mtbr member
    Jun 2007

rocky ridge closed?

went to take a short ride this afternoon at rocky ridge and the trial closed sign was up. It's been a good 2 days since we had rain and these trails drain extremely well. I do take heed not to run on trails during or right after heavy rain. A few other riders pulled into the parking lot about the same time I did. I inquired as to the closing and they were all a little baffled also as to why. We all agreed that we were going to ride and see if the trails were soft and mushy. If they were we were going to head back to avoid tearing up the place. I found no standing water, no mud holes(other than the usual places that are wet even in a drought). So back to the question of why? could it be the christmas light show they have there at night? could it have been the thick leave cover on the ground and the park thought it may be too hazardous ride? ricky racoon the park ranger got drunk the night before and forget to change the sign? deer hunting? I drive a half an hour to ride at the park and try to make sure that the conditions are good to ride before heading out so I'm just curious about the closing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    redman has been closed as well for the last two days.

the only thing i could think of was deer (buck) season opened monday.

i know they give permits to bow hunters, but i am not sure if they allow rifle hunting in the park.
    “Driving a car versus riding a bike is on par with watching television rather than living your own life.”

Rat Fink
    Closed for deer hunting this past Monday and Tuesday and same again next week.

November 27th - 28th & December 3th - 4th . Kain and Rocky Ridge County Parks will
    be closed to general public for a special antlerless deer hunt. Special permit is needed.
    When in doubt, call the parks office: http://ycwebserver.york-county.org/Parks/index.htm
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005
    I ride Rocky Ridge a few times a year since moving away fromt he area ten years ago. I was born in this part of PA, so maybe I should know the answer to this but

Is this a recent thing, allowing hunting in County Parks? Just seems like a safety hazard to the public, a.k.a Joe hiker and his kids.

cannondale rider
    they've been doing it for a couple years now. it's really weird though, considering the close proximety to homes and the amount of park users there are

Rat Fink
    Special hunting only:

11. RIFLES , CROSSBOWS & PISTOLS ARE NOT PERMITTED IN ROCKY RIDGE, WILLIAM H. KAIN, P. JOSEPH RAAB OR SPRING VALLEY PARKS.
    I suppose that's shotguns w/slugs and maybe muzzle loaders. The park is closed to everybody else on those four days so there's no threat to hikers. The parks are open to everybody during archery season so don't wear brown fur with antlers during October & November.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')