trail addict

Roaring Creek-Aristes-parking question?

Where is a good place to park now that all the construction is going on near Aristes? I thought maybe I'd use the pull-off where the trail crosses 42 near the water tower (S of construction, N of town) but it seems like a bit of a sketchy place to leave the vehicle. I know the shoulder is also really wide right across from the construction, I used to see guys parked there once in a while, but I'd rather stay away from the construction completely.

Ehh, maybe I'll ride the Natalie side instead...
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've been riding from Natalie side.

You could also park in the lot at the *bottom* of the hill on either side, then *climb* the hill and go ride.

Bit of a "steep entry fee" but you always finish with a DH run that way!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There is a small parking area where the service road goes in to the water tower at Aristes. I have been using that while the construction is under way.

I've been mostly parking at the playground in Natalie, but if I ride Aristes I would park across the street from the water tower - the sketchy location. I don't think it's any more sketchy than the main parking lot where there's construction now.

mtbr member

Re: Roaring Creek-Aristes-parking question?

Parking at the top is not "sketchy" ? Been parking there for years. The bottom lot is nice if you require a "parking lot".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    You could also park in the lot at the *bottom* of the hill on either side, then *climb* the hill and go ride.

Bit of a "steep entry fee" but you always finish with a DH run that way!
    Always my favorite option hahah. Parking at the top on either side is no big deal either, never had any issues.

trail addict
    Yeah, sketchy is maybe not the best adjective... I just feel kinda funny about parking alongside a state highway. AND I'm trying to remember what visibility is like there for pulling back out. I also don't want to "advertise" a trailhead by parking right in front of it if the locals/regulars are not cool with it.

As for parking at the bottom and riding up... that sounds like a lot of work. I usually go to the Aristes side to ride the ridge and stuff, where the trails are rough, but punishing climbs are few.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.