trail addict

Roaring Creek Question

I was introduced to the Ridge Trail by a guy who rides there all the time. He took us a pretty good way out, but not all the way to Natalie. So the other day, I made it further than he originally took me and I am still wondering how far until I would be linking up with the "other end". I made it to a large clearing with a couple of techy rock sections where there were almost nothing but blueberries for 100 yds in every direction, then shortly after, I came to a place where the trail skirts around a posted DCNR area. I went maybe another quarter-mile or so, then figured it was time to head back.

So I was wondering how far out I was. More than halfway, I hope. It is hard to judge because I don't have an odometer and I wasn't keeping a very fast pace. I hope I was at least 3-4 miles out.

Also, any insight about where to start to ride the trails from the Natalie side? I heard there is some fun stuff over there.

Thanks,
    Jamie
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have started at the reservoir on the Natalie side but be ready for the 800-foot vertical gain as soon as you hit the singletrack

mtbr member
    We usually ride in from the state parking lot on 54 - 3 miles on the road that runs along the reservoir takes you to "Old Natalie Road" - this climbs up to the singletrack. For more details on finding stuff from this side, you could pm my brother, "nankerphelge" - he has ridden from that end more often than I have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have ridden most of the stuff (I think) on the ridge, the three climbs/descents close to Natalie that connect to the valley gravel road, and the trails on the east side of Rt.42 near Aristis .

Are there any trails in the valley besides the gravel road that goes across? I have been on the beginning of a trail on the north side of the middle reservoir but ran out of time and had to turn back.

thanks!

Keep on Rockin...

About 8 miles...

from Natalie to Aristes along the Ridge Trail. Once you hit Rt 42. (the Aristes, or East end) cross into the small dirt parking lot and from there you can hit up various loops. Most easy to find and enter is the single track on the north side of the lot, maybe about 35 yards to the left of the gate.

Outside of those sections of trail there are many more miles of trail available but they are not easy to find.

The annual coal cracker mountain bike weekend bash is toward the end of Sept and there will be large group rides the whole weekend.