mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Roaring Run Apollo 3/7/10

Well, we thought we would try Roaring Run today since it is one of the better places to ride when conditions are wet. Foolishly we expected most of the snow to be melted due to the warmer temps we have had the last few days. We couldn't have been more wrong. Even the rail trail was barely rideable with the several inches of snow cone snow. Tried hiking up the hill in search of dirt, but everything is still covered. Put in about one mile and had enough. We don't give up on the trails very often, but today was the day. Ended up going for an 18 mile road ride on my friends single speed cross bike. Turned out pretty good at the end of it all.

IM000060
    IM000065
    IM000066
    IM000063
    IM000068

mtbr member
    thanks for the report. looks like we are gonna have some warmer temps and some rain this week so maybe the trails will be snow free by next weekend.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Good Stuff!

mtbr member
    I was out there walking it Sunday. I would have to say that maybe 30% of the trail is rideable, still a lot of snow. Also there are a couple trees down so watch out for them.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was out at Bavington with my buddy on Monday. It was obvious that we weren't the first ones to go out and ride there, either. A lot of hike-a-bike going on....but after this warm weather and rain we're getting this week, I bet the snow doesn't last long...but its definitely going to be wet for some time...and not to mention colder.

Going to be a short list of places to ride around Pittsburgh - Moraine, Apollo, and Bavington are all good when the going gets wet.

Here's the ride map - just over two and a half miles total - most on muddy road. Do have some video i need to edit, too:

View Bavington Snow Day in a larger map
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.