mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Riding July 20-22....Moon, Moosic,Merli

Hello All,

I"m planning on heading to NE PA area to ride the weekend. Not sure where to ride yet and thinking or Moon Lake Park, Moosic, Merli or Prompton Dam. Anyone interested in riding or any group rides planned for that weekend? Also anyone know the campground website for Moon Lake Park?
    Thanks,
    Lance

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Lance,

Sadly they cut the budget for Moon Lake to zero a few years back and the pool and campground were closed. Your next closest to Moon would be Ricketts Glen SP or Frances Slocum SP I can't say weather or not I'll be riding Moon lake as we have our MTB race the next week at HCGA, and that weekend will prolly be setting up for the race. Not to say others won't be at Moon riding as it is a very popular place!

For Moosic and Merli you might try looking on Facebook for "HUbbard bike club" and asking there for rides for those places. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Hubb...group_activity

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the info! I'm coming from out of town, so if you where making this trip what three parks would you hit??? I rode Merli & Moosic a few years ago and really liked both, but always looking for new places to ride.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    How long (time/miles) of a ride(s) are you looking for? I could probably be around for at least one of those days.

If conditions allow then you may also want to think about Lackawanna SP.

mtbr member
    Though Prompton is one of my favorites, it's currently a mess. The bridges at the far end of the lake are washed out. It took 2 of us 20 minutes just to get off of the 'old 170' pavement. A lot of the trails cross creeks. The trails to and from the creeks have unfortunately washed out. It's left rocks, gravel and roots in some of the ruts that are a foot deep on the trails we climb and descend. The downpours must have left the water 'sheeting' down the hillsides causing the leafs, branches and mud/dirt to wash down. I'm usually over there a couple times a year trimming back the West and Orchard trails, but haven't had the time (or weather) this year to help out. Moosic and Merli should be OK. Ttyl, Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    All the good places have been mentioned...

...it's really your pick, all these places are great, have different terrain, and have lots of friendly riders always willing to ride with ya or help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    bummed about Prompton but good to know. I was too tired to ride there on my trip a few years ago plus the dam was under construction. Lackawanna sounds good and would make for shorter drive time to do Merli and Moosic if I camp there as well.

@Bear I would like to do all of Merli and/or Moosic but unsure of the miles at those parks. At Lackawanna I guess 12 to 18 miles.....not worried about time as I'm leaving the family home :-) . Hell I could ride recover ( Advil,caffeine and gel shots ) and try to go out again. I'm also not 100% committed to what parks yet, but for getting a camp site it looks like Lackawanna SP is almost booked up.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    You'll find a lot more than 12 to18 at Lackawanna, Countryside Conservancy lands abut the state park and the maps are outdated, in fact more land is surveyed and planned to be added in the future. The Lilly Lake loop is a really cool one, last time out we saw 2 bears there, but they weren't interested in mt bikers, after all it is mating season!...LOL

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I don't know Merli as well, but my "Moosic Death Spiral" comes in around 16-17 miles and I *think* it doesn't miss anything. I "usually" Blueberry in both directions and Conglomerate twice (different side elements).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't even know what I did at Moosic.... seemed like one big loop and I don't think Blueberry was there yet or I did not know about it....I might be getting over my head trying to do 3 big days, but I could always sit at camp and just eat and drink.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I think Merli rounds out at 14 miles from old GPS files, even with Zipline added the old trails that were logged ends up equal.

What really depends at Merli is if the rocks are sweating or have a misty rain on them your gonna work way harder than on a dry day! Same at Prompton not so at Moosic, lots of traction there wet or dry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm in from FL the 17-22, I'd be up for a ride that weekend. I'm going to try to get to the Moon to do the weekly ride and then hit up LSP/Merli/Moosic over the weekend.

I'll check in on the post to followup. Looking like early Saturday or later Sunday would work best for me at this point...
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    We may be able to figure something out. I made reservations at LSP and should get there by around 3ish on Saturday. I would like to ride LSP or Moosic that late afternoon and do the one of the two on Sunday. I plan to do Merli on Monday before I make my way home.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    surprised I haven't seen Seven Tubs mentioned. I see bikers there on a daily basis. I live within walking distance or I ride the downhill trail behind my house to the powerlines to get there. the terrain ranges from intermediate to very hardcore with some paths leaning dangerously close to one of the "seven tubs", huge pools of water within a creek system that was carved by glaciers millions of years ago. Some of the drops are over 30 feet. in fact we used to cliff dive there into the one of the tubs higher up. they are extremely deep but some look about the size of a large puddle.

there is also miles and miles of single and double trails usually traversed by motobikes and atvs, but not often. If you don't mind using powerline roads to get there, which are actually pretty fun with a really nice winding, huge downhill section with loads of different trails off of the road. close by also is the Sandpit which again has some wicked trails with numerous small creek crossings, gnarly roots and ruts in some spots, good mix of both up and downhill and tech sections. lot of fun can be had at the Sandpit but hard to find if your not local.

Seven Tubs Nature Area if you'd like, is off 115 3 miles from the Turnpike entrance and almost guaranteed to have other riders there early in the am.
    heres some footage Mountain Bike Ride seven Tubs 12-26-10 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It doesn't matter if you ride prompton or not but its worth knowing I have most all the trails & water crossings fix .The one bridge is still out but there is aready a little path to get around it. I still have some work here & there but for the most part the trails are riding real good,(dry too)happy trails, KP

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    7 tubs sound interesting, but I think I'm going to be a bit north to hit that...unless it's closer to LSP than Moosic?

KP....That's great to know. I do want to hit Prompton. We'll see.

After 8am Saturday I will be off line, so if any rides come up or anyone looking to ride...text or phone is 585-two one six-5881 and I should be at LSP by 3pm ish...