Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Raystown: Most funnerer direction to ride trails?

I've been there once, and remember thinking that some of the trails would have been a lot better going the other direction. Any tips? Here's the map: http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/A...T_TrailMap.pdf

mtbr member
    Most funnerer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    A couple of E mails ago there was a couple of rules and one of them was this one-follow event trail signage. So I think that there might be signs telling us which direction to go. I ordered a map a little while ago and it tells you what direction to go on every trail for the best flow.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    I would agree for this weekend they will probably have most of the trails marked in the direction you should ride but in general the outter loop on the north side is best ridden in a counter clockwise direction, the exception being rays revenge, best from up at ridge towards berry patch. the stuff south of seven points road I also believe rides better in the counter clockwise direction. Hydroloop is good both ways

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkerkonadawgdeluxepaul
    A couple of E mails ago there was a couple of rules and one of them was this one-follow event trail signage. So I think that there might be signs telling us which direction to go. I ordered a map a little while ago and it tells you what direction to go on every trail for the best flow.

There was a huge group ride starting yesterday. About three of the guys decided they were going to ride the wrong way on purpose. One of the reasons that made the whole event less than enjoyable for me.

mtbr member

Dirt Fest

The trails at raystown are really fun and very "swoopy". It is not like anywhere I have ridden before. I enjoyed them after I figured out how to ride them. I do agree some of the trails are better in certain direction. I really liked sidewinder?, until my friend almost died when she hit a tree....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Francine
    The trails at raystown are really fun and very "swoopy". It is not like anywhere I have ridden before. I enjoyed them after I figured out how to ride them. I do agree some of the trails are better in certain direction. I really liked sidewinder?, until my friend almost died when she hit a tree....
    Rumors were flying about several crashes. I saw the medevac helocopter fly overhead once to pick someone up from the visitor center. Was that for her? What happened?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    RTL can be dang-er-ous, from speed. I hope everyone recovers well that "thwacked" themselves.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by veryavgwhtguy
    Rumors were flying about several crashes. I saw the medevac helocopter fly overhead once to pick someone up from the visitor center. Was that for her? What happened?
    I heard the helicopter Saturday. There was an ambulance that came flying in to the park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    There were at least 3 crashes(2 women and 1 man), and one of the women were taken by Helicopter, rumors flew of very serious injuries for her. When we got back to the parking lot where the fire and ambulance were parked another woman was pretty banged up, and I actually put her bike on my rack, put her in my car and brought her back to camp. Her name was Stephanie and she was a trooper. She was cut up pretty bad and had a shoulder injury. I also crashed twice myself on Friday just because I was not used to the rollers and the "safe" speeds in which I could hit them. I will definitely visit those trails again. I thought they were incredible. Loved Ray's revenge! Here are a couple shots from the trip. Also curious who won the bike?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raystown:  Most funnerer direction to ride trails?-dirtfest-004.jpg  

Raystown:  Most funnerer direction to ride trails?-dirtfest-022.jpg  

Raystown:  Most funnerer direction to ride trails?-dirtfest-027.jpg  

Raystown:  Most funnerer direction to ride trails?-dirtfest-032.jpg  

Last edited by Lugi; 05-24-2010 at 05:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    And a few more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raystown:  Most funnerer direction to ride trails?-dirtfest-016.jpg  

Raystown:  Most funnerer direction to ride trails?-dirtfest-015.jpg  

Raystown:  Most funnerer direction to ride trails?-dirtfest-043.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The trails at raystown are really fun and very "swoopy". It is not like anywhere I have ridden before. I enjoyed them after I figured out how to ride them.
    I would be interested in hearing from you or anyone else who "figured out how to ride them". I am an avid runner and live in Pittsburgh, where I'm running and biking hills all the time. Some of those trails kicked my ass. No crashes here though.

By the way, did anyone see the thin busty blonde in a light blue riding top around the demo area around 1pm Saturday?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugi
    There were at least 3 crashes(2 women and 1 man), and one of the women were taken by Helicopter, rumors flew of very serious injuries for her. When we got back to the parking lot where the fire and ambulance were parked another woman was pretty banged up, and I actually put her bike on my rack, put her in my car and brought her back to camp. Her name was Stephanie and she was a trooper. She was cut up pretty bad and had a shoulder injury. I also crashed twice myself on Friday just because I was not used to the rollers and the "safe" speeds in which I could hit them. I will definitely visit those trails again. I thought they were incredible. Loved Ray's revenge! Here are a couple shots from the trip. Also curious who won the bike?

