mtbr member

Riding in/around ANF

I am going to be taking a long weekend over Memorial Day and spending it at a friends place in Kane, PA. I have done two of the ATV trails in the ANF on prior trips, but that was during the spring thaw time when no ATV's were out there, which will not be the case with this trip.

Has anyone ridden any of the hiking trails (namely Morrison or the North Country Trail, but I am open to any & all suggestions) in the ANF. Kennerdell would be a fall back trail for me, but it is a bit far from where I am staying.

TIA.
    ~j

mtbr member
    I am kinda surprised to have no response...seems like a great area for singletrack possibilities.

ttt.
    ~j

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Ridgeway?

They used to have a mountain bike race in ridgeway some of the locals may be able to tell you where that took place. Rocky Gap ( once again quads paths) outside of Warren has pretty decent riding. I believe most of the Hiking trails in the ANF are off limits to biking. I used to live near Warren but now I am on the other side of the state. Most of the rides consisted of logging roads or going to NY state(Allegheny state park/Ellicotville). There was a guy who owned the Loves canoe rental in Ridgeway had a lot of knowledge of local trails. Best I can help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i grew up near ANF and let me tell you they hide the riding there better than a dog hides a bone.

loves is definitely one of the first places i'd look into, and i know there was good stuff near warren, by chapman damn, iirc.

otherwise, good luck. i hear rumor of some guys around st mary's riding regularly, but no more than rumors. there's also a guy on here goes by WAM, he might know some stuff.

NMBA might have something to do with a ride there shortly, led by someone from st mary's. we'll see. check our forums for more info.

later,
    don

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info!
    I'll check out Loves for some additional info.
    On the ANF website,it lists certain trails that are closed to bikes specifically, however it does say that bikes are allowed on all other trails. This seems to include the Morrison trail and the NCT. (I have also cross posted to the NCT formus to get some additional info on it since I cannot find something published to say that the NCT in PA is closed to bikes. Nothing like kicking a hornets nest on that site.)

Any more info is appreciated.
    Thanks again.