mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Recommend Trails Near Tafton / Lake Wallenpaupack?

I'll be visiting family again at Lake Wallenpaupack near Tafton this weekend. Last year I rode Prompton and enjoyed it very much although the rocks were quite a challenge for me.

Would like to sample another nearby trail or two this year. I'm not at all familiar with what is worthwhile in the area. Could anyone lend some advice about what trails I should ride? Bonus points if you include links to maps.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Moosic Mountain and Merli-Sarnoski are the best other two closest options. Both have lots of rocks. There's also Lackawanna State Park. I've never been so can't really comment on the technical aspect. There may be other places East of the Paupack, but I stay in Carbondale when I go to NEPA and always hit Merli, Moosic or Prompton.

If you hit Moosic I can recommend the least technical route. You'll want a trail map to help navigate. Park at the lot off of 247. Ride past the gate and look for Blueberry trail on on your right. Climb Blueberry until you hit powerline/access road. Cross over to a trail call Bones (it's not on the map I have but is easy to find). Take bones til you come to a Y - go right at Y. This is Waterfall - take it until you come back out at the access road/power lines. Left on the access road. This is a bit of a challenge due to large, loose rocks. There may be some hike-a-bike but not for long. Look for Waterfall trailhead on your left (you have not ridden this section yet if you've followed my directions thus far). Ride til you come back to the Y from earlier. Go right and follow trail out, across road/power lines then back down Blueberry to parking lot. This will be somewhere between 6-7 miles. If you still have time/energy, look for Bruised Ego trail head on the opposite side of where Blueberry starts near the parking lot. Ride it as an out and back. that'll give you another 2-3 miles. If you still want to add miles, hit the other trails on the map but those are the most technical. Here's a link to the map I use:

Moosic mountain Trail review page

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Recommend Trails Near Tafton / Lake Wallenpaupack?

Thanks for the advice. Rode Moosic today. Some fun trails and some humbling sections where I walked more than I rode. Overall enjoyed it very much.

Prompton and Moosic are a seriously rocky 1-2 punch!

Thanks again!