mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Riders of the Wissahickon

I was just signing up for the wissahickon trail permit and was going to give a larger than normal donation until I noticed what they have done with the money raised. Instead of using the donated money to maintain trails and/or improve the park, they have hired two rangers to enforce the rules and regulations of the park. This makes me not want to give them any money. If this is really how the money we give them is spent, I would rather all mountain bikers give no money but rather just volunteer their time into maintaining the trails. What do people think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    I was just signing up for the wissahickon trail permit and was going to give a larger than normal donation until I noticed what they have done with the money raised. Instead of using the donated money to maintain trails and/or improve the park, they have hired two rangers to enforce the rules and regulations of the park. This makes me not want to give them any money. If this is really how the money we give them is spent, I would rather all mountain bikers give no money but rather just volunteer their time into maintaining the trails. What do people think?

I agree!!! i have my permit for this year, but this may be the last year i do so also, i am gettin a little tired of NO RANGERS anywere to enforce anything .. especially the HIKERS with there attitudes, and dogs that are NOT ON LEASH.. which is the law, and I would not doubt it if there was NO rangers hired.. I am there all the time, and NEVER see rangers out there.. it seems like the horse back riders and the ignorant hikers have all the say.. even though they are not the ones donating, or helping out during the winter when the trails need it most.......I totally agree with you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abomb
    I agree!!! i have my permit for this year, but this may be the last year i do so also, i am gettin a little tired of NO RANGERS anywere to enforce anything .. especially the HIKERS with there attitudes, and dogs that are NOT ON LEASH.. which is the law, and I would not doubt it if there was NO rangers hired.. I am there all the time, and NEVER see rangers out there.. it seems like the horse back riders and the ignorant hikers have all the say.. even though they are not the ones donating, or helping out during the winter when the trails need it most.......I totally agree with you!
    Ugh, I don't want rangers. I want better trails. I want my money to go to make a better place to ride, not to have rangers with speed guns.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I agree but....

I lived in Manayunk for a few years and always got my permit.

Ideally I would like to see them improve the trails with the money donated but my biggest concern was them closing the trails to mountain bikers all together.

I made sure I got my permit, gave a small amount of money and I marked down that I was using the park for biking.

None of the hikers are going to get permits. So when the park commission went back to evaluate whether or not they should allow mountain bikers, I wanted them to see that we were the only ones giving any money and getting permits.

I love riding Wissahickon and want to make sure we can for years to come. The only way we can keep it open is to show them how many people use it for biking and what they would be giving up if they cut us out.

m2k
    mtbr member
    I just got my "wristband" yesterday after sending my check in - also for a little more than the required $20. I've ridden the hickon the past couple of weekends and I actually think rangers might be a good idea based on what I saw.

Trout season has started and people are fishing the streams there. On opening day I saw one fisherman finish his bottle of beer and just toss it in the water. That'll be nice when some kid steps on it this summer. If a ranger could have been there to do something about a dirtbag like that, then I'm all for it. On the other hand, I was riding last sunday and under one of the bridges near lincoln drive, someone decided to throw a suitcase full of garbage which, of course, opened on impact and was strewn all over the place. I doubt a ranger could have caught that if it was thrown from a moving car, but I guess that would fall under park maintenance (more people to clean litter).

What's the best way to spend the money? I don't know, but like the other poster mentioned, I think the best thing that's happening is when a check comes in and it's from a mountain biker - If more of us fork over the cash and get the permit, they'll be less inclined to close the park to bikers.

mtbr member
    May 2004

wissahickon newbie

i'm new to riding the wissahickon, just picked up a bike the other day. i'm familiar with national parks and what not so i want to make sure i get a permit. what do i need to do? i also just bought a map that shows the trails. it's really great back there! i did some of the yellow trail this morning. anyone have any advice or trail sections definitely worth checking out?

