Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007

Rocky Ridge today

I went to Rocky Ridge for the first time and it was definitely more difficult than Redman where I've been riding up to this point. I'm still considering myself a beginner and I still get tired quicker than most. I rode trail 7 and was amazed at the amount of rocks (I know that's why they call it Rocky Ridge). I didn't know anything about the park so I just picked one.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a run down on the trails or recommend certain ones to beginners. #7 was nice but there was a spot I had to walk on the way down the hill from the first parking lot. It was a large rocky section that I don't think I would have made it through!

Also, I'm riding my first FS so I'm not sure how to deal with all the rocks. Do I take them slow and go around as many as possible or do I just bomb over top of them and let the suspension do the work?

Sorry for the long post and amature questions! Here's what I'm riding by the way!
    08' Haro X6LT

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Shoot, I bomb that place on a rigid ss. Hey, don't worry about having to walk. You're better taking it in stride than pushing yourself beyond your comfort level and getting injured. Not worth it. But to answer you question. With rocks, speed is your friend, the faster, the better. That way you can float across and not be bogged down. However, do not become a hack "plow-rider", and depend solely on your suspension. For now though, I am NOT, going to tell you were to ride, because... as you said that you are working on getting stronger, you need to go explore. Take a day and explore, at YOUR pace the northside. Than take a day off(def take a day off, don't exhaust yourself) and come back to explore the south side of the ridge. I want to go for an easy ride sat, I have a race on sunday, shoot me a PM if you might into meeting up. Here's my rigid ss.

BTW nice rig ya got there. I have a plethora of bikes, so if you wanted to hit some the frisky stuff there I would be into bringing on the "those" bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007
    Nice, that's good advise, I'll definitely rest. It did seem to be smoother when I went faster and I actually felt more stable because I didn't have to worry about balance like when going slower.
    08' Haro X6LT

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Check out YAMBA. They are a local bike club and host rides at the Parks. Good way to learn the trail system. Monday is their beginner ride which a lot of experienced riders come to to lend some advice and take an easy paced ride. Wed. they have an all skills ride which will break up into smaller groups based on skill and fitness level. They have a yahoo group where the rides are posted. Just search the groups for YAMBA. The rides usually rotate every two weeks between Rocky Ridge and Lake Redman. We just finished the 2 weeks at the Ridge and next week will be meeting at Redman. Boat Docks at 6pm.

Dave

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Rocky Ridge will really help you learn your line and how to pick them.

I prefer the climbs at Redman because of the better trail maintence, but Rocky Ridge is more of a full body workout, if you ride 7-12 miles at Rocky Ridge, you'll really feel it the next day.

Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007
    how beginner are we talking. I've been out of this for a while and I get winded quickly
    08' Haro X6LT

smartass
    Depends who shows up. If there are true beginners, it's a slow ride and nobody gets dropped. Hell, kids on WalMart bikes have come, people on hybrid/comfort bikes, and the pace is ok for them. Sometimes no real beginners show, and it's just a bunch of regulars riding at a relaxed pace (relaxed, like, can have a conversation while riding).

If you come on a Monday, you'll be good.

Redman is boring. Rocky Ridge is way more fun, and will teach you things you can't learn on a bike path.

Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007
    geez, I can't get 7-12 miles on any trail. I can do 20 or more on the rail trail but the climbing kills me now. I'm working on it but I'm pathetic at this point.
    08' Haro X6LT

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Rider
    geez, I can't get 7-12 miles on any trail. I can do 20 or more on the rail trail but the climbing kills me now. I'm working on it but I'm pathetic at this point.
    Hey, don't sweat it! I am not alone here in thinking this, and I am humble enough to admit, that this sport is ridiculously HARD! But also freakin' addictive. I love it. You will only stand to get better if you go out and ride.

smartass
    7 miles is about average for a YAMBA ride at Rocky Ridge. Of course, it's easy to break off early if you need/want, somebody will ride you back to the lot of you don't know the way.

Rocky Ridge really lends itself to beginner rides, lots of places to bail out early and ride an easy trail back to the lot.

mtbr member
    what type of Haro is that?

Rat Fink
    Definitely come to the YAMBA Monday night beginner rides. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...ountainbikers/

Yamba also rides Wednesday which is more of an all skill level ride but they'll always take beginners and newbies out in a skill level appropriate group too.

A beginner ride at RR would be trail 5, then #1 and #2. You can get from 5 to 1 and 2 a couple ways: trail 7 parallels the main park road (don't go down the hill, way not beginner down there) and runs to the North lookout in the upper parking lot. You can also start on 7, turn right at the horseshoe pit and follow the exercise trail to the upper parking lot, take the road obviously, or take trail 4 which has a decent climb to the south lookout.

You riding during the day or the evenings? I might be able to take you around next week, too.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007
    I actually took trail 7 down the hill because I wasn't sure where I was going and was fine going down the hill except where it crosses that big rock garden (I carried accross). My days of riding dirt bikes in the woods paid off there. I'll try#5 for sure and look you guys up on a monday! I'm usually riding on Wednesday evening. Other than that I play by ear.
    08' Haro X6LT

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

a single speed, really

Your post peaked my interest. I've been riding at rocky ridge for nearly a year now and I haven't seen a single speed on the trails, in the parking lot or hanging off a car. I also ride a ss rigid and think that rocky ridge is a fun trail to ride that type of bike. Some nice rocky sections and some challenging hills. I'll be up for a ride if you are interested. I plan on riding Michaux this saturday and sunday so I won't be around. Drop me a PM if interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

#7 by the radio tower

By the end of the summer you'll be bouncing right through the rocks and up that monster hill that comes out at the radio tower. I also started on #7 and must of fallen off my bike twenty times before I was able to make it the whole way down and back up again. Just be careful in the summer when it's really hot out. Along side the rock garden is a really big flat rock and there is an 85 year old married couple that like to sun themselves on the rock - naked (good for their arthritis I suppose). First time you see them it will scare the heck out of you and you will fall off your bike. Good luck.

Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007
    I will definitely watch out for that visual hazard! It's like a train wreck, you just gotta look once! I just about killed myself on that hill though!
    08' Haro X6LT