I'm Local
    Dec 2010

Riders! Please help us keep trails open in Mt. Gretna!

Lets get together! There is a community gathering to put a final end to improper "forest management." Stop logging the Clarence Schock Governor Dick Land Trust. The goal is to replace the board members of this beloved land trust in a very friendly fashion, and/or through lawful means, we absolutely must acquire the deed to this land, to be entrusted to those who love it and hike, bike, jog, and nature watch on this property. Let us finally fulfill Clarence Schock's final wish: that this land be preserved in its pristine condition forever and in perpetuity, for those of us here to enjoy it now and for generations to come.

Mount Gretna Firehall, Boulevard St, Mt. Gretna, PA, 17064. Across from the Mt. Gretna Hideaway. 6PM Friday 3-29-13

We need all the help we can get! Tell a friend!

I'm Local
    Dec 2010
    This has to do with trail closures! Mainly trail #15!!!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    That would be a crime!

sambabiker.com
    From my understanding there may be temporary closures due to safety during the loging that they are currently doing in the park. More info to follow as I confirm the details.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Upset

Pretty sad...
    ...I remember when we were kicked out years ago!

sambabiker.com
    I have confirmed with the Park that there are NO trail closures even being considered.
    The trails that were affected during the recent logging were required to be marked as closed during active cutting. These would include Trail 13, 14, and 15. They are NOT being closed. The logging company is also contracted to repair any damage caused to trails during the logging. The Park is holding money in escrow pending the completion of the repairs.
    Once again - NO trails are being closed. The only closures are/were during active cutting in the area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by macbro24 View Post
    I have confirmed with the Park that there are NO trail closures even being considered.
    The trails that were affected during the recent logging were required to be marked as closed during active cutting. These would include Trail 13, 14, and 15. They are NOT being closed. The logging company is also contracted to repair any damage caused to trails during the logging. The Park is holding money in escrow pending the completion of the repairs.
    Once again - NO trails are being closed. The only closures are/were during active cutting in the area.
    This. All trails should be opened back up within a couple weeks is what I was told.

I appreciate your passion though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It makes me sick to even ride out near old 72 now. All you see is barren land that those loggers are destroying. I understand that they want to try to "have a better variety" of trees around there but there's no reason why THAT much land is being cut down this quickly. And who's to say it'll stop there?
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Kinda makes that old "environmental impact" argument they're always using to close the trails for bikes rather pointless.

sambabiker.com
    When they changed the use policy that closed trails it was not due to impact. It was due to the deed that at one point states "to be enjoyed on foot". Whether you like the logging or not; as a biker it is best to leave it alone. The politics are touchy at the park and it's best not to make waves. Personally I like having the trees around the trails, but in the end the trails are most important. So, we strive to keep them open and limit the impact of logging on the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by PdlPwr View Post
    Kinda makes that old "environmental impact" argument they're always using to close the trails for bikes rather pointless.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by barnold74 View Post
    When they changed the use policy that closed trails it was not due to impact. It was due to the deed that at one point states "to be enjoyed on foot". Whether you like the logging or not; as a biker it is best to leave it alone. The politics are touchy at the park and it's best not to make waves. Personally I like having the trees around the trails, but in the end the trails are most important. So, we strive to keep them open and limit the impact of logging on the trails.
    Not really apposed to logging, the trees will grow back. My point is that the logging I've seen done in my neck of the woods has more of an impact on changing the environment than 100 years worth of bike riding would ever do but no one ever brings that issue up. Yes I agree the use of the parks around here is semi-fragile and I don't like to rock the boat. Just saying the old "environmental impact" argument is rarely about the environment.

sambabiker.com
    Agree. I just wanted to make sure it was known that that was not the argument used when the trails were limited at Gov Dick.

mtbr member
    So is 15 closed to riding as of now? I was planning to head up tonight but completely pointless if I can't ride 15 & 13...