DiscoCowboy

Riding Michaux Monday 6/4 - Looking for Info

I grew up riding Michaux, but haven't been back to ride in about 4 years. A group of us from MD area are coming up and we'll probably do the Curse of Dark Hollow loop. I want everyone on the ride to experience 3 mile trail and the climb up Dead Woman's Hollow.

Are there any new trails you would recommend ?
    What's the best place to park (and where is the trailhead in relation)?

We used to park on Big Flat (I believe) there was a parking lot and the AT crossed. If I'm remembering correctly what trail did that start you out on?

Any other advice would be appreciated.
    -j

Also how are the trail markings, pretty easy to follow if you have a map?
    Last edited by Allroy; 06-28-2006 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member
    You either have to ride the fireroad from bigflat to hit 3 mile trail first, or take the AT itself (I know you're not supposed to but...)

I would make sure you include grave ridge, one of my all time Favorites out there. Have fun!

my church is the woods

check this link

http://www.racemichaux.com/ has links to maps. Actually the 3 mile trail and dead womans hollow climb are part of the expert/monster loop in the spring Maximus race. A good place to start is parking along 233 at one of the parking areas near woodrow rd. then you could do a great loop that kinda encircles your car. climb up dead womans hollow, across 3 mile, down rattlesnake, and then cross 233 and hit graves ridge and more.

mtbr member
    Last time I rode rattlesnake ridge, about 1.5 years ago, they had just clearcut the lower portion and it made finding the trail really difficult, we had to bail out to the road. Is it better now?

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    Last time I rode rattlesnake ridge, about 1.5 years ago, they had just clearcut the lower portion and it made finding the trail really difficult, we had to bail out to the road. Is it better now?
    it appears to be better now. I don't have first hand knowledge...I haven't done it this season, but the 2006 Maximus map shows the race coming down it.

mtbr member
    Hi, i'm a NJ rider here and i will be coming through the area and want to hit Michaux. I plan on DL'ing the Spring Maximus '06 monster loop race map linked above, and following it. I was wondering, on that map approximately how long that loop is without the green "monster only" section. Anyone have an estimate?

Thanks for the help..

mtbr member
    Actually i just found that the loop 25 miles, which is a little too much for me, i think i'm going to take that loop that moonracker said above: "A good place to start is parking along 233 at one of the parking areas near woodrow rd. then you could do a great loop that kinda encircles your car. climb up dead womans hollow, across 3 mile, down rattlesnake, and then cross 233 and hit graves ridge and more"

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the insightful conversation.

PA rocks!

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    Thanks for all the insightful conversation.

PA rocks!
    You're welcome