mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Ridley State Park

Anyone know the history of mt biking there? Seems like there is a ton of singletrack and even more signs saying "no riding". Same goes for neighboring Tyler Arboretum. Were bikes allowed then banned? Has there been any effort to open them up? Just moved to the area and just curious.

Hoopy Frood

Trails were once open

The trails used to be open to mountain biking. I don't know the exact details but I've heard from people who rode their before the trails were closed. I believe it was 4 or 5 years ago.

I can't remember exactly why they were closed but I believe it's the usual story: trail conflicts resulting in closures because hikers are better organized, better represented, and have more commitment to trailwork/volunteering/upkeep.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

Dirt Diva Little h

Ridley Park

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Burgess
    Anyone know the history of mt biking there? Seems like there is a ton of singletrack and even more signs saying "no riding". Same goes for neighboring Tyler Arboretum. Were bikes allowed then banned? Has there been any effort to open them up? Just moved to the area and just curious.

I live about 5 minutes from the park and have wondered the same thing for years. I do know that people do ride there illiegally and if caught they will take your ride. If you are looking for rides we go 1-2 times a week to all different locations( french creek, fairhill, middle run, wiss, marsh creeek, penny pack). We do night rides and snow rides too.

Pull my finger
    Quote Originally Posted by khill
    The trails used to be open to mountain biking. I don't know the exact details but I've heard from people who rode their before the trails were closed. I believe it was 4 or 5 years ago.

I can't remember exactly why they were closed but I believe it's the usual story: trail conflicts resulting in closures because hikers are better organized, better represented, and have more commitment to trailwork/volunteering/upkeep.
    I've lived in the area for about 10 years and have never known the trails to be open for riding - the only legal part of the park is the multi-use paved trail. I have seen people riding the trails there very occasionally (including one muppet in armour and full-face helmet who came flying out of the woods onto the multi-use, then disappeared into the woods on the other side, leaving a bunch of walkers standing there shocked. So much for stealth )

Now broadcasting from CO

I have lived about 10 min...

from Ridley for 15 years and have never known the trails to be open to MTBs. It's kind of sad, cause there is some really nice singletrack there, I've hiked it plenty of times. I don't know if I would pass up French Creek to ride ther though...
    Brought to you by rocks.

Respect Your Trails
    How can I get more info on when you guys go for rides? Is it just a get together of people, a group from a bike shop, a mtb club? I'm always looking for people to ride with. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by heather@thebakkers.com
    I live about 5 minutes from the park and have wondered the same thing for years. I do know that people do ride there illiegally and if caught they will take your ride. If you are looking for rides we go 1-2 times a week to all different locations( french creek, fairhill, middle run, wiss, marsh creeek, penny pack). We do night rides and snow rides too.

Hoopy Frood

Maybe my source is full of crap

Another biker from the area told me once that he used to ride in Ridley Creek when the trails were open to bikes. When I asked him about it, he mentioned that the trails were open but had been closed in the late nineties due to pressure from hikers.

Anyway, you could find out the situation from either the contact information at the bottom of this page:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...dleycreek.aspx

or maybe this group:

http://www.friendsofrcsp.org/

Looks like they do trailwork the first Saturday of each month.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I live pretty close & have been there a few times recently.

No bikes allowed on the dirt trails, just the paved multi use one. Nice park and the paved trail is nice for easy riding or with a group. You can always ride on the roads within the park too but I get lost just driving through there.