Spring! Spring! Spring!

Roaring Creek Conditions 2014/3/16

Not quite as bad overall as the picture shows, but there's a bunch of snow waiting to melt. Predictably, on the north-facing and particularly in shaded areas. The character of the snow went from a soft couple inches to a very hard couple inches, hard enough to probably hold up to a fat bike going over it.

I "rode" the trail from 42 towards 54, taking the road up to the normal entry onto "pipeline" and proceeding. I didn't try more than half way as from my memory the trail spent so much time on north facing slope that I didn't want to simply be walking through. Soo I changed routes to ...

The black road "trail" that runs atop the ridge is a mixture of softened gravel/dirt/coal residue (depending on composition and water content), snow, ice, and some dry sections. Some standing water in some areas. Makes for a quite messy bike and butt post-ride.

8-mile, as some call it, the 7.5ish mile road between highways 42 and 54 is basically clear, some melting water running onto it making it soft in limited areas but not a problem.

I didn't foray onto the singletrack on the south side, didn't really have time, I expect it's largely in better shape but at least with my limited knowledge it's harder to 'loop' so I didn't.

I figure that another couple days of warmth like we had last week and it'd be mostly melted off, BUT there will be a lot of wet trail on the north face and low-lying trail, so please be patient.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Bear I'll be back in the area next weekend, you want to meet up and get some trails in if any are open? Rattling, or AS? Or a Road Ride.
    Climbing Builds Character

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    That'd be very cool. I'm limited to not-Sunday as I have a family thing in MD that day, but Fri and Sat are currently open. ;^)

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Saturday Might work then, need to talk to Adam and Ron see whats going to shake down....not sure what's rideable and what's not.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Come on give me a heads up next time haha.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I thought about driving straight to your house, but failed to execute.

Next time, for sure.

mtbr member
    Hahah only kidding you. I couldn't get my bike to work right anyway. My XT clutch broke so I am going to have that warrantied. Got an XTR for it and you'd think all would be good but I cannot get the shifting dialed in correctly. I'm waiting for a new housing and cable tomorrow and will try again. Kind of stinks because the first time around with the old derailleur it was almost bolt on and ride.

23 Mar 2014 Update

Top of the mountain: 99.9% clear of snow, trails are dry and firm, pretty much perfect. Valley trails: 95% clear of snow, trails are suprisingly dry except for the usual soggy areas. The only trail that's predictably messy is Corduroy.

Roaring Creek Conditions 2014/3/16-img_1234-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Same experience on Friday for me. Gosh was it fun to be out there again mixing it up. Passed 2 other riders along the way as well. What trail is Corduroy btw do you have a Strava?

roaring2 by adamkob, on Flickr

roaring1 by adamkob, on Flickr

--Adam

Corduroy's not something to seek out, and has no useful purpose other than to be used as a connector trail if you drop down from the top of the mountain to do a homestead/headwaters loop, but then want to climb back up the mountain. Strava, no.

Roaring Creek Conditions 2014/3/16-rc.jpg

mtbr member
    Ahhh ok I know where your at now. I usually just follow headwaters all the way around and then up the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the updates. I was wondering if Roaring Creek would be ridebale. Guess i will be checking out the trails next weekend!

mtbr member
    Was at the parking up top yesterday pre ride by the water tank and had someone stop in a Rubicon to ask about trails. Was that anyone on here I was not able to catch a name from them?