I did Lugi!!! Wanna buy it from me? hahaha Great pictures...I'm ready to go back and ride the trails that I didn't get to ride when I was there!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkerkonadawgdeluxepaul
    I did Lugi!!! Wanna buy it from me? hahaha Great pictures...I'm ready to go back and ride the trails that I didn't get to ride when I was there!!!
    I looked on the Hubcap Site and some lady won the bike.

mtbr member

Injury at Raystown

That helicopter was for a friend of mine. We had been riding all day on Friday with no problems. Saturday all was fine until she hit the table top jump on Sidewinder (I think) and in mid air crashed into a tree. She had severe internal injuries ( we did not know at the time, knew she was messed up, but not that bad), and could have died on the trail from bleeding out. Thankfully, we ended up getting help in time from some of the Dirt Fest guys (thanks Evan and Josh). And thanks to the paramedic who assisted her on the trail while riding with his friends.
    They put her in a basket and bushwacked through the woods to a waiting ambulance that had gotten as close as possible on an old doubletrack road. Flew her to Altoona trauma center where they took her immiediately to surgery and removed her spleen, sewed up her liver, and she had a small puncture of her bowel. They said if she had not been in such good physical condition she would have been put on a ventilator. She had bleed out into her abdomen and could have died if the helicopter was not called.
    She is still up there in the hospital and will be there for several more days. When we heard how bad it was I couldn't believe it. At one point she was ready to pass out and her lips were blue. It was scary as hell.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Francine,

My heart goes out to you and your friend.

SBT
    mtbr member
    Francine,

Please send her my best wishes.

dsx
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Francine,

I'm glad to hear that your friend is going to be ok. (I am one of the guys that happened across you right after it occurred; I was trying to call the ranger station on my cell and kept getting their VM, ugh). I recall the EMS mtb'er saying that she may have had a lacerated liver, but... wow. She definately is a trooper!

-DS

I'm more of a dog person
    That helicopter was for a friend of mine. We had been riding all day on Friday with no problems. Saturday all was fine until she hit the table top jump on Sidewinder (I think) and in mid air crashed into a tree. She had severe internal injuries ( we did not know at the time, knew she was messed up, but not that bad), and could have died on the trail from bleeding out. Thankfully, we ended up getting help in time from some of the Dirt Fest guys (thanks Evan and Josh). And thanks to the paramedic who assisted her on the trail while riding with his friends.
    They put her in a basket and bushwacked through the woods to a waiting ambulance that had gotten as close as possible on an old doubletrack road. Flew her to Altoona trauma center where they took her immiediately to surgery and removed her spleen, sewed up her liver, and she had a small puncture of her bowel. They said if she had not been in such good physical condition she would have been put on a ventilator. She had bleed out into her abdomen and could have died if the helicopter was not called.
    She is still up there in the hospital and will be there for several more days. When we heard how bad it was I couldn't believe it. At one point she was ready to pass out and her lips were blue. It was scary as hell.
    Frankie, is this the latest word on her? I thought when Donna returned from the hospital she said that her bowel was OK but it turned out that she broke 2 ribs as well.

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottRPriester
    I would be interested in hearing from you or anyone else who "figured out how to ride them".
    they need to be ridden like a big pump track. lots of body english. push down into the valleys and absorb the bike up into the crests, trying to keep your core as level as possible and making the bike do all the ups and downs. speed is key as well. these trails were built to go one speed - fast. many miles of Raystown can be ridden without pedaling if you can get this rhythm down. if not, you will be sucking alot of wind.

mtbr member
    Apparently the bowel didn't need to be fixed since it was a small hole, is what I understood. She did have a rib fracture. Report I just received is, she is having problems with the morphine and in pain. They are trying to find other pain killers that will work without making her sick.

I'm more of a dog person
    Apparently the bowel didn't need to be fixed since it was a small hole, is what I understood. She did have a rib fracture. Report I just received is, she is having problems with the morphine and in pain. They are trying to find other pain killers that will work without making her sick.
    that really sucks. i hope they are able to find something that works.

mtbr member
    Yo Lugi- great pictures, especially that good looking hunk of a guy with the Ned Flanders 'stache!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekittykiller
    they need to be ridden like a big pump track. lots of body english. push down into the valleys and absorb the bike up into the crests, trying to keep your core as level as possible and making the bike do all the ups and downs. speed is key as well. these trails were built to go one speed - fast. many miles of Raystown can be ridden without pedaling if you can get this rhythm down. if not, you will be sucking alot of wind.
    Exactly! And the best way to do that is on a rigid singlespeed. Any kind of suspension just absorbs the momentum. I can really get humming at RTL without hardly pedeling for long periods. We ride there several times a month (we are from Altoona) and usually go in a clockwise direction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    was there on friday and ran into a black bear on berry trail. do you see a lot of bears out there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast