Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ride da Moon

57K views 481 replies 47 participants last post by  NEPMTBA 
#1 ·
Fun will continue this Wednesday night 5/30/12 at da mOOn

Meet at da Main Gate, 6 PM

Welcome newest member "Barney" Buddy's little brother!

He prolly won't be in attendance for awhile as he has been sent out for suspension modifications and power upgrades, but soon enough he will be ripping right along and getting lots of snacks!

Attachments

See less See more
#282 · (Edited)
Rode da mOOn 2/24/13... ...Great day to hit the biways, paved, dual, and singletrack all in a mix of fun that gets better as time goes on. Always good to start at the Marina on a cold day. It provides a quick hill to climb to get the inner heater going strong! Followed by fun on the hard water, friends, fish, and freezing temps! The ice was thick and fish were biting! Rode da mOOn pics are up, vids coming Enjoy:cool:

Attachments

#283 ·

Attachments

#287 · (Edited)
In 2013 we celebrate the longest running continuous running ride series in our area, our 7th year of the never ending Ride da mOOn. I can tell you we have been through battles before, but we have always come out on top and... ...recently with the forming of a Luzerne county administrative recreational board we have a voice. Everyone I saw and spoke with at the meeting was positive and upbeat about Moon lake Park. They are working to improve as much as they can with what they have to work with, so our future looks very bright! Tonight's ride, Slippy, Sqishy, Sloopy Muddy, Icy, Snowy... ...all the above plus 2 wheel drifting made for a great night under the lights of fun! You could feel the wind just can't maintain the icy cold anymore. The ride started at Thorny, Big Blue, 5 Tree, Nitemare, Grass trails, Twister, Buddys, Watkins Go'in up, Ol' Yeller, T-Rex2 up, T-Rex1, 8, Natrure's Way Ride da mOOn was a blast once again.

Attachments

#288 · (Edited)
Great ride at mOOn today with friends...

... started off on Big Blue, 5 Tree, Nitemare, Twister, Buddys, Watkins, Skinnys, Edge, T-Rex1, 8, NW1. Riding today in the 50s quickly had us shedding jackets fast! Dozer enjoyed the little ice that is left to rehydrate himself. Matt had the 4.8s on his Fat Bike and I gotta say they get "TRACTION" Amazing how the bike would climb anything, of course Matt has the riding and power to do the impossible.

All in all the trails have dried a lot more since the previous Wednesday nights ride! Great to be out and looking forward to a super 2013

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

#290 · (Edited)
My journey started out driving to da mOOn it snowed like a mini blizzard...
...at da mOOn sun was shining and I knew it was the start of something special, just had that kind of feeling!

Staying on higher/drier/rockier trails, and with 7 years experience at da moOn knowing the steady wind has most of the trails dry by now. I decided to ride stuff that I never ride, kinda a rights of spring in the discovering the new. Wanted a totally different route tonight, so I set my mind CNC mode!

It just kept getting better and better, the sun and blue sky followed me everywhere, Spent some time on Big Stick, and Dr Feelgood then hooked it over to one of my fav trail linked sections is Buddys to Twister to Slide, an amazing link up of really cool stuff.

Up to the Trials Area to play on top for a while, then linking another fav linked section, T-Rex2, T-Rex1, Edge, Skinnys, Watkins!

Riding all winter on the SSer has me in tune for what was one of the best early season rides ever, pushing snow and ice is difficult to say the least, once it goes away pushing mud is a breeze, and there was very little of that, more like soft putty.

Early season thaw is a normal thing and you have to know enough to let the ground thaw and the laying water will percolate through, da mOOn never lets me down, build trails right and they reward everyone who rides them.

With what I felt as unlimited strength, I spent 2 hours, all the time thinking of new stuff to hop on, made for a fantastic night, geese are back, ice is off, could not get enough! Bring on spring!
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Forest Bicycle

Peek-A-Boo
Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Mountain bike Mountain biking

Big Stick
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Wheel

Rest'in Redline!
Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Mountain bike

Big Stick Line 2
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle fork

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel

Dr Feelgood...
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Mountain bike Mountain biking Bicycle frame

Dr Feelgood...
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Mountain bike Bicycle fork

Dr Feelgood...
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Mountain bike Mountain biking Bicycle

#293 ·
3/20/13

So early this morning spring flew in...
...ya right, but the steady wind will work to the trails advantage drying the wet spots! Other usual spots will still be frozen.

Ride da mOOn
I'll be there early enjoying my ride!:cool:

Pics will follow:thumbsup:

#294 · (Edited)
Bright sun, and lots of fun!

I had a grand old time hopping around the trails, and random rocks and logs that I just got mesmerized by all the really cool stuff there is to play on.

