mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Restriction proposal on State Game Lands

ACCESS ALERT (please share) - New Restrictions & Permit Proposed for Hiking/Climbing/biking/riding on PA Game Commission Lands - On January 27th, 2015 the Pennsylvania Game Commission will vote on draft regulations to require registration through a free permit for all activities on PA Gamelands (excluding the AT and a few other trails). The regulations will also PROHIBIT these activities during hunting seasons in the Fall and Spring, excluding Sundays. I encourage you to read the proposal in the January Agenda here and send your comments to pgccomments@pa.gov.

We are working with the Access Fund and I am aware of several hiking clubs that are rallying for opposition. Not sure how much this impacts biking state wide but figured I would give you a heads up. Please pass along to anyone you wish, especially if there is a nation wide advocacy group. (I don't have many mountain bike contacts.)

Looking at this version of the legislation versus the version that was tabled in September, looks like the primary differences are:

-They've added an exemption for the AT and rail trails.
    -They've eliminated the exemption for hikers and birdwatchers

The only SGL trails that I know of that are worth riding are not classified as "Designated Trails" (ie, fire roads) by the PAGC, so IMHO this legislation is moot from a mt biking perspective.

EDIT: Wow, I completely overlooked the biggest change in this new version. It's gone from a $30 non-hunter user fee to a FREE trail permit (to ride fire roads.)
    Last edited by jonz; 1 Week Ago at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the response! As I said, I don't have much mtb knowledge or know the degree to which it uses SGL.