Thread: Ride Nutrition

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Ride Nutrition

So I went on a big ride today at Blue Marsh from lake rd to the State Hill rd boat launch and back, about 23 miles with some exploration, and totally bonked the last 5 miles. I started to feel nauseous, light headed blurred vision, and I lost all my endurance. I was sweating profusely as well, but it was 90 degrees also. I guess it could've been heat exhaustion too. I had 4 liters of water for the day and drank most of it. I was out for about 5 hours as well. I was originally going to just test a new set of tires (WTB Exiwolf 2.1s loved them) but ended up going for a lot longer.

All I had were 2 power bars and 4 liters of water. Obviously not enough fuel. So what works for you guys? What do you guys do to prevent cramps? Does pickle juice really work?

I ran low of electrolytes I got that part. Guys I'm a total newbie with XC mtn biking (3rd ride at BM) so things that seem obvious to you are not to me. I realize now how stupid a 23 mile ride is without proper nutrition so...

Any good guides? I thought about using some electrolyte supplements in my camelback but never went with any. Thoughts? What do you guys reccommend and what should I avoid? I felt afterwards that had I had enough fuel I could've done it just fine.

Sorry about all the noob questions, but thanks for the answers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Cytomax and Gu get me through long rides on hot days. Try PBJ and flat soda for a cheaper alternative. I always stash a PBJ in my bag for emergency situations.

Pre-ride nutrition is just as important. Don't ride big if you didn't eat big the night before, and drink plenty of water before you hit the trails.

mtbr member
    eating a lot the day before a big ride is crucial. load up on carbs like rice and pasta. avoid greasy/fatty foods. fruits are good, eat lots of em.

i usually pack a few clif bars and gels (GU, Accel Gel, Carb-Boom) with me on longer rides, i try to eat a gel of clif bar about every hour or so to keep my energy level up. on hot days you have to drink more water, eat more, and take more breaks to keep from running out of gas.

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    i try to eat a gel of clif bar about every hour or so to keep my energy level up.
    plus 1 to that. topping off the g-stores every hour is a good nugget.

if its a recreational ride, i'd stay away from the gels etc...and focus on real food. the simple sugars in the gels will likely produce a sugar crash leaving you feel worse then you did before the meal. especially if you don't plan on sticking with the 1 hour re-load. you might want to consider complex carbs instead (brown rice, bagels, etc...) pb and j was a good one.

however, if you do plan on "carb loading" and hydrating for an intense ride, you should plan on starting 3 days prior. particularly with the liquids.

its worth mentioning, i'm have no degree in nutrition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Obviously every individual is different, but all of the above advice is pretty good. The night
    before I hit Blue Marsh I usually have pasta or anything loaded with carbs followed by a couple of waffles for breakfast. During the ride it's plenty of water(100 oz.) and a 20 oz.
    water bottle with Power Bar's endurance sports drink. I usually have a Power Bar Harvest
    Bar and couple of gels if needed. Like I said, everybody's different, so you need to find
    what works best for you.

mtbr member
    All very good advice!

The best thing is making sure you are eating high quality carbs a few days ahead of the ride. Get up early enough in the morning of the ride to eat high quality cereals or oatmeal (I mix in some bulgar wheat or buckwheat that soaked overnight) drink high electrolyte juices and some milk too (calcium is needed for muscle contraction). With plenty of time before the ride you could eat a double serving of cereal and digest some of it. Make sure you have time to take a dump to get rid of that extra pound & a half! Then eat and drink just before you hit the trail.

As said before, eat quality foods on the trail at least hourly. Avoid the fats before and during the ride, but get high quality carbs and maybe a little protein. Too much protein during the ride may hold you back. Take in the protein after the ride for muscle recovery. This is where I messed up my first time at Blue Marsh; and I hit on some serious fatigue! Do not ration your energy consumption or water consumption. Plan ahead and eat/drink consistently! Keep the length of your breaks to a minimum because it is tough to get back into the swing after a long rest (this kills me in particular)!

Other than that.... train for strength & endurance to do Blue Marsh or any other endurance ride. You will benefit.

Some of us are planning a Blue Marsh Enduro again sometime in October. Keep an eye out!

Love Blue Marsh!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the advice! I can see now for sure where I screwed up. I did eat some pasta the night before, but I skipped breakfast and didn't take any extra stuff with me for energy. I think I did ok in the water department.

I just need to get serious about it and get used to eating a good breakfast especially now that I am getting into a sport like this one. Is there a good sports nutritional book that any of you would recommend? I do best with learning things like this by reading and applying what I've read. That's how I built my Cannondale I'll see if I can survive until October and ride with you guys if you don't mind a n00b tagging along.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Noobs are awesome.Keep progressing.P.A. Represent !!! I really should get off line,I've had to many.

mtbr member

Blue Marsh

I have a book titled: High-Performance Cycling by Asker Jeukendrup. It is focused on road racing but it has some excellent science in it that certainly applies to MT biking. Packed with good stuff including nutrition. Check it out.

When we go to Blue Marsh in October, many riders are relatively new but we all have a great time. Keep training for strength & endurance and keep a good diet-- you will be ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Energetik
    Thanks for the advice! I can see now for sure where I screwed up. I did eat some pasta the night before, but I skipped breakfast and didn't take any extra stuff with me for energy. I think I did ok in the water department.

I just need to get serious about it and get used to eating a good breakfast especially now that I am getting into a sport like this one. Is there a good sports nutritional book that any of you would recommend? I do best with learning things like this by reading and applying what I've read. That's how I built my Cannondale I'll see if I can survive until October and ride with you guys if you don't mind a n00b tagging along.

mtbr member
    One thing that not many folks think about is PRE-hydrating.
    Drink all the way out to the ride.
    Starting with a full tank helps.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. - HST