mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Rocky Ridge GPS Map (York, PA)

Here is a GPS topographic trail map of the legal trails at Rocky Ridge in York, that I made. There are many more trails at RR but I can't post those. This map was made for Yamba, and forwarded to the parks dept for a future update of the published maps. A full res version can be accessed at www.yamba.org in the files section (note you must sign up to the yahoo group to see the files). One issue with the map already, the fall line section of trail 3 (upper right) has been closed and the reroute is now official but is not yet on the map.

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the map! York is truly lucky to have a trail system like RR. Thanks for the hard work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    how many miles is this??

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Mileage

Quote Originally Posted by colby717
    how many miles is this??
    10-12 miles is easily doable without hardly any doubling up on trails. I have done 16 miles at RR, but you will climb what you descended earlier in the day, or vise versa. The nice thing about this is that it is easy to string different trails together each time b/c of how compact the park is.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    close enough to home ill definitely have to check it out
    thanks!!

mtbr member
    I just rode there for the first time this week and man is it awesome. Hopefully I'll get to take a whole day and get to put a nice string of trails together. Anybody have any tips for how to ride the trails.(in any certain order or direction?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose721
    I just rode there for the first time this week and man is it awesome. Hopefully I'll get to take a whole day and get to put a nice string of trails together. Anybody have any tips for how to ride the trails.(in any certain order or direction?)
    I like to start on one of the flatter trails to get warmed up. Here is a decent ride at RR. Park in the front lot, and ride trail 5 counter clockwise, and come back up to the parking lot. Hit the a really short section of trail 7 to trail 8 and ride that to the back of the park where you will come out at the lookout. Keep following 8 down and into the woods under the power lines. Ride the slow tech section of 8 until it meets up with trail 3 and descend to the bottom. Climb 3 to 9 and turn right onto 9 so that you are riding 9 counter clockwise. Climb up to the gravel section of 2 and turn right. A short time later turn left onto 8. This is a short section of 8. Turn right at the gravel section and a really short time later left onto 2. Ride 2 all the way around back to 8 and then turn right and descend the S curves of 8. Climb back up to the top on your choice of 3 or 8. Follow the power lines on 1 to 4. descend 4 to 6. Turn let onto 6 and go into the gut. Watch for the trail on the right, still trail 6, and climb back up to 5 and out to the parking lot. Should be around 8-10 mile. Add in trail 7 for another 1.5 miles.

There all kinds of different mini loops that can be put together depending on the kind of riding you want that day, especially in the back section of the park. These can add even more miles. Have a good ride.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

lookig to ride

Quote Originally Posted by pspwesty View Post
    Here is a GPS topographic trail map of the legal trails at Rocky Ridge in York, that I made. There are many more trails at RR but I can't post those. This map was made for Yamba, and forwarded to the parks dept for a future update of the published maps. A full res version can be accessed at YAMBA.org - The York Area Mountain Bike Association - York, PA in the files section (note you must sign up to the yahoo group to see the files). One issue with the map already, the fall line section of trail 3 (upper right) has been closed and the reroute is now official but is not yet on the map.

Me and some buddies have been wanting to ride here for some time. Any chance on getting a tour?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiek118 View Post
    Me and some buddies have been wanting to ride here for some time. Any chance on getting a tour?
    You local or where are you coming from? I would ride along/tour if you would like. If you are DH people I can show you the start of the one there, but I won't do it with you since it is not suited for a hard tail at all, but I have been down it to just check it out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Kina, coming from the Reading area. No Im not DH just xc and am style and some xc endurance. How many miles would you be up for? Feel free to email me yetieddie5@gmail.com

thanks

mtbr member
    Doesn't matter to me for I have done short fast rides of 5 miles and longer rides of up to 16 miles. To get the longer rides you are doing loops multiple times in different directions. I ride a hardtail XC race level bike, but I don't race anymore. I just like going there for it is close to my house and quick for me to get to.

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005

Re: Rocky Ridge GPS Map (York, PA)

Hey there... I'm riding rocky ridge Saturday morning. Bringing a hard tail and riding two hours ish. If anyone wants to join let me know.
    South Central PA

mtbr member
    Here's a better map.

Rocky Ridge GPS Map (York, PA)-rr-2013-jan-18-map-1-basic-copy.jpg
    Help, I'm a rock!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=Man from Utopia;10468841]Here's a better map.

YIKES!

That map is a hot mess. I've seen it before. It never should have been released to the public by the map creator. There are closed trails, abandoned trails, not really trail trails, and illegal trails all on that map. Riding some of the "trails" that are mapped on there will be very detrimental to the park and MTB advocacy there.

Here is the most recent map that YAMBA has created and that the York County Parks have adopted as their official map. Two trails have been rerouted since the creation of this map, aren't significantly different as to be much of an issue.

I just got back from the beach and will be riding tomorrow but can't commit to a time to lead a ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Ridge GPS Map (York, PA)-official-un-official-rocky-ridge-county-park-map-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jvp108 View Post
    Hey there... I'm riding rocky ridge Saturday morning. Bringing a hard tail and riding two hours ish. If anyone wants to join let me know.
    I plan on riding RR tomorrow morning around 9:00-9:30 with a buddy of mine. I have only been there twice so am always up for some guidance on trail choice and direction. However I am a " clyde " just getting back in to swing of things so wouldn't want to hinder anyone's ride if we were to tag along.

mtbr member
    I didn't see these posts but I hit up RR on Saturday for the first time in a while by myself and had a blast. I love the newer trail at the bottom that comes out to the rock gardens. Lots of fun! I did 15 miles with a couple repeat trails but the trails were in awesome shape. Great place!