Hail Satin!

Riding across PA

I'm planning on doing this sometime in late spring early summer. I'm thinking of starting in Matamoras and working my way to 6 and just taking 6 the whole way.
    I've driving 6 a billion times on a motorcycle and car so I know the way, where to eat, where to sleep, etc.
    My question to all my peoples in PA is is there a better way to go? Has anybody else done this? Does anybody know of a website or blog of someone I can steal part of my route from?
    I'd rather leave from Philly (near where I live) and pass through Pittsburg. But theres no road I can think of to take me the whole way.
    I know I can follow 30 and just stick to the secondary roads when it turns into the major highway parts.
    But I think riding along 6 would be nicer.
    If only we had a rails to trails that spaned the whole state.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

Can't feel my legs

What are you riding? What are your goals? How much time do you want to spend in the saddle? Are you looking for the semi-quickest route, or best time-is-irrelevant route? Regardless, sounds like good times!!!
    Last edited by jonz; 12-05-2009 at 05:40 PM.

You could always drop south of the state line and take the C & O Towpath rail trail west, then hook up with the Great Allegheny Passage rail trail and go up towards P'burgh that way.

I have some better links on my work computer I'll try to remember to add.

EDIT: Here's a link to the best PA rail trail map that I've found. Maybe it'll be of some help:

Steve Z
    Last edited by swampboy62; 12-07-2009 at 08:58 AM.
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:

Hail Satin!
    I'm building a Vassago Fisticuf CX (they had a black friday sale) up for commuting. And I thought I would give it a good break in ride.
    I'm thinking it will take me 12-14 days to do this. the route and date and all are still up in the air. But I do know if I take 6 I'll be going form East to West. Just the thought of riding from Scranton to Matamoras give me the dry heaves.
    I do the Irish Pub ride as often as I can, but riding across New Jersey is kinda easy as long as there's no wind. So this will be more then 6 times the distance.
    I would prefer the meanderning don't care about time kinda ride. Despite all the crap going on with the budget I do love this state and it is beautiful.
    I've tourde it on car and motorcycle and scooter and I would like to see what it looks like tooling along at 10 or so MPH.
    I just have to decide if I want to camp the whole way across (not sure I want to haul all the crap in a trailer) or do the hotel thing.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

ride more
    Have you thought about doing the Crush the Commonwealth ? I'm thinking about it this year.

Members who have read this thread: 0