trail addict

Roaring Creek, Natalie side

I was out for a ride today on the Natalie side. Old mine roads and singletrack. I was surprised by the amount of pink marking tape all over the place. At first I though maybe someone was surveying the trails to put out better signs or a nice map. Some were written on with sharpie, others just blank. One in particular was labeled "Hidden Bike Trail" and it got me wondering if all the surveying might end up being a bad thing for mtbers. I also saw a DCNR truck a ways out, but didn't see a ranger or anyone around.

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on and any impact to riding?
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There was a person lost in the forest in the last week. The ribbons were probably from gird searches, to mark that the area had been searched.
    Not sure about the hidden bike trail marking though.

Roaring Creek, Natalie side

^pretty much this. An avid runner from elysburg went missing in RC last Wednesday, 6/18. Was in his mid 50's. There was a massive missing person hunt going on for about a week. He was found deceased a few days ago within the state forest. I was out on the Aristes side last weekend and there was about 50 cars there.

trail addict
    Wow, I had no idea. I have often thought about how easy it would be for someone to get in over his/her head with all the roads looking pretty similar. And how hard it could be to find someone who was lost.

My last time there must have been right before the search because I was there last week, too.

Thanks for the info.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

He was actually found in the reservoir near the RT 54 state forest parking lot, cause of death determined to be drowning, no foul play suspected.