mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Riding during hunting season (Lancaster County and surrounding areas)

So being new to the area, it is my understanding that there is no hunting on Sunday.

I also understand there is no hunting at Governor Dick in Mt. Gretna.

So, I assume if you want to ride Monday-Saturday, you should ride Gretna. Anywhere else, go Sunday? What about night riding? I know Camp Mack allows it...

Also, what about White Clay Creek in Deleware? I tried to look it up, and it looks to me like it falls under PAs DCNR for some reason? Does that mean a trip there this Saturday would not be a good idea?

Sorry to be ignorant to this, but I don't wanna mess anything up, or find myself in a not-so-safe situation. Even though my bike is obnoxiously bright orange.

my church is the woods
    here is that hunting schedule. Basically, stay off gamelands during hunting times. Sundays are good to go anywhere. Gretna (gov.dick) and camp mack are the safe places during hunting times.

Tomorrow is the Fair Hill Jamboree, I usually go, it's a fun time, and a good way to learn your way around the place.

Also, next Friday, the 5th is the Gov.dick night ride, with access to ALL the trails there. Another fun time with lots of fun people to ride with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I wanted to make the Gov Dick ride next weekend, but we're going to the cabin that weekend.

Might head to Fair Hill tomorrow though...

What about White Clay Creek?

banned
    Apr 2009
    You have to do Fair Hill (that is probably best Singletrack I have ever ridden)----Crackhead Bob, etc..

I think The Wiss is the Best trail ever (with location, etc)--

ALSO at Central Park (Lancaster County Park) they had to put up NO HUNTING signs there a few years ago (and people know they should not be hunting there at all!!)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    I think The Wiss is the Best trail ever (with location, etc)--
    I agree with this statement. I grew up in Cornwall, right outside Gov Dick so i would always ride camp mack, pumping station, and gov dick. I rode french creek a good bit too and went to blue marsh a few times. Swatara Park is nice too, but i am not sure about the hunting rules up there.The best trails IMO are the Wiss. Riding during the week and weekend you will not have a problem or worry about hunters.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Be mindful that many state parks allow hunting.

You can also, in theory, safely ride after dark as hunting past night-fall is illegal.