in the getto

trail pass

http://guysbicycles.com/merchant/426...TOKEN=24088924

thats great , if this link dosen't work just go to guy's bicycles web page and highlight local riding. they should send you maps with your pass for wiss and pennypack park
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

m2k
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblonde
    i'm new to riding the wissahickon, just picked up a bike the other day. i'm familiar with national parks and what not so i want to make sure i get a permit. what do i need to do? i also just bought a map that shows the trails. it's really great back there! i did some of the yellow trail this morning. anyone have any advice or trail sections definitely worth checking out?
    Make sure you put a big X on mountain biking on that form. The more riders that send them in, the better! I'd say just follow the map - you can't get lost. If you go there tomorrow or Sunday morning, it's bound to be packed with riders. Just ask someone for directions or even to follow them. I've been riding it a few years now and everyone's pretty friendly. I learned the course from following people I met on the course.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i've been riding small sections of the yellow trail and orange/white trail closest to the springfield ave/valley green entrance and i've found some great climbs and great downhills. i tend not to stray too far from there as that entrance is closest to my house and i haven't had a full day to go off "exploring". (i plan to do that soon). Can anyone recommend a specific pieces of either trail that are really exciting or interesting? Thanks!

Respect Your Trails

Wissahik

I've been riding back there for 3 years now and I've only ever seen 1 ranger. It was on a weekend, and I passed him on the trail. He didn't pay any attention to me though, cause he was flirting with some chick. I think its a waste of money to hire them. The area is too large for 2 or 3 rangers to patrol, even if they were all out at the same time. The money could be used to make improvements to the area, rather than spent on non-existent rangers. Occasionally I see cops on Forbidden drive, and I could only hope that they somtimes can catch some of the people who do the things listed in earlier posts. I guess we're lucky to have a great natural riding area in the city of Philly. But at the same time, you have to realize that the park is part of the city.

As far a trails are concerned. Just go exploring. No matter what trail you take, you will always end up back down on Forbidden Dr. unless it dead ends at a trail head. But if thats the case, just turn around and find the continuing trail. A great trail is on the opposite side of Valley Green. Cross the bridge at Valley Green, and take the trail head that is a gravel trail up a hill on the right immediately after crossing. There are some nice obstacles and downhills along there. Eventually you will end up at the Lincoln Dr. parking lot, but at anytime you can shoot down to Forbidden Dr.

m2k
    mtbr member
    Anyone notice the growing number of REDWOOD-SIZED trees that have fallen in the Wissahickon over the past couple of weeks??? They're all over the place!

I'm starting to worry about getting driven into the ground like a nail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by m2k
    Anyone notice the growing number of REDWOOD-SIZED trees that have fallen in the Wissahickon over the past couple of weeks??? They're all over the place!

I'm starting to worry about getting driven into the ground like a nail.
    I know. Those trees are coming down at an alarming rate. Boy, do we need more trail days in the Wissahickon.

Suburban Redneck
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    I know. Those trees are coming down at an alarming rate. Boy, do we need more trail days in the Wissahickon.
    How does one go about getting involved with trail maintenance at Wis? Just something I think I'd like to do...................

Suburban Redneck
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblonde
    . anyone have any advice or trail sections definitely worth checking out?
    I wish I could remember some of the trails I've stumbled across. I basically follow the yellow, but I've ridden some other sections that were pretty killer and can't seem to find them more than once. Just gotta keep looking I suppose. That's half the fun, right?

Respect Your Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman12
    How does one go about getting involved with trail maintenance at Wis? Just something I think I'd like to do...................
    I ride the Wiss almost everyday, and I was thinking the same thing. I found this group called Jersey Action Riders. They are obviously located in Jersey, but they ride the Wiss alot. They have trail maintnance days every 4th saturday of the month. Tools, gloves everything is supplied. You just show up for a few hours, do some work, and then they usually have a ride, before or after the trail work. Actually this weekend they are having people from IMBA/Subaru teaching a free class both saturday and sunday. Heres the link... http://jerseyactionriders.org/

Suburban Redneck
    I was just down there this morning. Saw a posting at the Inn about the maint. things. I had thought it was every fourth Sunday, but I've been known to be wrong. My only problem is that I work Saturdays until about November, so if it is on Sat, I'm out.................