Last week I did a similar ride, just roaming. This week was the same goal. No plan, as soon as I lifted my head up from one object I spotted the next one! Just point me the direction of the next thing I see in my sights and ride it.

That's the cool thing about da mOOn there is something around every corner!

Rode da mOOn...
...I am truly the lunar rover...LOL

Attachments

#295 ·
Lunar Rover

Bright sun, and lots of fun! I had a grand old time hopping around the trails, and random rocks and logs that I just got mesmerized by all the really cool stuff there is to play on. Last week I did a similar ride, just roaming. This week was the same goal. No plan, as soon as I lifted my head up from one object I spotted the next one! Just point me the direction of the next thing I see in my sights and ride it. That's the cool thing about da mOOn there is something around every corner!Rode da mOOn.....I am truly the lunar rover...LOL
I thought Buddy was the original Lunar Rover!!!:arf:

#297 ·
I haven't seen the regulars... ...on a Wednesday night in months including Buddy. I have the park all to myself. I don't think it was that cold of a winter even XC Ski camped a few times, not at mOOn of course. It is amazing how quiet it can be, but one thing that is a standard is the train running along the Suskie. That can be heard everywhere in the mountains.

#298 ·
a few more from another fun ride...

Attachments

#299 ·
Nice to be back in the saddle again.

Some observations:
100+ miles of hiking in the Colorado Rockies did not translate to better bike legs.

First time running tubeless. Had some initial issues holding air, but was fine on the ride. Ran front and rear at about 25 psi. Also lowered my fork pressure a little. I really liked the traction and overall ability to roll over roots, trees and rocks. Whats the lowest anyone runs tubeless?

Now the ride: 6 miles; thorny, 5 tree, nightmare, berts, moto, back to 5 tree, twister, slide, skinny, 8, NW1. Very nice day.

#300 ·
bilbo: my general guidance is to run tubeless NOT MUCH different than you run tubed, the tire still flexes more because of the loss of internal structure. Just because you're tubeless with goop doesn't guarantee you can't puncture or flat. Just my 2c. That said, with XC tires, I've run as low as 18 psi (unintentionally) but that leads to a lot of "rim strikes" - which is bad IMO. I tend to run 25+ on my 29ers and 30+ on 26er with XC tires. On my 5" FS 29er I run 35 rear 30 front, ish. Still playing around as the tires are new. The reason I run higher pressure is I'm moving faster and hitting rocks harder so need to guard the rims more. On my DH bike when tubeless with DH tires I never use less than 35 psi, often more.

#302 ·
...just enough air to stop them from rolling off the rims, tubes, no tubes, don't care what color the tires are either! They hold air and roll my a88 over stuff!

It's dirt and rocks. "UN-WEIGHT" over the bad stuff!
LMAO

Every time I see a Duck I think "Quack"

#305 ·
3/27/13 Wednesday

Spring has sprung! Another great day to ride, trails are in pretty good shape, I hit a few on Sunday with a walk through to flick and pick sticks. I will be on some of my favorite trails tonight...

...but then again they are "all" my favs, Hum? Now that would a "Super Ride"

Ride da mOOn :cool:

Attachments

#306 · (Edited)
3/27/13 Wednesday

Spring has sprung! Another great day to ride, trails are in pretty good shape, I hit a few on Sunday with a walk through to flick and pick sticks. I will be on some of my favorite trails tonight...

...but then again they are "all" my favs, Hum? Now that would a "Super Ride"

Ride da mOOn :cool:
It certainly was a great day to be riding da Moon!!! Didn't get as much riding in as I wanted to, but I am just happy that I was up there and riding!!!

Attachments

#307 · (Edited)
It's a super good feeling tooling around the trails...

...sun was shining, trails are in great shape. Peaceful with only the sound of the geese. I made my way on my favs. Started out with Rock-It, why not I like the toughest first then everything else is easy...LOL

Up to Buddy's, Twister, Slide, Mo-Zee, Watkins, Skinnys, Trials Area for a bit of hopping around, Edge, the old log road, Marina, NW1 and out. Once again there is so much fun stuff to play on it just amazes me. I keep finding new stuff even after 7 years of Ride da mOOn, and only one other rider in the park tonight! It's been a super winter riding season. I really don't want to see it end.

Rode da mOOn...
...might have to do it again tomorrow!

Attachments

#308 · (Edited)
A few more from Wednesday night at da mOOn

Attachments

#309 · (Edited)
3/31/13 Sunday

Rode da mOOn, and checked out the old trout fish'in holes! Very interesting stuff from a long gone era...

...trout season is coming, Moon Lake will be stocked and ready!

Rode da mOOn...
...here fishy, fishy
Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Wood

Plant Wood Natural environment Branch Natural landscape

Water Plant Plant community Leaf Fluvial landforms of streams

Water Plant Water resources Ecoregion Natural landscape

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.