done two years ago. If anybody wants a full res .tiff version of this, PM me an email address and I'll send it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i hope to make it out there sometime this season. this will be my first time on a mountain bike in a long time. cant wait for the weather to get nicer. i def wanna come out to an event u guys have, ur 2 hours away but seems like it be worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

moved some wood today

After the wind storm blew threw here this week, there were a lot of downed trees in the parks. We organized a work crew to cut out those trees but the parks maintenance staff beat us to if for once. I was kind of disappointed actually as I knew we could use the wood on the new trail. Not one to complain though when somebody else does the work for me, our crew salvaged some of the cut wood. There is still more to be had to. With what we got today I estimate enough for about 75-100ft of log rides and skinnies depending how we mill the logs down. Exciting times at Rocky Ridge as this is the first time TTF's have been fully authorized. In the area and interested on helping build or ride this stuff? Keep an eye out for future threads w/ the details of upcoming work days.

mtbr member
    I cant wait to ride the new trail 4! I loved the old one and im interested as to how it will turn out

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown-rider
    I cant wait to ride the new trail 4! I loved the old one and im interested as to how it will turn out
    Well as soon this snow melts we can get back to work. This weather has put a real damper on trailwork this year. Hopefully we'll be able to keep our next workday, Sun Mar 7 @ 1:30, on the books.

It's good to hear that there is some excitement for the new trail. I think it will suit a lot of people as it should maintain the characteristics of the old trail, yet bring so many new features. I can't wait for when we can start working on some of the woodwork.