mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Recommended Pittsburgh Destinations

Hey!

I'm trying to decide on a destination for a long weekend...

Any suggestions on a good destination in Pittsburgh region??... I'm looking for somewhere with enough interesting cross-country trails to warrant a three-day stay (not just a lot of "fire roads" please), maybe with camping or reasonably-priced lodging nearby (within riding distance?). Some good hiking trails would be a plus and if there's a shot at checking some of the brew pubs I've heard so much about -- who could argue??

Send me an email or reply here if you can help.

Thanks a lot!
    Doug

mtbr member
    Doug,
    It doesn't sound like you are from around here (Pittsburgh). Pretty cool that you are coming in and looking for a place to ride. I think that the locations here are overlooked by lots of people, but that there are a good number of different sites to check out. A couple recommendations for you, with the possible number of days to ride there:

1. Frick Park - 1 to 2 days, depending on how much you get to ride. A few miles from Downtown Pittsburgh, lots of restaraunts and pubs. Good mix of trails.

2. Hartwood Acres - 1 to 2 - Logs! Good work on these trails, lots of log crossings, pyramids, tight switchbacks, good singletrack. Not too far from Frick (10 miles?)

3. Laurel Mountain - 1 to 2 days easy! Lots of stuff to ride here. Good expert tracks with rocks, logs, some sick stuff! I haven't had a chance to explore it all myself, but great riding. Speedgoat is nearby, and they are pretty cool about helping with trail locations and such (not too many pubs that I know of out there, and about 1 hour past Pgh)

Seven Springs and Hidden Valley - both ski resorts that have a ton of stuff to ride. Miles and Miles of trails here, enough to get lost. Good for camping and stuff.

Hope this helps you out. Check out the trail reviews on this sight for a little more detail on some of these places. There is a ton more to ride out here in Pgh, and maybe someone else will jump in to help out or explain better, but I really enjoy the rolling terrain here (compared to the 2.5 hour climbs and 45 minute downhills in UT, at least that was my experience)

Ride Hard!

Aaron

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job! Thanks!

Aaron,

Thanks for your help.
    Some friends and I made it out to Laurel last year. We visited Speedgoat and rode some great trails (dont' ask -- I'm worse with trail names than people's names!). I wouldn't mind returning again soon, but was looking to check out someplace new that might also allow for a little night life after the rides. I'll check out your other suggestions.

The other possibility I'm considering is heading for upstate NY.

I'm from the Lehigh Valley area (Bethlehem, PA), if you've never ridden out this way and pass through some time, I'd be happy to show you some fun stuff.

Thanks again,
    Doug

mtbr member
    Doug
    Thanks for the invite. I will certainly consider that if I am in the Bethlehem area. If you wanted to have a good weekend with nightlife, I would consider riding both Hartwood and Frick. Try Frick one day, and Hartwood the next. Frick is next to Pittsburgh, so it could give you a number of options for nightlife (Southside, Strip District) without really going too far. The guys at Pittsburgh Pro are pretty cool about giving directions at Frick. Here is their website: http://www.pghprobikes.com/

Hartwood is near to Pittsburgh and about 20 minutes from Frick. The guys at Dirty Harry's can help there http://dirtyharrys.net/site/intro.cfm (Pgh Pro too).

If you are planning a trip in the spring/summer, toss me an e-mail. My friends and I are always looking for new people to ride.

aaronspang@hotmail.com

Good luck!

Aaron

Master of the Obvious

nice tips!

I might (strong possibility) be getting transferred to PGH in the next 24 months. I like to live near good riding, what are the neighborhoods near Frick or Hartwood?

mtbr member

Bavington

I didn't see it listed in the other posts, but Bavington State Gamelands(near Burgettstown) was one of my favorite places to ride in Pittsburgh. I now live in Southern California, and I heard there were some land use issues out there, but I think they were cleared up. If you take the time(and don't get lost easily) you can string together 30+ miles of classic eastern singletrack(tight, twists, roots). Also enjoyed riding at Boyce Park(near Monroeville). A little more populated, but still fun, and a couple of really scary drops.

mtbr member
    I have to agree about Bavington. I rode there about 2 weeks ago with a break in the PIttsburgh weather with 5 other guys. First time, and it is now one of my favorite places to ride! I don't think we stopped pedaling during our ride at all. It was still a little icy in places, and there were some trees down from the winter, but with a little trail maintenance and a good thaw, this place would be unbelievable. I am psyched to ride out there in the spring/summer. Boyce was also a place that I rode for the first time in the winter. Awesome ride in the 15 degree snowy weather. Bottom line, take your pick from places to ride in Pittsburgh, cause there are tons of awesome places.

EnduroGuy
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wademan
    Hey!

I'm trying to decide on a destination for a long weekend...

Any suggestions on a good destination in Pittsburgh region??... I'm looking for somewhere with enough interesting cross-country trails to warrant a three-day stay (not just a lot of "fire roads" please), maybe with camping or reasonably-priced lodging nearby (within riding distance?). Some good hiking trails would be a plus and if there's a shot at checking some of the brew pubs I've heard so much about -- who could argue??

Send me an email or reply here if you can help.

Thanks a lot!
    Doug

Hi Doug,
    You didn't say when you were looking to come to da 'burgh? If it is now (Mar) all of the Ski Resort areas (Seven Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel Mtn) will still be snowed in. If it is this summer then you have more options than can be described. Hook up with PORC (Pittsburgh Off Road Cyclists) 200 members strong and always a ride going on 7 days a week. We even do several different night rides. (I am an Ex PORC PRez) The website is: www.porcmtbclub.org and you can link to mountainbikepittsburgh.com for more info. We always welcome vivsitors and can show you to some great nightlife as well. Pittsburgh is a great riding destination except for the spring when everything is so damn muddy, BUT that means awesome Urban rides to downtown and the various campusues around Oakland!! Warning: PORC members are beer snobs and we realize that life is too short to suffer through bad beer!! Don

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bethlehem PA

Doug,
    I too live in Bethlehem and haven't had much of a chance to find stuff around here, although I think I know of most of it. I typically hit the canal towpath, Jacobsburg or Lehigh U (south mtn park). Anything else relatively close?
    Jizmo

Quote Originally Posted by wademan
    Aaron,

Thanks for your help.
    Some friends and I made it out to Laurel last year. We visited Speedgoat and rode some great trails (dont' ask -- I'm worse with trail names than people's names!). I wouldn't mind returning again soon, but was looking to check out someplace new that might also allow for a little night life after the rides. I'll check out your other suggestions.

The other possibility I'm considering is heading for upstate NY.

I'm from the Lehigh Valley area (Bethlehem, PA), if you've never ridden out this way and pass through some time, I'd be happy to show you some fun stuff.

Thanks again,
    Doug