mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Riding sugestions around Allentown

Hi There,

I am going to be in the Allentown area over the weekend and am wondering if anyone can suggest some trails in the area that are worth checking out.

Thanks

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

12 year old info

Quote Originally Posted by trener1
    Hi There,

I am going to be in the Allentown area over the weekend and am wondering if anyone can suggest some trails in the area that are worth checking out.

Thanks
    When I moved from Bethlehem in '92, I used to commute either along the Lehigh Canal towpath, flat but should be pretty this time of year; or along a trail that starts behind St. Lukes Hospital in Ft. Hill that parallels a power line cut along the river and eventually merges with a dirt road which, if you turn right, then pops out in east Allentown, where you can then access the Little Lehigh Parkway which has a wide bridal path you can ride.
    All pretty tame, but still worthy of a look-see.
    For a big ride, you can ride the Lehigh Canal towpath from Allentown, past Bethlehem and Freemansburg, to Easton, and then get on the Delaware Canal towpath heading south. I used to turn inland at Riegelsville and take hilly dirt roads from there, eventually rejoining pavement at Wassargass (yes it's a place) and back to Bethlehem thru Hellertown. Excellent mixed-media ride for a cross bike.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Hi There,

Thanks
    What kind of riding are you looking for?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg
    What kind of riding are you looking for?
    I'm looking for a decent mix of some intermediate level single track, maybe with a mix of some
    jeep type trails, something that might give a good three hour ride.

Inbred Homebrewer
    I'm looking for a decent mix of some intermediate level single track, maybe with a mix of some
    jeep type trails, something that might give a good three hour ride.
    If you don't mind driving a half hour to 45 minutes (depending on exactly where in/around Allentown you're staying) check out Blue Marsh Lake recreation area. 30 miles of trails around the lake. Nice mix of single and doubletrack, rolling with a handful of steep climbs and fun descents. It's closer to Reading than Allentown, but it's worth the trip.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    bikevmb.com is the local IMBA club- we have a ride going out Sunday morning in Tamaqua, or if you want Saturday as well, look up S. Mountain Emmaus for a good 1.5 hour ride, or Jordan Creek for about the same in a spiderweb of trails- Give me an e-mail directly if you want, I am the pres. of VMB dankilling@bikevmb.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    bikevmb.com is the local IMBA club- we have a ride going out Sunday morning in Tamaqua, or if you want Saturday as well, look up S. Mountain Emmaus for a good 1.5 hour ride, or Jordan Creek for about the same in a spiderweb of trails- Give me an e-mail directly if you want, I am the pres. of VMB dankilling@bikevmb.com

the LV towpath is good for leisurely flat-ground riding, i always ride between bethlehem and freemansburg.

for good singletrack and varied terrain, go to Jacobsburg, there's a lot of fun to be had there... it's right around Easton, just zip up Rt 22E and then like 5 minutes on Rt 33.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...spx#directions

...then if you want to really get a workout, head 40 minutes west of Allentown to Lenhartsville, the section of the Appalachian Trail out there is amazing.

good views, good trails to ride on, technical though at times, but there's always the access road that goes right up the side of the mountain if you don't want to deal with the bumpy trail. this place simply rocks, my dad first introduced me to the Pulpit/Pinnacle hike when i was 6 and i go there all the time to hike and bike.

http://www.hikepa.com/trails/southea...ulpit_rock.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    unfortunately, you can't ride the AT- its hiker-only....but the horseshoe trail is out there in Weiser state forest which is a great ride