mtbr member
    May 2008

Riding in Greensburg Area

Moving to the Greensburg area. I am looking for some places to ride that are within a half hour of town so I can get some spinning in after work. All your input is appreciated

mtbr member
    I assume you mean mt bike? I live in Greensburg.

To get after the goods, you are going to be pushing just outside of 30 minutes, but there are some great places near by.

I ride Laurel Mt a lot. Once you know the trail system, it's a great place, truly. Depending on where you are actually living in Gbg, it can be 30-35 minutes or so by the time you are on top of the mountain and parked.

7Springs and the surrounding areas are also worth the drive...though again you probably are slightly more than 30 minutes from those areas.

In the other direction, you've got Apollo, Boyce, Frick, South Park, Morraine, etc.

Where are you moving from? Do you know the area at all? And you don't have to tell me exactly, but whereabouts in Greensburg are you moving to? That would help me give you some better guidance....

Welcome to the area..

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks Mike. I am moving from Uniontown. I will be living off of old route 66. I wasn't sure if there were some local low key mtb trails around town. I normally ride a lot in Quebec, Big Bear, other areas. I have ridden springs before and laurel hill also. Great places, I didn't realize they were that close. Aboutr how far is Apollo. I have read that it is a cool place to ride. I close on my house this Thurs and will miss having some great trails so close to home.

thanks

mtbr member
    Unless there is something I don't know about, there really aren't any local trails, which stinks. There's a relatively new bike/skate park near town on land the county owns and I have often thought that someone should make the pitch to the county that they need some mtb trails out there.

Where you are going to be living, Laurel Mt is probably more than 35 mins. I have a Gbg mailing address, but live in Unity township, which is east of Greensburg and therefore closer to Laurel Mt. So I tend to think of it as about 30 mins but its probably more than that from downtown Greensburg.

Boyce might be one of your closest options. It's off of route 22 b/w Murrysville and Monroeville, so you would just head out 66 to 22. It wouldn't take that long.

Apollo (Roaring Run Watershed) is probably 35-40 minutes due north of Greensburg and you would basically head straight up 66, so this might also be a good option for you.

mtbr member
    There are some trails at Twin Lakes, which is just up the road from the skate park. I haven't been out there for a few years, but I just asked on another forum and was told that people still ride out there. Boyce is pretty convenient from Gbg and has great trails. I used to live off of 819 and could make it there in a 30 minutes.
    1995 Cannondale M500, Amp F3XC Fork
    1996 Scott Vertigo LSD (FS), Judy XC Fork
    2009 Windsor Cliff 29 Pro, RS Tora Race

mtbr member
    Twin Lakes does have a small network of trails to ride and I ride it every once in a while if I can't get out to any other trails.

Greensburg and Latrobe are also riddled with dirt bike and quad trails that weave back and forth across the rail road tracks. They aren't ideal, but can be enjoyable when Laurel Mountain, Boyce, etc can't be reached. If you start near the skate park you can ride a bunch of the trails both near the lakes and running along the train tracks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If you're right off 66 on the west/north side of town Apollo shouldn't be more than 20 or 25 minutes. Boyce would be 35 to 40 depending on time of day. I live in Monroeville and dated a girl from Greensburg for years so I know the area well.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks for all the info guys

mtbr member
    apollo is exactly 30 min from downtown greensburg. you might also want to check out pleasant valley and duff park in murrysville. they are both about 15-20 min from greensburg, both parks are kinda small but the riding is good.

Nice no rass
    I haven't checked it out, but I see MTB'ers riding trails in White Oak park in N. Huntingdon all the time.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks guys

Life is Good
    Twin Lakes still has some fun trails. You can set up a loop with the horse trail that is all singletrack. There is also a connector trail that will link you up to some dirt bike trails near the power lines that go on for a looong time.

Also, as others mentioned, various dirt bike trails run up and along the hills near the train tracks. I graduated from SVC and I used to ride once a day on those trails straight from campus. A few of them are gone now due to new housing developments, but there are still a lot of them there.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain