mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Roaring Run, Apollo (map/route needed)

Does anyone have a good map of Roaring Run, Apollo? Garmin/Strava rides would work as well. Any route suggestions would be appreciated. The rockier, the better (hope I don't eat those words). Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Here's the website: Roaring Run Trail has a link to a decent map. I suggest riding down the rail trail about 1-1/4 mile until you cross the small bridge over Roaring Run. Make a left into the grassy area and look for the trail signs, take the second trail. The first one on the right puts you on the loop backwards, not the best way to do it if it's your first time there. Follow the Zig Zag trail up the hill and it's pretty easy to follow from there. Make sure to take the Cave Bear trail when you get to it. Once you get through all of that and get back down to the rail trail, there are a couple of loops on the right. It's all pretty easy to find, and has good signs. There are also trails above the rail trail going back to the parking lot, but typically require a hike a bike to get to. The nice thing about Roaring Run is when you have had enough of the rocks, you can drop down to the rail trail and cruise.

Dave

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by daveg66 View Post
    There are also trails above the rail trail going back to the parking lot, but typically require a hike a bike to get to.

Dave
    Love this place, wish it was closer!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks! We rode there yesterday after a mild storm. Very very nice trails. Loved how all the sections on the blue trail were individually named. We also did some of the trails to the east of the main loop.

What I didn't understand was the top section on the NE part of stream (approximately 624497 E, 4491044 N). We climbed up and tried to go around the stream, but got stopped by no trespassing signs. The trail was also blocked off with logs. We tried to go around on another trail to the east, but same result. How do people pass this to go all the way around the stream? Looks like we missed the waterfall and some more nice trails

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Steel,
    You were heading into the "old" trails, which unfortunately have been blocked this year. One of the main trail builders broke his leg out there a couple of years ago, needed air lifted out. What I heard was the land owner no longer wanted bikers to go through there because of that. The thing is, those trails are on private land, not watershed association land, so the landowner can keep us out if he wants to. I went through a few weeks ago and the message was clear, keep out. It's a shame, because those were the original Roaring Run trails, before the Blue loop was built. Plus, you miss the waterfall, which is a nice place for a break. There are still ways to include some of those trails, but the loop doesn't work as well as it used to. Still a great place, just has changed a bit over the last few months.

Dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ah, that's too bad. Those trails back there were really nice as well, but the evidence was there that they were not being used as much. It's still worth it to go up the property line and ride back out. Made for a very long day of riding.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Hi Guys,
    I am the guy who broke his femur and had to be air lifted out. Those trails up top were always "private" but the land owner was always really great about us using them. A friend of mine spoke w/the landowner not too long ago and while my broken leg probably made for some restless time for the land owner, he made it clear that the kids partying at the falls and all the trash they leave and a girl falling on the rocks is what made him finally post all that off limits. I hate that I may have been part of the reason those trails were closed? He did not close them until 2 years after my accident though. In hindsight I wish I could have reached out to the property owner to make sure he knew I would never sue him. That accident was my fault, plain and simple. I can understand his concerns though. I have a LOT of hours invested in RR and will always be working out there on one thing or another! Great trails, glad so many people enjoy them!! Thanks.
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Don,
    Good to hear from you, surprised we haven't run into you out there this year. My info about the closure is second hand, we were talking with another biker who had recently (that day?) encountered the landowner out riding around in his truck. Your accident was one of the reasons he mentioned for shutting things down. Landowner wasn't mad, but asked the guy to spread the word to keep out. I agree the parties at the waterfall would be more of a concern from a liability and trash point of view. Of course, stories change the more they are repeated, but I think the guy was pretty straight forward. It would be nice if we could get that opened up again, really expands the options.

Dave G

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I am the guy who broke his femur and had to be air lifted out. Those trails up top were always "private" but the land owner was always really great about us using them. A friend of mine spoke w/the landowner not too long ago and while my broken leg probably made for some restless time for the land owner, he made it clear that the kids partying at the falls and all the trash they leave and a girl falling on the rocks is what made him finally post all that off limits. I hate that I may have been part of the reason those trails were closed? He did not close them until 2 years after my accident though. In hindsight I wish I could have reached out to the property owner to make sure he knew I would never sue him. That accident was my fault, plain and simple. I can understand his concerns though. I have a LOT of hours invested in RR and will always be working out there on one thing or another! Great trails, glad so many people enjoy them!! Thanks.
    Thanks for your input here. Really appreciate the work you have put in there. I plan on going back very soon (would have been there on Saturday if the weather was better). I'd be interested in alternative routes to see as much of those old trails as possible while staying legal. How far up can you get coming from the other direction? That is to say, how much of the old route is currently off-limits?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Steel,

PM sent.

Dave

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Hi guys,
    I feel miserable that what happened to me was part of the reason the old stuff got closed off. I can understand the property owners concerns though. I MAY know someone that knows the land owner on a personal basis and I will request a meeting if at all possible to see if we can sign a waiver or something? Otherwise, there is more stuff in the works but not in actual construction. Stay tuned!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am going to ride this again tomorrow. This time, I'm going to start on the race loop and take it to the top of Elevator Shaft. Turn around at Elevator shaft and ride the whole loop in reverse to the bottom of Elevator Shaft, and then ride the bottom trails in the normal direction. If I have any energy left, gonna try to go up Roaring Run until the trail ends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I know it's a little late, but I just registered to the forums and happened by this. Roaring Run has been my go-to for a little while now. Not a bad jaunt from where I live. I think I have an old trail map from a few years back laying around somewhere. If you're still in need, let me know.

I happened upon the blocked off trail a few months ago. Was confused as what to do, so I headed back. Saw a guy on another trail that said you can still go back there, just stay quiet. I see no need to risk it. Even though the old trails were great, not worth the risk.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Best thing to do is respect the property owners wish for people to stay off of his property. We'll get more trails built where we are allowed to in the near future.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My last trip there was epic. Basically did the race loop in both directions. I feel like it rides equally well in both directions. I climbed Elevator Shaft just to see if I could do it. Took 3 tries to get up that first hill. Keep up the good work, PaMtnBkr.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Thanks! Another fun way to ride the trails is to do a figure 8 by crossing over at the play rock! Makes for a fun way to ride some of the trails backwards! By play rock I mean the big flat faced one you can hit off the small hill and ride up and swoop back down on the same face!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr View Post
    Thanks! Another fun way to ride the trails is to do a figure 8 by crossing over at the play rock! Makes for a fun way to ride some of the trails backwards! By play rock I mean the big flat faced one you can hit off the small hill and ride up and swoop back down on the same face!
    We thought the EXACT same thing last time we were there. We were on the lower trail and had to do a double-take when we paralleled the upper trail. That's what we'll probably do next time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Had another great ride here today. Easy to forget how rough the first part of the race loop is. Couldn't climb Elevator Shaft this time as there was a wet/slick part at the first bend that caused me to spin out. Always amazed at how "few" miles I ride when I'm there. Strava can never accurately measure the actual effort it takes to ride there. Your momentum is constantly taken away from you. Would be curious to see a power-metered ride.