sambabiker.com

Upset Removal of rocks from new trail #15 at Governor Dick

Posted by my wife on SAMBA yahoo group. Just thought I would pass it on.
    Matt

To whom this may concern,

Most likely this email is not directed to any one person on my email lists, so....do not take offense. Simply, if you encounter this person or person's please feel free to educate them as to why they should not remove rocks off the trail tread. We all know that performing such a senseless act leaves large holes which is trail destruction not trail maintenance. Its bad enough to have to deal with the destruction caused by horses hooves of which there have been several such occurances on the new trail at Governor Dick. My advice is plain and simple.....if you don't like rocks on the trail while mountain biking or hiking, go find a nice flat rail trail with little tiny pebbles on it.

The Duchess

Desiree J. Oliveri-McElheny
    AKA. 'Mountain Biking Duchess of Ellsworth'

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Yeah!!!

Rat Fink
    Don't see too many Ellsworths in this neck of the woods but I saw one on top a care in Mt. Joy Sunday heading more or less in the direction of Gov. Dick. You by any chance?
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

mtbr member
    Lets not judge. Maybe the guy had to re-due his patio and needed those rocks. Its alot cheaper than home depot. Just kidding...stop messin up the trails you knukle heads....

sambabiker.com
    mbmojo:
    Both my wife and I ride Ellsworth Epiphanys. Great bikes. Got them after a trip with Escape Adventures in Utah a few years ago.

They bike on he car in Mt Joy was not us.... we can ride to Gv Dick from our house. Aint we the lucky ones !!!!

Oh yeah .... my wife lives up to her signature and can ride that thang
    Maybe we will see you on the trails sometime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    OK, I confess, it was me. I moved the one that is about as big as a small car a 1/4" to the left. Damn, I didn't think anyone would notice.

I feel for you guys, last year we had lots of problems with people sanitizing the trails at Swatara by removing logs. (Swatara has no rocks so we NEED our logs)

Thanks, but no thanks. We like our logs and rocks, please leave them be!
    Mike

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

We will rent ya few ROCKS if ya need um! Let me check stock and sizes for ya!

Rat Fink
    Quote Originally Posted by macbro24
    mbmojo:
    Both my wife and I ride Ellsworth Epiphanys. Great bikes. Got them after a trip with Escape Adventures in Utah a few years ago.

They bike on he car in Mt Joy was not us.... we can ride to Gv Dick from our house. Aint we the lucky ones !!!!

Oh yeah .... my wife lives up to her signature and can ride that thang
    Maybe we will see you on the trails sometime.
    macbro24,

Does your wife have a pink Epiphany? Do you guys ride Rocky Ridge at all? I saw a couple there last year, both on Ellsworths. They're so rare around here they stand out.

I have a hard time getting my wife to ride anything but the rail trails. Sunday we were passing through Mt. Joy on our way to ride the E-Town rail trail to Mt. Gretna and back. I noticed the Ellsworth on top a car and figured he was going to Gov. Dick. (and I wasn't....)

I live in York and ride Rocky Ridge and Wm. Kain regularly. I've been go Gov. Dick only once but I enjoyed it.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

sambabiker.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmojo
    macbro24,

Does your wife have a pink Epiphany? Do you guys ride Rocky Ridge at all? I saw a couple there last year, both on Ellsworths. They're so rare around here they stand out.

I have a hard time getting my wife to ride anything but the rail trails. Sunday we were passing through Mt. Joy on our way to ride the E-Town rail trail to Mt. Gretna and back. I noticed the Ellsworth on top a car and figured he was going to Gov. Dick. (and I wasn't....)

I live in York and ride Rocky Ridge and Wm. Kain regularly. I've been go Gov. Dick only once but I enjoyed it.
    My wife has a smoke anodized Epiphany. We have ridden Rocky Ridge but not for a few years. My wife and I have a hard time riding rail trails If you live in York ... are you a member of YAMBA? They have a big presence there and maintain the trails. Skip and Pete Wallace helped us out this spring on our new trail at Gv Dick.

Rat Fink
    Quote Originally Posted by macbro24
    My wife has a smoke anodized Epiphany. We have ridden Rocky Ridge but not for a few years. My wife and I have a hard time riding rail trails If you live in York ... are you a member of YAMBA? They have a big presence there and maintain the trails. Skip and Pete Wallace helped us out this spring on our new trail at Gv Dick.
    I have a hard time riding rail trails too! I do belong to YAMBA and unfortunately missed the night ride at Wm. Kain park last night because I had my Yeti apart for maintenance.

I only rode Gov. Dick once. I ride with my brother in law and newphew a lot. Newphew lives in Allentown so we frequently meet him ~1/2 which is Blue Marsh or French Creek.

There is another couple in the area with his & her Epiphanys. The woman has a pink one. (didn't pay any attention to the guy of course)

Nervous Descender
    I hope they leave some rocks on that trail for when I arrive this weekend. Last time I rode that trail I broke my Redline MC Flight!

Beware the Jabberwocky trail 15!
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am struggling with this issue as well. Blue Marsh and French Creek have become increasingly sanitized over the many years I've ridden there. Rider speeds increase, leading to more user conflicts and trail closings. LEAVE THE SPEED BUMPS IN PLACE!

I've met some good folks, into volunteerism and trail maintenance, and they honestly think they're doing a good thing. I seem to be the lone voice promoting more natural trails. How can we best spread the word?

HopHeads, Unite!
    Happens all over the place, even Michaux.

If you can't ride the existing line of a found trail you did not help to build, you have no right to modify it to suit your pansy-assed riding technique. Ride more better or get the hell off the bike and walk the obstacle.

I HATE gratuitous log sawing and cheater lines. Learn how to pull up your front wheel and steer.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugboot
    If you can't ride the existing line of a found trail you did not help to build, you have no right to modify it to suit your pansy-assed riding technique. Ride more better or get the hell off the bike and walk the obstacle.

I HATE gratuitous log sawing and cheater lines. Learn how to pull up your front wheel and steer.
    Amen, brother!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I Know I've met the dutchess before on the trail, and I love that trail. I generally ride it 2 to 3 times a week. I drive through Mount Joy all the time with my bike on the roof, but its not an ellsworth. I have an On One and a Jamis Komodo, both bright red.... But anyway I wanna know who cut that big log out in the middle of the trail and then who put it back. I could deal with it before it got cut, then was cool with it cut but now that its rolled back it moves around now and makes it tough especially when its wet.

I love all the rock stacking going on in some of the more difficult sections I can now almost get through the entire thing without getting off my bike

If anybody sees me riding there feel free to say hi. I'm the guy on the red hardtails.
    I Ride Bikes.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Groffball
    I Know I've met the dutchess before on the trail, and I love that trail. I generally ride it 2 to 3 times a week. I drive through Mount Joy all the time with my bike on the roof, but its not an ellsworth. I have an On One and a Jamis Komodo, both bright red.... But anyway I wanna know who cut that big log out in the middle of the trail and then who put it back. I could deal with it before it got cut, then was cool with it cut but now that its rolled back it moves around now and makes it tough especially when its wet.

I love all the rock stacking going on in some of the more difficult sections I can now almost get through the entire thing without getting off my bike

If anybody sees me riding there feel free to say hi. I'm the guy on the red hardtails.
    I agree with you! If you're going to put something back, do it right!

And why can't there be berms in the corners!? Hell I'll build them all if no one takes them out after the hard work...

I'm the guy on the Super Natural BC Green Knolly, if you wanna say hi...

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    I agree with you! If you're going to put something back, do it right!

And why can't there be berms in the corners!? Hell I'll build them all if no one takes them out after the hard work...

I'm the guy on the Super Natural BC Green Knolly, if you wanna say hi...

Todd - and anyone else who may be concerned: I wholeheartedly invite you to come out to the SAMBA trail work days and help create and maintain the trails. The days of rogue trailbuilding are over, and we see now that all that effort Jud and others put into making renegade trails have been forgotten and overgrown. SAMBA is grassroots, it's local riders, it's people in this for the long run that want to see the work we do legitimized and sustainable. If you want berms, whoops, more freeride oriented trails...I encourage you to get involved and help shape the trails in that direction. The approval and planning is a long and time consuming process, but the more people involved, the more the load can be spread out. The actual trail days are fun and even more rewarding when your rippin down something you helped build!
    I personally would like to see more people joining and expressing their interest in getting approval from the Gov. Dick board for a freeride stunt trail (that!), but I'm only one voice in the wilderness...I also think we should drop about 15 miles of trail in that place

Look for some Camp Mack workdays coming later this fall.
    Attend the monthly Gov. Dick board meetings and form some relationships
    Come out to the Swatara SP work days, there's one this Sunday 10/5/08
    Things are going great, but they are going to bet better

riding this weekend?

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    Todd - and anyone else who may be concerned: I wholeheartedly invite you to come out to the SAMBA trail work days and help create and maintain the trails. The days of rogue trailbuilding are over, and we see now that all that effort Jud and others put into making renegade trails have been forgotten and overgrown. SAMBA is grassroots, it's local riders, it's people in this for the long run that want to see the work we do legitimized and sustainable. If you want berms, whoops, more freeride oriented trails...I encourage you to get involved and help shape the trails in that direction. The approval and planning is a long and time consuming process, but the more people involved, the more the load can be spread out. The actual trail days are fun and even more rewarding when your rippin down something you helped build!
    I personally would like to see more people joining and expressing their interest in getting approval from the Gov. Dick board for a freeride stunt trail (that!), but I'm only one voice in the wilderness...I also think we should drop about 15 miles of trail in that place

Look for some Camp Mack workdays coming later this fall.
    Attend the monthly Gov. Dick board meetings and form some relationships
    Come out to the Swatara SP work days, there's one this Sunday 10/5/08
    Things are going great, but they are going to bet better

riding this weekend?
    Doc, not sure if I'll be able to make it out this sunday, but I'd def come out to the Camp Mack work days and the GD meetings. Let me know when that is happening.

And yes there is a lot of potential for "that" trail, if it were done legitimately.

Also were starting the wed nite rides from Bill's house 10-8... Prob around 6ish...