mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Rockton Mt Trails - Clearfield, PA

I rode Rockton MT Trails today in Clearfield, PA (a small town about an hour Northwest of PSU, visiting the girlfriend's rents). If you are out this way check them out, it's nicely laid out (basically a clover shape with parking in the center). XC, fast rolling hills, 90% single track, bridges, intermittent technical rocky sections and about 20 miles total, pics taken with the cell phone ( ) are attached.

Fran
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That looks GOOD, directions from Clearfield proper?

Did you go to Denny's Beer Barrel Pub for ten-pound burgers?

my church is the woods

I know those trails

I ride there like twice a year when visiting some friends in Clearfield. This last time at the end of May, I got done riding and my shins were green from all the ferns.

I found the trails there to be good for my 29er single speed, as it doesn't have any real climbing, it's mostly flat with a few small ups and downs.

If you get up there again, I found a real technical trail that follows the outside of that big fenced off area. It would be off the green road on the bottom of your pic of the map, near the 'horn shanty loop'

nice to see that I'm not the only one who rides those trails.

mtbr member
    is the access off of 153 or 322???? My in-laws are in Clearfield, would like to check this out next time we're up...

banned
    I go to Prompton and Rothrock. Wondering if this is worth a shot?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

322 or 153

DTH: the entrance is off of 322, turn onto Greenwood road and you're there.

Moonraker: I think I saw the trail you mentioned off of Bloom Rd but it looked real over grown, then again, what isn't in there. Still thinking about building a 29ner but haven't found a frame I like yet, this place would be perfect for one though. When I'm out this way again I'll let ya know.

JC: Read Rothrock is a good ride, never been to either places though, not from the area, but like Moonraker said there aren't any challengin climbs here, more rolling hills with some technical rocky sections, mostly fast flat riding and 20 miles of it. I read rothrock has some pretty good climbs and descents too.

Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    There is a trail from there to Montgomery Run Dam in Hyde which is real fun.

Let's see if I can remember this... It's been about 7 years since I last rode it. It's a rocky singletrack that follows a stream all the way to the dam. The trail around the resevouir is especially tough with all the trees the beavers take down. You can get back to Greenwood road by taking the trail up the powerlines from the dam, up a dirt road, and right up the hill past a house. You will then come to a 4 way intersection. Left or straight will take you towards Cuwensville (which you can make into a fun little loop), right will take you up the hill to Greenwood road. When almost to the top you can take a right for a fun little downhill back to the trail along the stream. There is a trail through a logged area that can take you back up to Greenwood Rd if you don't want to take the trail back up but I don't remember exactly where it was. Most times I would park at the treatment plant on Montomery Run Rd and do the loop clockwise for a fun 6 mile ride.

When I was riding this trail back in the '90's it didn't see much maintenance (I think the boy scouts maintain it) so be prepared to deal with blow downs. Its a great trail though and back then it was certainly the best in Clearfield.

Here is a map link.

Oh yea, the Rockton trails are pretty cool. Some rocky areas, some actual singletrack (a rarity in PA where the ATVs outnumber cars) and no climing.
    Last edited by woodsguy; 08-13-2007 at 06:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Just got back from sampling the Rockton Mt. Trails. It was a rather short ride but very enjoyable. Started around 7am in perfect weather. Beautiful scenery. Some excellent flowing singletrack with some technical rock sections. A little doubletrack and gasline quad trails, but the singletrack.... Very much looking forward to exploring the rest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    where is the freeride , downhill stuff?im from clearfield and might move back.im in reading pa now and we have tons of freeride and shuttle stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    what about bowmans mtn in all the old stripping cuts i used to ride my yamaha motobike on?

mtbr member
    Below is my review of the Rockton Mountain Trails. First a little background. I was born in Clearfield and lived there until I went to college in Williamsport. I started mountain biking in May 1991. Then I moved to Clearfield and lived there until I went to college in Massachusetts in 1997. Since moving here I have only ridden my old Montgomery Run loop once and the rail trail once. The last time I rode the Rockton Mountain Trails was in the summer of ’97 right before moving up here. After discovering all the amazing trail systems in New England (many within 20 minutes) I have had no desire to ride in PA again. But this past weekend I went down for my sister’s 40th birthday party and to go to a PSU football game. I brought the bike figuring I could squeeze in a ride on my Montgomery Run loop. Sunday morning I decided instead to ride the Rockton Mountain trails.

