Thread: Riding in PA

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Riding in PA

I plan on going to VA from Rochester, NY for Thanksgiving. Anyone in Maryland or PA interested in showing me some trails? I am decent rider. This summer I did a 150 mile road ride in a day, and an 86 mile mtn bike ride. I can keep up w/ most non-pro level riders. I am also willing to give another rider a ride down if someone needs transportation along that route. I have a 3 bike roof rack and will have room for one more bike up top.

I'd would be super grateful to anyone who would show me some trails, and possibly give me a place to stay for a night to break up the drive. I'll sleep on the floor. I have lights and love to ride trails at night! I am also wilderness first aide trained.

I am looking to drive down Sunday or Monday of this coming week, 11/22 or 11/23.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What route are you taking? That will narrow down who's around....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Driving

I plan on head S. on 81. I anyone knows a better route to avoid traffic and hit trails, I'm all for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm sure we could find a ride in Scranton/Wilkes-barre PA. Sundays are easier to have more options because there's no hunting in PA on Sundays. In my area the only real good option to avoid hunters is Moon Lake park which is about 10-15 minutes off 81. There's an out of town person who will be around Saturday who I'll probably meet up with. I am the usual tour guide for Moon Lake.

The Rattling Creek people would be along your way as well. So would Michaux, but I have very little clue on both of these. We need to do a roadtrip that direction soon. I'm not sure how far into VA you are going, but just on this side of Roanoke is Carvin's Cove which I was at about a month ago and was a nice place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Thanks!

Great map spots in the link!

I love seeing new trails! Would you be interested in doing a night ride on Monday?

I'll be going to Williamsburg.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cgj21
    Great map spots in the link!

I love seeing new trails! Would you be interested in doing a night ride on Monday?

I'll be going to Williamsburg.
    Yeah, that should work for me. There's some people who might avoid riding when the forecast is 43 degrees with a chance of rain, but I'm not scared. Some of the trails might be quite interesting slick and at night for your first time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Rattling Creek is a perfect spot to hit on Sunday. No hunting, and about 30 minutes off 81. Michaux is another winner just off 81. Wish I could join you for RCST but I'm about 90 minutes too far to the east... good luck!

Gravity's Gone
    Exit 116 on I-81 is 20 minutes from Roaring Creek. Rattling creek is also an excellent suggestion a bit further south.