Spring! Spring! Spring!

Roaring Gies 03/20/10

Or was it Geisingroar?

I'm too dang tired to do a normal full writeup, so here's the short version.

Ride 1: Geisinger, 9am-2:30pm, with Jonz187 and KrazyKessler. Good times. Good hills. 1 flat (KK), GPS recorded 15 miles, 4133 ft climbing, only 30 minutes stopped time.

Google Earth Tracklog Linky

Thanks Guys, great way to start the day.

Had snack, drove over to Wiser State Forest.

Ride 2: Roaring Creek, 3:00pm-6:00pm, solo, amazed I made it. No issues. Couple wrong turns (recovered). No. 1 Natalie Miners Path is a blast to bomb DOWN. GPS recorded 20 miles, 2200 ft climbing, only 9 minutes stopped time.

Google Earth Tracklog Linky

Sun setting over Numidia was too nice to ignore.

Last edited by bear; 03-21-2010 at 03:21 AM.

Gravity's Gone
    Wow.

Holy crap Bear. I was shot the rest of the afternoon from our Geisinger ride. 4133' in 15m is not too shabby. It's also interesting to see the elevation gain along the 8 mile Weiser road - I wouldn't have suspected it was 1000'

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Ya, the 8 miles is tricky, as we spoke of before. I could feel the hill going out, but coming back it was easier for me to keep the gear rolling on the singlespeed. Still it doesn't seem like 1000 feet. Must be all the distractions from nankers antics which I do enjoy very much!

ride

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Jeff, you're reading the wrong digit, the total elevation DIFFERENCE between the two ends of Weiser Rd is only about 100'. But one end kind-of needs to be higher what with the whole reservoirs thing and all. ;^)

But riding it non-stop is definitely more "of a workout" than stopping now and then.

I hope the gang has a great time out there today, Roaring was sure in good shape and a whole lotta fun.

FYI, I chose to ride the 8-mile as a recovery/warmup phase from the Geisinger ride. While on the drive over from Danville I stuffed my face with a bagel, some beef jerkey, and some other sources of questionable nutrition. Drank 2 bottles of Cytomax and 8 oz of coffee, and some water.

I medicated with 2 ibuprophen, some recovery pills, and a shot of Scotch (after I got to Weiser for that one).

Then I rolled the road nice and easy, just turning over the legs and hoping for recovery. I figured that if I got to the other end and just COULDN'T get up the hill I could just keep it on the down-low and roll easy back to the car.

I did NOT climb trail on the Aristes side to get to the top, I went up on the shoulder of 42 in a slow steady grind. First off, now I was time-limited as I wanted to be back well before sundown; and I knew that I didn't have a large enough reserve to do the dirt climbing with the gearing I was running and that would just piss me off. At least I figured the road climb was possible (not necessarily definite though).

However, I did make it to the top of 42, had a break and another snack, and started working my way back westerly along the top of the ridge. For the most part was trail was in super great shape. There was just a couple spots where it was still damp enough to feel like I was pedaling on wet sponges, but not many. Once I made it past "that" rock garden (yes, that one) the trail was *mostly* a gentle downward shift with intermittent uphills and it was just a very very fun sequence.

My plan was to come back across and cut down on the Old Natalie doubletrack that I knew intersects with the 8-mile road, or assuming I missed that just coast down the shoulder of 54 back to the lot.

Somehow (it was easy, really) I missed a turnoff and would up in the neighborhood just north of the parking area on top of the Natalie side. So I back-tracked and went down #1 Natalie Miner's Path. I figured how wrong could I go? Not far really, I actually ended up closer to the parking lot on the 8-mile road than I expected, so more singletrack less road!

Plus, the roll down #1 was sillly fun. Silly steep at the beginning, loose rock with a solid bed of leaves on top and some buried sticks and stuff. Sketchy. Down the hill a bit it gets less steep but goes into a section with lots of "tombstone" rocks buried in the leaves and under-crud. Easy to endo on. Being very away of being tired, and alone, and not wearing any body armor, I wasn't into taking it full-on BUT it was still a fast rocky section that was just SUPER fun.

Important Things I learned yesterday:

1. You don't need a granny-gear chain-ring to ride and enjoy Geisinger trails (or elsewhere). Really. But you need strong knees and your quads and glutes are going to pay.
    2. Do NOT think you are going to keep up with Jonz and Krazy on the climbs (on their lightweight bikes with the racer-fit physiologies).
    3. Do check your patch kit to see that it's complete, at least a couple times a year. Mo better than when Rider No. 2 gets a flat and everyone is going "whups, that one's not complete."
    4. Cranberry Clif Shot Blocks go great with MacAllen Scotch
    5. As does beef jerky
    6. Peanut covered donuts ARE recovery food, and go down well with Cytomax and Coffee
    7. My bike is SOO writing checks that are overdrawing my bank account of Bike Ability

Technical notes

1. Maxxis 2.35 Minion DH F & R single-ply Maxxpro tires work very, VERY, well, thank you. Surprisingly good all-around tires. I'd put them up as better than the Kenda Nevegal (so far) yet they have dramatically less rolling resistance. Wet rides to come will tell though.
    2. Marzocchi RC2x damping system on my fork somehow has been infused with Eldritch Magick. Works eerily well. Even at 180mm travel doesn't bob excessively even in out-of-saddle climbing yet it slurps up trail more aggressively than an EF5 Tornado. Wicked.
    3. Thank the heavens for Magura Louise Brakes for their ability to reel me back from the Point of No Return.
    4. My new Straitline pedals rock. I've only been on platform pedals (from clip-less Time ATAC) since Sept, but even with some cheap-azz shoes these pedals work great. Over yesterdays rides I counted three times when I missed not being "attached" to the bike. Now I just need to get some real shoes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great Pictures Ted. Sounds like some hefty riding that tends to payoff, in pain/pleasure!

Rolling on 650b
    Holy crap that's a lot of riding in one day, 'specially this early in the season.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Clipless, yes, yes it was, and is a big part of why i'm typing on a keyboard today (and catching up on household and homework and stuff like that). But you make me feel better about it with your post.

I'm so sore. "It hurts soooo gooood."

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Jeff, you're reading the wrong digit, the total elevation DIFFERENCE between the two ends of Weiser Rd is only about 100'
    Oh yeah, oops. I was writing that at 6:20am, pre-coffee

mtbr member

Incredible!

Man you are hardcore! What a ride/adventure day. Your giving Chriffer a run for his money in the super hardcore rider awards lately. Next time you come to ride up my way i am expecting you to arrive on your bike(no car for the trip)! Ride On! And thanks for the post and pics.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thats a hell of a day Bear. I was shot after the morning. Thanks again for the help with the flat. Let me know when you guys are heading down to JIm Thorpe.