I arrived at the parking lot and checked the box for a map. The many spider webs in the empty box told me that it hasn’t been filled in a long time. I studied the kiosk map and headed down the jeep trail from the parking lot. I then took the first trail on the right. This trail was very overgrown. The low brush completely covered the trail for the first quarter mile. Then it cleared up and was somewhat fun. This mostly down hill trail flowed pretty nicely but I had to keep an eye out for the blue blazes since the trail was very faint in places. After crossing 322 the trail went down some jeep trails where you could get a bunch of speed. I had to keep my speed in check in order to keep an eye out for the blue blazes. My gps was a nice reassurance that I wasn’t going off track. After leaving the jeep trail I was on some pretty technical single track. It really tested me in places. The trail seemed to be all up hill (which makes sense since I came down pretty far on the jeep trail). At the pipe line I turned right up the hill and found the blue blazes again on the left. I made it back up to the car somewhat spent since I kept a good pace with no stops and did the whole loop in just under an hour (I think it was only about 8 miles).

I wasn’t expecting much so I was pleasantly surprised at quality of the biking. Even though it is more of a hiking trail than a biking trail it was definitely worth bringing my bike for. Being as technical as it is I probably won’t bring my wife there. She is spoiled rotten by the Kingdom Trails in VT. Next time I think I will head back up to the parking lot instead of crossing 322 to cross it there. Then head back down the loop in the other direction. In other words a figure 8. This way I would have all down hills on single track and the uphills would be 322 and the jeep trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My wife and I were up to Rockton trails last weekend. it was a little overgrown in spots but I real enjoyed the rocks (I see why it is callled Rockton) and the technical aspect of it. we did about 8 miles and were worn out as the rocks keep the upper body in shape!

It's a rarity to see an Ellsworth as that's is what my wife is riding (I am on a Tallboy). Both bikes just laughed at this trail, he, he. I would like to go back and check it out again in the future. We live by State College so it's not to far to go. We also ride Rothrock which is another great place to ride not far from us, defenitly do either or both if you ever get the chance.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    +1 for bring back to life an old thread...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I ride these trails about twice a year, my father still lives in clearfield, i'm sure the locals still ride this stuff ...glad to see others enjoy them as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm back in Clearfield for a party this weekend. I plan to roll rockton on sat if anyone wants to join me??

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I rode the trail system again (solo mission) this past weekend, about 20 miles over two rides. Day one southern loops: Hemlock > shanty > panther. Day two northern trails Kiln > Kelly Cellar loop > Kiln. All counter clockwise under 1.5hrs saddle time each.

Definitely fun, good technical sections, the mossy baby head sections are challenging and there were a few nice drop offs. All in all just as I remembered it, a flowy system begging for either more foot/bike traffic and/or a team of machete welding boy scouts... the rhododendron and ferns are way overgrown in areas. I moved a few blown down branches off the trails but overall I only encountered a handful of large downed trees. Here's the SS after I jumped off the bike to brush another massive spider web from my face/helmet and a cleaner pic of the map. Funny how the cell cameras have improved in 5 years
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rockton Mt Trails - Clearfield, PA-imag0053.jpg  

Rockton Mt Trails - Clearfield, PA-imag0058.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Packing up the family and the bike for the hike up to Clearfield this weekend. I plan to ride Friday 5/17 afternoon and Saturday morning. If anyone's up for a Rockton spin let me know. (not holding my breath...lol)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I ride these trails all the time (live in Clearfield). It's gotten pretty rough in spots due to flooding and just overgrowth in general. I try and clear blowovers when I see them and build obstacles around stuff i can't move. Not bad for a few short loops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by z0mbi View Post
    I ride these trails all the time (live in Clearfield). It's gotten pretty rough in spots due to flooding and just overgrowth in general. I try and clear blowovers when I see them and build obstacles around stuff i can't move. Not bad for a few short loops.
    Cool zombi, I'll hit ya up next time I'm out that way. I rode there last weekend. Still over grown but im getting the handle of the tech on panther which is some classic slow rock garden picking.

mtbr member
    Not to hi-jack the thread but sorta related anyhow...is anyone doing King of the Mountain this year?? Sunday Oct. 13th, it's only 5 miles and it benefits Habitat for Humanity. Maybe even sneak a trail ride once on top of Rockton Mt. to make it worth while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am probably going to do King of the Mountain, and i know my buddy is for sure. I have never done it before but it sounds fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'll probably try and make it out this year. Probably bring my road bike though

mtbr member
    Not sure I am in the right frame of mind or not, but I'm doing it this year on the mtb, after spectating/volunteering the last few. Hope to see you there! I'd also be interested in meeting a local to show me the trails on Rockton...or at least point me in the right direction.