wot no bike?

Red foxes in the Wissahickon

I've never seen a fox in the wissahickon before, until this morning during my pre-work ride. Anyone else?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yep seen a couple....

another neat thing to see is those big birds (herons?) flying all low along the creek. i saw one dart under a bridge once really cool.

i have also seen two of them bigger types of woodpeckers (you'll know your near one if you hear it). really freakin big and cool looking.

wot no bike?
    Yeah I haven't seen the woodpeckers but definitely hear them. I guess when you've got your eyes glued to the trail you miss a lot of what's going on around you.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Yeah, locally, the fox population seems to be on the rise. I see them everywhere, from the grounds outside @ work (Mercer County, NJ) to my backyard in montgomery county, Wissahickon, High Rocks, Blue Marsh. Kind of cool, 'cos I've lived in this area for most of my life and don't recall seeing nearly as many growing up as I have in the last two years or so.

Re: those woodpeckers - the big ones are called pileated woodpeckers, and I have noticed more of them lately, too.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    stick - i see you work in mercer county. i'm currently on a project in princeton and have been riding mercer 3 days a week so if you want to hook up some night shoot me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    .. it's interesting that fox populations are rising. Back in Dallas, Coyotes were on the rise. I lived in the same house for the first 18 years of my life and never saw a Coyote in Dallas until just a year ago when I saw about 8 in about 18 months. Including 1 in the backyard of the house I grew up with. I had never even heard of a Coyote in Dallas until recently.

Maybe it's development. I've always thought foxes and coyotes both to be pretty scared of people. Maybe they're getting used to people. Who knows.