Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea! Ride or Ski da mOOn 2012/2013 Saturday & Wednesday Nights

So we haven't seen this in quite a while, a few years to be exact...
    ..."SNOW" that we can XC ski.

I'll be hosting a Ski da mOOn day...
    ...this Saturday 12/29/12, Meet at da Main Gate, nOOn(12PM)

We will ski a mix of the wider trails, and only venture out in the fields & roads if the wind is light. Ski will be between 1.5 and 2 hours, with social breaks and doggies are always welcome! Skiing will not include anything too awful hard since those muscles haven't been used in a few years.

Just a few tips:
    Newbees, XC ski packages are not that expensive like DH skiing stuff, and it will last for years, and this is about having a lot of fun!

Country Ski & Sport or Top of the Slope are a few local ski shops with knowledgeable staff.

Dress in layers as this sport will have you sweating up a storm. You use lots of muscles including upper body. This is a great workout very similar to cycling as it requires cardio and balance. Bring hydration & energy snacks.

Of course we will play it by ear as far as what the next snow storm does Saturday, I'll keep ya posted, and if snow continues and lasts we can get a few more of these "skis" in, including a "Night Ski"

So from now until snow degrades or lessens, the Wednesday night rides will be optional Ski or Bike, your choice as always.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride or Ski da mOOn 2012/2013 Saturday & Wednesday Nights-copy-all-1-18-08-002.jpg  

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    They have downgraded the storm for Saturday to 1 to 2 inches, which makes for good driving.

The ski is still on...
    ...see ya there!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

You know its gonna be a good one...
    ...when the only vehicles on the roads are plow trucks!

The comment from Jackson Township plow guy was the best "It's a blizzard up here don't you know enough to go home?" Many thanks to them for plowing some parking spots.

The infamous Moon always attracts others to it's fun side, and sking today was no exception a others were out on the newly falling snow!

Lots of great skiing and 4 to 6 inches of snow now. Hit the trails & fields up to the NC then a mix of glen sking and fields on the way back down, powdery snow with a good base under meant no rocks showing, and my wax was just right, Swixx Red in case anyone is interested. Only saw skiers in the park today!

Thanks to JetSkiGurl for the ski and hot chocolate!

Skied da mOOn

mtbr member
    Thought we could drive into the park and ski-bike some of the steeper hills, but the gates were closed. Good thing we also brought the cross-country skis!

mtbr member
    Some more....

mtbr member

Great day to be out....

.....skiing, biking, ski biking..... We got out with a small group ......one of our skiers ripped the bottom of his boot off in a fall....unusual.....one of the crew had a camera...hopefully they will post a few shots from today....thanks for stoking the ski passion with the thread and the pictures.....Glide On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Jeff, that's hardcore ripping boots apart! "Ski Stoke"

Mike, what I do when I sled and ski bike, I park on Pavlick Rd by the upper campground gate. There is one spot to park and they never ever use that gate even so you can park off to the side just in case. Then go across the campground. From there you can ride the ski bikes down the paved road from the campground, Pappys,(the death downhill) Skinnys, Go'in UP, ET or The Big Stinky downhill/uphill too, just watch the log at the bottom...LOL

Oh ya, you'll prolly have to get there from White Oak cause with the amount of snow we had to day on the paved roads Pavlick will be impossible to get up. So from the main gate, go down Atherton towards Hartman, make the tight left turn up White Oak, straight at the intersection of Mizdal where White Oak turns into Pavlick. At the top of the hill, Moon Lake campground gate on the left.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! I didn't even think of going in through a spot closer to the campground. We'll definitely do that next time.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Great News Years Day to out on da mOOn trails!

Good to see friends out also, the B team was cruising for snacks!...LOL

Snow is settling and softening and wax choice is more critical, actually went for spray wax today, halfway through the ski. The rest was much faster!

Started out on the paved road down to the swimming pool for a bit of downhilling then great views along the lake and back up by the old barn. Lots of birds looking for food, my hat must look like food has a few pecking my hat! Good Stuff...

Surprising no mt bike tracks in the park!

Buddy 123,

Before the Wednesday night ski I can wax your skiis a bit, so they glide better.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

1/2/13

This Wednesday night we ski da mOOn

Meet at da Main Gate, 6PM on trail by 6:15PM

Bring your mt bike helmets with lights attached, and batteries charged!

Ski da mOOn...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride or Ski da mOOn 2012/2013 Saturday & Wednesday Nights-mlp-xc-ski-1-21-12-006_900x900.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 01-01-2013 at 01:06 PM.

wounded knee
    There might also be a night cross country snowshoe going on if anyone is interested, on Wednesday night.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6 View Post
    There might also be a night cross country snowshoe going on if anyone is interested, on Wednesday night.
    If "Shoe" snowshoes does that mean he will be Snowy?

Gotta check with Buddy and Barney on this one...
    ...oh ya, bring snacks!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6 View Post
    I'll almost certainly be up for snowshoeing (which I'm just going to call "stomping" from now on, b/c "snowshoeing" is an atrocity of a word). We don't have to do that major loop I mentioned.

Best,
    Mark

Did you ever have ham?

Tracks in da snow!!!

I am hoping that the snow is melted pretty good for this weekend, I am going nuts...I WANNA RIDE!!! I was looking at snow shoes on-line and they seem to be weight rated...is that true? If so, I would be better off strapping a Yugo to each foot!!! LOL!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

It's gonna be a great night again...
    ...should be a "Cool" one too...

Ski da mOOn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Did the double at da mOOn tonight...
    ...started off on the Singlespeed.

With terrific red skies over the horizon most of the trails I rode were sans of any tracks. Powdery snow with certain places containing drifts made for fun playing around. Rounded out about 5 miles then hit the dirt road,(Atherton Rd) along side the park down and back for a bit of a climb. That's one thing you can count on at da mOOn the Atherton Rd is always plowed and makes a good workout with a quarter mile climb... Great stuff!

Buddy123 and the B team showed up and we hit the XC skis, down to the lake, back up to the field, around the RC Flyers, and back down to the lake one more time making for great climbing, and descending on a super night of skiing. Never noticed it was well into the single digits!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

1/5/13 Saturday:

Lots happening:

Parked at the Marina for a few reasons, by the way the road into the park is open and plowed and will be open still on weekends only!

I will find out more on this, but from what I know now the lake is scheduled to receive it's yearly stocking of trout in early February. With that happening the park is supposed to be open to fish seven days a week according to the PA Fish & Boat Commission.

OK the skiing, a warm up loop by the lake then up the field along Dual trail to the pave and along the RC Flyers field and their road was being plowed.

On a note, please respect their field as they lease that land and skiing or biking across their fields is not only not allowed for safety reasons, but it disturbs the snow that allows them to land their planes on...Thanks on that one!

Back to skiing, continued to the main gate then down the inner field to the lake and along the lake back to the marina. A good ski, snow is still cold and fast!

The ice report is 4 inches on the outer and 5 inches in the inner lake waters. A few folks were out ice fishing and plans for a big day on Sunday were discuss with my friends.

Ski da mOOn

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Is the Moon bike rideable, or would it be more trouble than it's worth.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Rideable?

I have been riding it all along, so I guess that's pretty hard for me to answer. You might find it different. I guess it depends on how much effort you wanna put out. Meaning it isn't like riding dirt. Expect to slide and have your wheels displaced where you will have to do a lot of correcting. Frozen areas are better.

The main road is plowed, so is Atherton Rd, so riding can be broken up into using these areas to connect to single track sections too.

Today did the triple play...
    ...began on skis from the Marina and traveled up past the picnic table on Deacon onto NW1, all the way to the Main Gate and then along the paved rd. to Dual, ended up back at the Marina just in time for...

...ice fishing. Great time out on the ice most of the day with friends. Thanks Phil for the great deer jerky...

...mt. biking was next, using the Marina rd. to Deacon then SR2 to the campground came down Skinnys back to the Marina. Short tough workout on the SingleSpeed!

Almost had time to slip on the hockey skates for a spin around the ice, but ran out of time!

Ski da mOOn
    Ride da mOOn
    Skate da mOOn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glahnb View Post
    Is the Moon bike rideable, or would it be more trouble than it's worth.
    Depends on your tolerance. Definetly more work than normal.

Lee ,,,did you get my PM?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Bill,

Yes, I did and i sent you an email to that address. Thanks for your offer that will help a lot on my trip.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

1/9/13 Wednesday

Skiing da mOOn, meet at da Main Gate 6 PM, on snow by 6:15PM.

Snow will be a mix from slow to frozen depending on location, I'm going with cold wax, prolly a Swixx Blue.

Ski will be fields, & roads with a trail or two thrown in for a good mix!

Might be the last week of "good" skiing...
    ...unless more "magic white" falls.

Ski da mOOn

wounded knee
    Anyone riding Wednesday night?
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    I decided to go even though noone replied, hopefully someone will be there, if not I'll have a nice night ride in the snow first one of the season
    Please note if you reply after I post this I will not be able to answer back (blocked at work) I WILL BE GOING
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Might hit mt biking...
    ...or a few laps around the lake with the hockey skates pre/post XC ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast