Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    long standing member

Reminder/Roll Call: 7 Springs free ride weekend on 7/12-13

It was posted in the 7 Springs thread, but it kinda got buried so I wanted to put it back out there. Free lift tickets, free test rides on demo bikes from Trek, Kona and Santa Cruz, and a fun mountain. The trails are accessible to riders who haven't done any downhilling before, so bring the family or a friend and introduce them to the sport More info here.

I'll be there on Sunday, who else is going?

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    I just got done packing the car, and now I am waiting for my wife to get home. We are leaving tonight, and are gonna spend the night in the hotel there. We will only be there for saturday though. I am pretty stoked that my wife is coming Hopefully I will be dillegent and get some pics. I am really looking forward to this getaway.

beautiful jackass
    I'll be coming up with two friends for the whole weekend but we'll have about six others joining us during the day Saturday. We're staying in the lodge. Just look for the drunk and loud foul mouthed squad and it'll be us

We're leaving from northern Virginia at 5 AM, putting us up there around 8:30 AM on Saturday. We plan to ride all day, drink all night, and complain about our headaches the next day when we ride again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ill be there
    brown enduro, superman shirt, same as last time

mtbr member
    May 2007
    be there on sunday. working tomorrow. just got the call from the shop that my wheels are all trued up. yay!
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm shooting for Sunday,if it doesn't get rained out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'll be there Sunday on a silver enduro. Hopefully.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    they've already got pictures up from today:

http://cu.7springs.com/pages/event_g....php?event=348

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino
    they've already got pictures up from today:
    Looks like Saturday was a success.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    it was awesome once again, other than the line, but oh well it was free

jralz, were you with bob?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionsf

how bad was the wait? did you have to wait long for each run?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i would say 15 mins or so, lots of people wtih xc ht's who eventually found out the hard way that they needed to stick to xc, one had to go out in an ambulance, in the morning it was empty and after like 4 everyone started to drink and the lines really shorted

new trails are a blast, super connector is my fave, pic of me on the big table at the beginning in my sig

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

No. I'll be there Sunday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It looked like a great day.Did anybody try out any bikes? I saw one pick of someone on the new Trek Session.Hopefully I can make it up there tomorrow,sometime.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    en route now!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    didn't take any pictures myself, but my buddy took a few. post them when i get them

http://www.jcaino.com/2008/07/seven-...wnhill-da.html

beautiful jackass
    We had a great time out there. On Saturday we got in at least ten runs and hit every trail. I took one run on Sunday but quit after that due to the rain. I heard they're working on getting six more trails completed on the other side of the mountain. They definitely need a little more variety out there. I got tired of hitting tabletops and there were only a couple small drops. It'd be nice to see some ladders and wall rides.

The staff was super friendly and welcoming. We talked about that frequently. Nobody was uptight and they added a lot to the whole experience.

The only thing we kept complaining about was that there were too many casual riders who didn't have any business being on those trails riding bikes not suited to the purpose. I saw people on old rigid hardtail cross-country bikes, hybrid bikes, and we even saw a guy with a kiddie seat on the back of his bike at the top of the slopes. These people create a high risk factor for themselves and all who encounter them on the trail. When you're ripping around a corner, the last thing you want to see is a woman on an entry level Giant beach cruiser sitting on her bike while she rolls over a tabletop. I'm sure everyone saw the older guy who got laid out on the tabletops who clearly got in over his head. He had to get hauled off in a stretcher and learned the hard way.

One of the problems was that all of the trails, from beginner to expert, all merge at the end and lead to the series of gigantic tabletops. There is a bailout line, but it wasn't easy to see. They need to create an entire line for casual riders and come up with a way to keep them out of the fast lane.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I agree with keeping the trail clear.
    My son and I rode Saturday and I almost hit a dog coming into the woods after the big burm section. Some lady had two dogs UNLEASHED out for a walk on the course !!! One went after my son and I went hard on the binders just missing it and a tree.....
    The other was some kids sitting on their bikes in the middle of the trail after a blind corner. My son went down hard, only time he went down, because of this.
    I asked them to move from the trail and got a "were riding here too" response. Had to hold the boy back coz he wanted payback for the 4" gash in his arm.
    Other than that I had a great time.
    I,ve rode Snow Shoe the past 10 yrs and their bike park the last five years.
    The only difference is 1. I did'nt get hurt at 7 Springs like I usually do at Snow Shoe. 2. I did'nt break any bike parts and have to travel 50 miles in either direction to find a replacement like you will have to do at Snow Shoe. 3. 7 Springs is young and will grow - Snow Shoe's stuff is worn out and have yet to replace broken boards or bad lines caused by erosion. But the major thing we all must look at is price.
    Last year I spent over $700. for a 4 day 5 night trip to Snow Shoe. Thats counting everything from food to repairs and gasoline for the 4n a half hour drive down.
    So we should all count are blessings having such a GOD sent blessing being placed here in our area. I was sooooo ready to sale the big hit bike and buy a 29r but now I plan to make 2 trips a week from Indiana PA up to the mountain. Anyone in the area want a ride let me know.

mtbr member
    Mcornell, I'd have to respectfully disagree with you on Snowshoe. Yes, it costs more to drive there, but there are more reasonable accomodations available than 7Springs for overnight stays. I'm not sure I see the "worn out" part either. I was just there over the weekend...in addition to great newer trails like Ninja Bob and Powerline, the park side (wood features, etc.) seemed to be in good shape. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that 7Springs is going full steam ahead with their trail efforts, but they are a long way off from competing w/ Snowshoe's offering.

mtbr member
    I couldn't make it out there this weekend so I went friday. it was my first DH experience. Simply amazing. I rented a Bullit from speedgoat with 661 pressure suit and FF helmet. Great price and the gear was in great shape. I got overconfident and crashed hard at the last table top. I go banged up and learned from experience that the resorts first aid staff is pretty cool. Fortunatly it was nothing that kept me from riding the rest of the day.

I'll agree that there may be some potential problems with people incorrectly riding the trails. I won't go and say that people on xc bikes can't be on there but I followed a guy with 2 unleashed dogs down 007. I was lucky that i saw him from teh beginning and was anticipating them. But if I wasn't that could have resulted in serious injuries to both me and those dogs. The resort needs to put a stop to this. They wouldn't allow dogs to run on the ski trails so it should be no different for this. overall i thought it was a great experience and will be back next weekend.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    pic of me on the big table at the beginning in my sig

long standing member
    My wife and I were up for half a day on Sunday and had a great time. My wife called it quits a little after the first rain squall, but she enjoyed it and said she will be back. I had a good time too, just wish the rain had held off completely. I heard the trails got tacky, though, that's good for those who stuck around.

I mostly agree with some the statements made above. And I'll say all this from the perspective being a DH novice myself and this past weekend being my wife's first time on DH trails. I was riding slower than usual (and I'm usually pretty slow, anyway) so she can keep up and sometimes we got passed, and sometimes we passed others. But if everyone follows the same "rules" it all works out fine.

Now for the rant, directed at all the people who probably do not read this forum :

• We didn't see any, but I've heard it from multiple people: the dogs gotta go. Unless you've got a trail dog that knows how to get out of the way of a biker going 25mph (and there aren't many that can) then you should leave the dogs at home, or keep them leashed and off the bike trails.
    • The newbs gotta use their brains a little -
      • Don't stop in the middle of the trail. This is common sense and is common trail etiquette everywhere, not just on this mountain. Move yourself and your bike off to the side a couple of feet and you can rest or chat with your buddies or regain your composure. The "we're riding here too" kids that mcornell mentioned need some education in this area, as I'm sure do many others. If 7 Springs wants to hire me, I'd be happy to be the educator.
      • There are exceptions for this rule, such as if you've crashed and you're hurt (I hope you're OK) or you simply get freaked out by a terrain feature and come to a halt. In which case you should immediately check your surroundings (like to see if anyone is coming screaming up behind you) and move over if you can.
      • Now I'm gonna play helmet and gear nazi here, I hope I don't offend anyone. I know that newbs are generally the people that don't have DH gear (FF helmet and armor) but they are the ones the may need it the most. A $10 helmet rental is worth it if you end up saving your teeth or avoid a concussion. If you like this type of riding then pick up a FF for future trips, several models can be found for $50 or $60. And I've found body armor to be invaluable, ending up with some bruises and minor scrapes and getting the wind knocked out of me instead of the potential gashes and broken bones that I would've suffered if I did not have the armor. Yes, even on the smooth, relatively rock-free terrain at 7 Springs the armor has come in handy. I know this is a personal choice issue, but most of you were good-looking folks, but probably wouldn't be with a dirty, busted-up face (of which we saw several).
    • An obvious, interesting alternate line should be created next to the row of tables before the lift (some berms and/or a smaller row of tables would be awesome). Alternatively, non-expert riders can learn to moderate their speed so they don't go ass over teakettle on the 25ft long jumps. I myself cannot clear all those tables, but I coast in, brake check if necessary, get my small amount air and land on the top (I'm working on not braking checking, though ). In all my runs on 007 (and on the Dominion jump line at Diablo) I've never had a faster rider breathing down my neck. If there are riders who are not even able to do what I've described, then they need to put away the ego and take the alternate line.

I say all this with the hope that out of the multitudes who turned out for the free weekend that many will come back, which will allow the resort to keep operating and expanding. Seven Springs has gotten a great start, and hopefully will expand their expert-level trail offerings to keep the die-hard downhillers interested. And hopefully the newbs will stay off them until they've gained the skills to ride them. We'll be back sometime soon, and probably will see some of you there.

mtbr member
    To expand on your above post, I have a question. I am a DH newb but I was getting some good speed and clearing most of the jumps. But on one particular run I realized I was being dangerously tailgated by another much faster rider. The only way I realized this is because his bike was so close I could actually hear it as I was flying down the trail. I became very nervous and wasn't sure what I could possibly do. He was so close that I was afraid if I slowed down he would hit me literally about 3 feet off my rear wheel. Ultimately I found a place that I could just shoot off the trail and stop safely. What is the proper behavior in these situations?

When i got behind someone slow I just hung back at a safe distance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I never got up there yet this season,but if I were approaching someone slower.I would holler out,"rider",just to let you know I was back there,and let you do your thing.I'd never silent bob behind another rider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    To expand on your above post, I have a question. I am a DH newb but I was getting some good speed and clearing most of the jumps. But on one particular run I realized I was being dangerously tailgated by another much faster rider. The only way I realized this is because his bike was so close I could actually hear it as I was flying down the trail. I became very nervous and wasn't sure what I could possibly do. He was so close that I was afraid if I slowed down he would hit me literally about 3 feet off my rear wheel. Ultimately I found a place that I could just shoot off the trail and stop safely. What is the proper behavior in these situations?

When i got behind someone slow I just hung back at a safe distance.
    what trail was this on?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast