banned

Riding in Camp Hill area?

My mother-in-law lives in Camp Hill, and we go to visit once a month or so. Is there any good, moderately technical XC riding in the area? I'm not impressed by the entries in my PA Mountain Biking guidebook. It seems as well that a lot of the trails in the review section are on state game lands and have been all but closed to mountain bikes.

So is there any good dirt in the Camp Hill/Harrisburg area, or should I just keep bringing the road bike?

Thanks,

Drew
    Last edited by Drewdane; 01-28-2004 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Ah, why the heck not?

my church is the woods

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Yes, but...

You got to drive a little to get to some of the best trails in the state...Michaux state forest. There is soo many trails there. If you can, try to ride the April and July races there to get to know some of the trails. Otherwise, try to track down some local riders to learn the trails. Or get a Forest service map, a compass and put on your climbing legs. Michaux is about 35 miles SW of Camp Hill. I live in Lebanon an it's about 70 miles for me, but well worth the trip at least a few times a year.
    I don't know the Camp Hill area that well, but I know there are some short tech- north shore type stuff off the Greenbelt in Harrisburg.
    York county you have Rocky Ridge and Lake Redman, but again its a drive.
    If you shoot down the turnpike east 25 miles to Lebanon exit, you will be right at Mt. Gretna which is my local stomping grounds. Lots of fun trails around here.
    D

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What part of he Harrisburg Greenbelt is the North Shore type stuff? I ride around Harrisburg on my lunch break.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    you best bet really is .Michaux state forest, that is where we ride, its only 15 min from carlisle so its not bad, and there is so much out there, can always find new stuff, if you want you can email me and tag along with us sometime if you want

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Trails closer to Camp Hill

There are some good trails closer to Camp Hill -

Wieser State Forest, about 1/2 hr N, great singletrack
    http://home.epix.net/~rebjsw/RCSTWeb/

or go about 1/2 hr S to York (Rocky Ridge, Kain, & Spring Valley parks)
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yorkareamountainbikers/ and
    http://www.epgsoft.com/MBYork/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    over on the east shore at the top of the mountian in linglestown is the blue mountian park.I ride from there out to the radio towers west of the park. about a 2 hr. ride. just watch out for hikers.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    You need to adventure around the greenbelt over by 28th street area. It is mainly across the creek and runs in line with the greenbelt itself. There are some nice singletracks cut in there, drops, small wood features, and nice berms. If you ride it, take the time to make improvements to it, fix a rut, keep it nice.

We also ride up at lambs gap and millers gap, legality has been questionable, just stay off the game lands and you will be safe. If it's posted stay out. There are a lot of nice trails up there that from what I know are legal to ride. Don't cut new trails and stay on existing ones.

We also have a pump track built in mechanicsburg/camp hill. If you are interested in riding it then email me or message me. That goes for anyone in the area that is responsible and wants to ride a nice little track.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I don't think the legality of lambs gap and millers gap is questionable. it is sgl and therefore offlimits except for the gravel roads.
    that said, as long as it is not hunting season, it should be ridden.

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    There is land up in the lambs and millers gap area that is not game lands and is not posted. There is some land owned by an nature conservation group and it makes no mention of limitations on the sign. There are also trail heads up in that area that will bring you to the AT area, stay off the AT but again there are other trails in that area that are not game lands and are not posted. Personally I haven't had an issue up there.