Inbred Homebrewer

Roadie-related, but need help ASAP!

Hi all,

I'm trying to plot the best route to ride from my house (Hatboro, Montgomery County) to my girlfriend's parents' house in New Cumberland (outside Harrisburg). The most direct route (and the way we normally drive) is ~100 miles due West on the PA turnpike but, obviously, I can't ride on the Turnpike (not legally or safely, anyway).

So, has anyone ever done a ride similar to this one? I'm trying to avoid metro areas as much as possible. The problem is, I don't want to go too far out of my way to avoid them because 100 mi/day +/- is about all I'm good for. I posted a message over on the roadbikereview board about the bikePA S route http://www.bikepa.com and I may just try to follow that as far as possible, then head north once I get closer to Harrisburg. Obviously, I'll be checking lots of maps beforehand but I'd still like to have info re: which roads are most bike-friendly.

Thanks in advance for any info!!!!
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

my church is the woods

western part here

If you can get to French Creek, I can give you a pretty good route from there. Cross rt. 10 and continue on Maple Grove Road to Alleghenyville road. Cross 222 then bear right on a back road through Adamstown to route 897. Follow 897 through Shaefferstown and bear left onto 419 toward Cornwall. Follow 419 through Quentin to 322. Follow 322 through Hershey to Hummelstown. Find Derry Street and ride that into Harrisburg. Then Cross the City Island Bridge and you'll be just north of New Cumb.

I have ridden all of this before and it is a nice ride..have fun. The part from Rt. 10 to 222 is pretty hilly, but the rest is pretty flat and rolling.

Inbred Homebrewer
    That's similar to the route I outlined on my map. Biggest problem with it is that my way of getting to French Creek sans car is convoluted and lengthy (not to mention out of the way!). Before I read your post, my plan was something like this:

Rte 263 north from my house to Rte 313.
    Rte 313 through Quakertown, where it turns into 663.
    663 through Pottstown until it connects with 23
    Then I was just going to take 23 to 322, 322 through Hershey, etc.

I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    If you can get to French Creek, I can give you a pretty good route from there. Cross rt. 10 and continue on Maple Grove Road to Alleghenyville road. Cross 222 then bear right on a back road through Adamstown to route 897. Follow 897 through Shaefferstown and bear left onto 419 toward Cornwall. Follow 419 through Quentin to 322. Follow 322 through Hershey to Hummelstown. Find Derry Street and ride that into Harrisburg. Then Cross the City Island Bridge and you'll be just north of New Cumb.

I have ridden all of this before and it is a nice ride..have fun. The part from Rt. 10 to 222 is pretty hilly, but the rest is pretty flat and rolling.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson