my church is the woods

RCST Bash 07 Reviews

WOOHOOOO!

Abstract:
    3 days of excellent riding, 2 nights of great food and cold micro-brews with 150 friends.

Details:
    got up there friday about noon, as I get close to camp I pass John and Ron shuttling up for a ride. I follow, park, change, and start pedaling toward rocks ridge. rode Rocks Ridge both directions and then met up with the rest of the NJ/NH crew that climbed up from camp. From there it was Rattling creek, doc smith, hopback, up fawn kill, and then a drive back to set up camp.

After some brews, the chili cook off went down, followed by some fine bottle trading. Heading back I hung with the "honda element" crew from Long Island, NY, with whom I sampled a bit of their sixtel of cask-conditioned stout. mmmmmm!
    Then I stopped by and met some of the Lehigh Valley mountain bikers, very nice group of people there. We chatted a while and I sampled some Cabo Wabo. For some reason, I felt like I was ready to ride when I saw some bikers heading out to do the 9:30 night ride. I quickly changed and headed out too. I climbed up to the hang glider launch area, it was foggy, rainy and a bit cold, so I headed right back down. Friday ride total 25 mi. I don't quite remember going to bed that night, but I remember waking up a few times in my tent from the rain overnight.

Saturday....organized group rides headed out early to knock the water off the trailside undergrowth. My friends from Jersey and new friends from New Hampshire wanted an epic and wanted to ride it ALL! and I accepted the invite to lead this crew of 13 and the fun started at an early 11am. We climbed up Iron Mine, and proceded to hit every singletrack in the forest. By the time we finished up, did the high speed descent down Iron Mine, arrived back in camp at 5:30 to greeted by a nice cold Troegs from the beer trailer. ahhh, 33 miles makes the beer taste even better.

The chicken dinner followed and was excellent. Then the swag giveaway went down, which I got a nice handmade coffee mug. Then the band, wicker basket, set up and played some, uh, music. several campfires were visited, and a big bonfire in the middle kept the crowd warm.

Sunday...climbed up from camp to do the rocks ridge challenge. man, it was tough keeping breakfast down on that climb! My buddy Darin, showed up sunday morning to ride too and defend his title. We were both doing great on the rock challenges. There were 9 different sections to negotiate. We were both without a point until #7. There, I made my first and only mistake, I dab - but outside the line. Darin dabs two times but keeps in the lines. And with that, Darin won second year in a row, I was second place.
    We then rode Wolfs Pond trail to finish and then back up to bomb down Iron Mine one more time.

my total for the weekend: 75 miles, 9 hours of ride time, some new friends, and a lot of good memories. Thank You Keith, Rick, Jill, and everyone who made this thing happen

mtbr member

Good job! Great description of the fun.................

5 of us came down from the Mountain Top(near Wilkes Barre) and Hubbard (near Scranton). Fantastic weekend.

Friday we arrived around 7pm, set up in the drizzle. Decided we had to ride....Went up Deep Hollow to Wolfs Pond to Hang Glider to Wolfs Pond to Rocks Bridge West and back down Deep Hollow. Got back to camp and settled in and then the rain came down. Stayed up until at least 2 am drinkin' beer with our crew.

Saturday we got up early and started riding by 9:30am, nice climb up Iron Mine over to Matter, Schreffler, Preserve Line, Rattling Creek, Doc Smith, Lykens Rd, Hopback, Stone Cabin, Rugged Trail, Doc Smith, Fawn Kill, Preserve Line, Shale Run, Minnich Hit, Matter, Hang Glider, Deep Hollow home. Showered up and hit the Troegs sampling. Dinner was fantastic, had the Cajun chicken and Pepper Slaw. The Scwagfest was incredible. Picked up a nice Nike Jersey! On came Whiskerbisket, loved em. Really liked the Iron maiden , Rage Against the Machine, and Slayer covers!!! Finished out the night at the large bonfire in the field with about up to 30 people at times.

Sunday we started around 10 after breaking camp and driving up to Minnich Hit area, rode Minnich, Matter, Wolf Pond, Rim, Hang Glider, Deep Hollow, Rocks Bridge West and East, Watched the contest, Matter to Minnich Hit.

Keith, Jill, Rick and all the other members who prepared for the crowd are to be commended. Everything went off well. I have been a member for a few years but only come down to ride 2 or 3 times a year. My first BASH. Really enjoyed the friendly vibe throughout the weekend. Everyone I met was helpful and enjoying the festivities.

Moonraker- We did a night ride Friday too....3 of us...never saw anyone else until we got back to camp...was that you that rode over to us in the open field as we did a lap to look for our friends?
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Get Help
    Feb 2006

1st time/great time

Thanks to Rick and Jill and all the others for a RCST Bash newbie.Ihad a blast up there this weekend and will be back again (even though it is on the new year) if you know what I mean. This placed was quite different from our South New Jersey trails and put a nice touch on the end of our summer tour. With Vermont, Delaware, New York and now Penn I think our Jersey crew came together for a great finish. Thanks to all that put it together and see you next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MOUNTAIN BIKE WEEKEND RCST2007!!! BOYS
    Credits: Mr. D., Johnny G., Wilson, Chef Ron,Pennsey Mark, Crazy Chis M.,English Marc,Stinky Mike,Mary Chickin Veg. Newboys Brad and Darin and the homos from New Hampshire.
    Last edited by mitchell16; 09-17-2007 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member

Here are a few pictures from our BASH Rides....

Oh yeah, we rode about 6.6 Friday night, 26.8 on Saturday, and another 11 on Sunday. Still thinkin' about the good time had by all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Some more RCST BASH Photos...post yours too..

Here are a couple more pictures. We ran into Sammy Hagar who was riding a Santa Cruz at the Bash. Also found a walking stick and a yellow jacket(in my Endurox).
    Attached Images Attached Images