mtbr member

Rocky Ridge June 15th

I am looking to drive up to York on Father's Day to try this trail system out. If anyone is interested in meeting me to show me the best route options, it would be appreciated. I will be coming from SEPA and prefer to ride first thing in the morning, but am flexible. Me: I am a Clydesdale 6' 3" and about 235 lbs with riding gear. My endurance is very good but I am by no means the fastest guy on the trail. I can keep up a good pace climbing and even better flat or decending.

I do love technical terrain which is why I would like to check this place out. I spent a week in Utah last month so my technical skills are fine tuned right now. If there is a technical challenge that I don't clear the first time I usually stop and go back and try it again unless it is above my skill level. Hopefully this won't bother someone interested in riding with me.

I've got the trail map loaded on my phone so if no one takes me up on the offer to ride, at least please give me some fairly detailed route instructions pointing me to the most technical trails. I see the trails are numbered but if you could also indicate clockwise or counter that will help.

This is all weather permitting of course! Thanks in advanced!!

P.S. - I will be glad to do the same for anyone looking to ride the trail systems down near SEPA. Those are Fair Hill (MD), White Clay, Middle Run, and Brandywine Creek State Park/Woodlawn Preserve.

mtbr member
    No takers yet? As of now the weather is looking great for this weekend. I did find some route recommendations by doing a little searching in the forums so with that intel and the trail map on my iPhone I'm good to go if I'm solo.

I expect to arrive at the parking lot around 8am 6/15. I will be in black GMC Sierra extended cab pick up riding a red XL Giant Trance 650b. See you on the trails!

mtbr member
    maybe next time man... i am there almost every weekend but i'll be at raystown this weekend. i'm sure you'll run into another friendly biker though.

mtbr member
    I wish I could but I'm booked too. RR is an awesome park though. Just pick a trail and go for it. A few trails later if you give it time you'll get back I usually don't bother with the map and just flow it.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    I wish I could but I'm booked too. RR is an awesome park though. Just pick a trail and go for it. A few trails later if you give it time you'll get back I usually don't bother with the map and just flow it.
    Can anyone recommend a XC route or have a gpx file of their tracks? I'll appreciate any off piste fun rides (not too freeriding)

Are there stunts? Such as planks, see-saws, log rides

mtbr member
    The trailheads have big maps on them, but the majority of the trails are loops or connect to them. There are a lot of rocks(hence the name) but no wood/man made features that I know of. Some solid hold-on-tight downhill runs and some super steep uphills. For the most part the trails have numbers, but there are some intersections where the marks are damaged or not visible.

Usually I would start with the big parking lot and go from trail 1 or 2 and flow into whichever felt good at the time.
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

smartass
    I may be able to make Sunday morning. I'll know my schedule better in a day or two.

Using this map: Yamba Forums ? View topic - The "Official" Un-Official Map of Rocky Ridge County Park , this is how I usually ride, starting from the main paved lot (near the sports field on the map):

Ride towards the trail 5 loop at the SE corner. I ride 5A-5-5B, then back up 6 as a warm up loop. Then from the same paved lot, ride the trail 7 loop (the east half is rocky, the west half is smooth, so ride whichever direction you prefer). Then hit trail 8 and ride it east towards the rear parking lot. Ride through that parking lot to "Sue's Trail", (trail 1, gravel doubletrack), right on trail 8, left on trail 1, right on trail 1A, then left on trail 2 and ride that to the east end of the park. From there I usually ride straight back trail 1 and turn right down trail 8 (the switchback part), that's my favorite DH in the park. From there, either ride west to trail 3/8 and climb out trail 8 (very technical at parts), or back east and up trail 3 to trail 9 (also a pretty rocky climb).

One way or the other (it always takes re-riding trails you've already ridden) get to the start of Rusty Chair (trail 4) at near the south overlook. Ride it west, skipping Broken Arrow and staying on 4, then left on trail six for a great (but short) rocky DH. Then either back up trail 6 and out, or down trail 6 (the Gut), and right on trail 6 at the bottom, and climb out to 5, and ride back trail 5.

Trails 7, 8, 3/9 and 6 (up form the gut) are the biggest climbs/descents.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Just any FYI there is a trail called 9A that isn't on the map and should have tape or some other sign alerting you to its closure. Please don't ride it, as it is has given the local club a bad name and they are trying to regain the trust of the county parks on letting MTB users at the park. Just keep your eyes out, thats all.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

smartass
    Thanks, I forgot to mention that. 9A is shown on that map. Don't ride it.

mtbr member
    Yes, I've seen the chatter in the forums about 9A and it is marked on the map I will be using so I will most definitely avoid it. I have never ridden illegal trails and as a guest in someone else's trail system I will be polite, courteous and respectful of the trails and others around me. All while having a good time of course!

@Amish_Matt - I was going to save 5A-5-5B for the last part of my ride, but if you say it is a good warm-up, I may alter my course.

smartass
    That's just my preference is all. 5A and 5B are best in the direction I mentioned (IMO), and can be sort of a stand alone loop, which is why I ride it first. It would also work well at the end, for the same reason.

If I ride down 6 (the Gut) and then back up 6 to where it meets 5/5B, I usually end with a loop back 5 the opposite direction.

mtbr member
    With all this rain as of late... I hope these trail are open this weekend.
    How well does this place drain and dry out?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    As the name implies it's rocky and it's on a ridge. It's the most resilient park in the area to wet conditions.

If you go to the website: Rocky Ridge Park there's a box near the bottom left for the twitter feed. That will tell you when it's closed. Or you can just call 24/7 to either get a recording or a parks employee who will tell you the closures.

mtbr member
    I always thought that to be ironic that it is the least likely to be affected by rain yet it is closeable from such...
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Currently closed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    2011 Dawes Deadeye | 2011 Niner EMD9 | 2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Thanks Fam. Looking forward to getting out there Sunday.

smartass
    I'm not going to make it there by 8, but I'll be there by 9, maybe I'll see you out there. Black Santa Cruz Nickel w/white fork, black helmet, red pack, orange shorts.

-Matt

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    I'm not going to make it there by 8, but I'll be there by 9, maybe I'll see you out there. Black Santa Cruz Nickel w/white fork, black helmet, red pack, orange shorts.

-Matt
    I thought we were wearing matching green shorts tomorrow? I see how it is....

Kidding.

eBayRider - My wife and I will be there too, riding with Matt. I ride a blue and orange Canfield Yelli Screamy, red helmet (not sure about shorts yet apparently). Wifey rides a white Santa Cruz Superlight 29.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Sorry I missed you. I only saw 2 other riders while I was out there and no green or orange shorts. I must say that is an amazing trail system you have there. You are lucky to be close by. The weather was perfect today too which helped. I did 12 miles even in just over 2 hours. I hit everything but the 5A-5-5B trails in the SW corner. Red 8 down was awesome. Red 7 was good too. It was all good. Next time I come I am gonna hit the 5's and red 7 and 8 again.

Someone said it in another thread and I have to agree that YouTube vids of the trails do not do the rocks justice. Ride on!

mtbr member
    It is interesting how many times I've gone there and seen whole lines of bike equipped cars in the lot and only meet 1 or 2 users of any sort on the trails. A testament to how many trail options there are.
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So that wasn't you that parked your Impreza in the tree? That's good.

Yeah, that's a great trail system. Glad you enjoyed it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    So that wasn't you that parked your Impreza in the tree? That's good.

Yeah, that's a great trail system. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Ha,

No that was not me in the Impreza. I missed that. I pulled out of there around 10:30 but that must have been a sight to see.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, can't wait to get back! With a couple of trips to NEPA coming up, it was the perfect place to get me ready for Moosic, Merli and Prompton.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I am a full blown n00b. I've been hiking around RR a few times and riding there once 2 or 3 weeks ago. Thanks for the warning about the 9A trail. I didn't realize mountain biking could be so political.

I live about 15 minutes from the park and hope to really get to know the place and hone my skills there.