mtbr member

Raystown Weekend (10/3&4)

First, thanks to all for the suggestions & feedback on Raystown!

My wife wife & I took 1/2 days from work, and picked up the girls (11 &14) at 12:00 from school. The weather forecast changed throughout the week. It ended up being rainy on Friday. We planned riding a little and then having a fire at the cabin, (we stayed at Lake Raystown Family Camping Resort ), and cooking brats & dogs for dinner, but the rain had other plans. So, I remembered that someone suggested Boxers. Drove into town and there was a parking spot right in front. The place was packed so my wife and oldest stayed and waited for our table, and me and my youngest went down to Rothrock Outfitters to check out the bikes. We didn't see a lot of bikes, mainly canoes and rock climbing gear, so we went back to Boxers. While we were waiting I started talking to guy and got some add'l info on the trails. He also told me there as an entire room of bikes at the shop that I didn't get to. Oh well! So, we got our table at Boxers, had a few excellent beers, some great food, and then back to the cabin. Watched some TV, listened to the rain and hoped for good weather on Saturday.

Got up Sat AM. Very foggy.

Here we are, ready to go!

Missed the turn on Bakers Hollow and went to the Marina. We had all day and the views were spectacular.

Back on track with the sun shining and the fog gone.

The trails

Spectacular View

Our Saturday ride was: Buck -> Allie -> Grippis -> Ridge -> Rays Revenge -> Sidewinder-> Osprey -> Fawn -> Buck. My youngest was excited to ride to the Hydro Loop, but one of the berms on Sidewinder had a root sticking out that both the kids hit and crashed. (Probably should have avoided the black trails with the kids? ) I was really enjoying myself a 100 yards or so ahead of everyone, when I heard my youngest crying. I rode back up Sidewinder and they were both ok. Oldest landed on her shoulder and the youngest smacked her shin. They both finished the day and enjoyed it. My oldest also lost control of her bike on one of the 'whoopdee doos', grabbed a handful of front brake and let the bike go end over end. Bent the rear dearailleur into the spokes. I told her that she was going to have a long walk back to the car! I bent everything back into place and readjusted her deraileur and all is good. The kids were exhausted when we finished, so we headed back to the cabin, got a shower and left for Penn State. Walked around campus for a couple hours, saw some of the game (PSU-Ill) at many of the outdoor bars
    and then headed to Spats for our 6:00 reservation. Had a great meal and back to the cabin.

Saturday nite The kids were too tired to come to the fire.

The moon & clouds

The kids decided that they were too pooped for another ride on Sunday, so my wife and I got up and made it to the trail around 9:00. We had to be out of the cabin by 11:00, so we had a quick ride. Buck -> Doe -> Switch -> Sleek Dog -> Doe -> Buck. Saw Bear and his party, and also Road Warrior and his rig on our way out. Got home, unpacked, showered and was at a golf outing by 3:00.

Even with the crashes, the kids want to know when we'll be back and we all give the experience a big thumbsup!
    Last edited by toyman; 10-05-2009 at 09:22 AM.
    1995 Cannondale M500, Amp F3XC Fork
    1996 Scott Vertigo LSD (FS), Judy XC Fork
    2009 Windsor Cliff 29 Pro, RS Tora Race

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    sweet.

"the family that crashes together, stays together"

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Thanks for sharing...

...we enjoyed it also!