Spring! Spring! Spring!

Raystown Lake Ride Report - 10/4/09

I got a couple local wackos to sign-on for a 3 hour plus one-way drive from home to Raystown Lake to ride the Allegreppis trails out there today.

We rolled out at 6am, and thanks to now stops, and no cops, were on the bikes by 9:30 am. Not bad for over 187 miles of driving.

We rode over 26 miles of trail, accumulated one metric ton of climbing, and three spectacular high-speed crashes by a guy named Chris (take a guess from the pics which one he is, go head, just guess...), met a long-haul trucker that drove up to the trailhead in a Kenworth [corrected], ate way too much food afterwards, and I still have a ****-eating grin on my face.

Is it possible to get tired of endless rollers, pump-style mileage, and kickers? Dunno, but I tried. Oh how so hard I tried.

Todd, I'm sorry man, while the trail would be eminently ridable on your Fixie, you owe it to yourself to flip to the freewheel side for this one. Seriously.

Apparently we missed 6 miles of trail. Dang. Have to go back in a few months.

Mad Props to the people that made this trail set happen. It went in fast, and is solid, and super well built. I'd personally not MIND some more variety in the trail, but I'm *NOT* complaining. So totally worth the drive today.

Note to self though: Spending Saturday doing lift-served downhilling, then Sunday doing "XC" riding where you're in a crouch most of the timer over the bike, leads to some very VERY tired muscles.

Official Web Site : linky ( great trailmap linky here )

The route we rode, in case anyone is interested, worked out really well and featured, in order: Buck -> Doe -> Sleek Dog -> Eagle -> Hydro Loop -> Osprey (cut short) -> Sidewinder -> Ray's Revenge -> Ridge -> Grippis -> Red Legs -> Loco-Motive -> Berry Patch -> Ray's Revenge (other direction) -> Sidewider (other direction) -> Osprey -> Fawn -> Buck.

Tracklog : linky ( zip-compressed GPX file )

Last edited by bear; 10-05-2009 at 04:58 AM.

Road Warrior

... and if we just ...

The truck's a Kenworth, Peterbuilts are for roadies. Had a great time. Sorry about your long ride home. I was in Breezewood with a hot shower, good meal under my belt , and a football game in front of me by the time you got home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    My apologies Dave, my apologies, obviously a Road Warrior I am not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    is that lee on a full squish? what is this world coming too

mtbr member
    Bear - My wife and I finished up our ride as you guys were just getting started yesterday. Sounds like you had a great time there also, and did a few miles more. I uploaded my camera and have a few of the same pic's you took. Namely the one at the corner of Grippis & Rays Revenge. Spectacular View there.

1995 Cannondale M500, Amp F3XC Fork
    1996 Scott Vertigo LSD (FS), Judy XC Fork
    2009 Windsor Cliff 29 Pro, RS Tora Race

Road Warrior
    Great picture, early bird gets the picture.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Ted,

You might be surprised to find that I helped build that trail last summer. Spent about four weeks in a rental house in Huntingdon and worked on Raystown doing finish work with a Ditch Witch SK500 wih a crew of about six or seven.

Did not get to ride it, though, and hope to do so one of these days.

(If anyone rides this trail, likes the flow, and knows of any land managers who want similar trail and have a little budget for it, refer them to me, please! The link is in my signature line for the business, Talon Trails.)

Dewayne

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    dave: yes, it was quite surprising to me to have Lee AND Chriffer show up on 26er FS bikes. Made me want to go back to the barn to get mine ... 'cept that was ruled out since it had no more front brake ( burned away the last of the pads at Blue Mtn on Sat ).

toyman: it was a nice spot, but chilly to my Texas-Thin-Blood! I had to put back on my arm-warmers when we got there! I was glad that eventually the sun came back out some and gave me some great pics to share.

Dewayne: Any chance you know which trail sections you worked on? I can only imagine how many people have contributed to that network, it's a HUGE project. I'm not surprised at all that you were there, you "roaming fool, you!" If you ever get back down in the area be sure to let me know, and bring your fancy-dancy HT for that one - no squish required.

Did you ever have ham?

Wow

Amazing pictures! Maybe one day I will be good enough to ride that. I was watching videos of the place on YouTube last night. Damn, that looks like fun! Did you see Raystown Ray? There is a video about searching for him, check it out. PA's own version of Nessie!

Todd

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Thanks to Ted

Hey WACKOS?... I resemble that remark!...heehee

It was fun to get back to Raystown after helping out ther one day last year. I got to see how the work turned out and I only helped for a few hours. Hats off to all the countless hours of work done by others who made something where there was nothing, now being enjoyed by all...

Yes, I dug out the old school FS bike! Well it didn't matter if you were riding a boneshaker from the last century. Loads of fun! It was up to you as to how fast you could go only hindered by your tire selection, angle of lean, and turning ablity. I guess how much BALLS you carry would be better to say into the downhill turns.

Great to meet Dave the Kenworth truck driving Road Warrior from the USA. We were quite amazed to see him pull into the parking lot and said to each other "Naw" he's just turning that big rig around. I noticed bicycle related stickies on his windows! He rode with us and we enjoyed his rap about trails all over the USA. He is now the official travel guide of NEPMTBA... LOL

Chris the Murph(maniac) Murphy thrilled us with his ragged over the edge line selections pulling many back from the brink to rocket up the next uphill section.

Thanks to the guy who suggested OIP in Hundington for providing much needed food after the ride! Pics are "AWESOME" and we have every reason to go back to catch the missing 6 miles of trail.

Thanks to all who make it happen...
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 10-05-2009 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    three of us blew off work and went out there Thurs-Fri to beat the storm. besides what a great freaking time those trails are, all of us were continually amazed at the amount of work that must have went in to make them this way - simply amazing.

We did almost the identical route you have mapped up there, but skipped red leggs and berry patch, still got about 26 mi in. We started over at the seven points trail head and took stoney over and back to the trails - fun trail, I think its about 2.2 mi long has some small rock gardens, but nothing hard.

Next time you are out do the trails on the other side of Seven Points trail head. We hit them the next day and they were some of our favorites: dark hollow, shade, dirt surfer, ally loop, dirt surfer, barrell bay to dark hollow. Make a figure 8 riding counter clockwise (you hit dirt surfer on the down hill, which is the way to go.) Seemed like this was a good direction to go.

Boxers is great post ride beer and food - couldn't believe we got Stone verticle ale there, beer selection = awesome; quality food too, good atmosphere.

Anybody know any campgrounds or good places to rent a cheap room after 10-26 (when the USARMCorp campground closes)? This place is too good to wait until next spring and too far for a day trip for us.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Dewayne: Any chance you know which trail sections you worked on? I can only imagine how many people have contributed to that network, it's a HUGE project. I'm not surprised at all that you were there, you "roaming fool, you!" If you ever get back down in the area be sure to let me know, and bring your fancy-dancy HT for that one - no squish required.
    Ted,

I worked on the trail that goes out the peninsula of the lake and the trail to the north of that....maybe four to five miles worth. And yeah, there were many people who helped design and build that trail. We had seven to nine on our crew when I was there, IIRC.

D

mtbr member

yes................

Nice! Sounds and looks like your crew had a great day at Raystown! Lee, Chriff, the Bear and assorted others...= Good times for sure. Thanks for sharing the story and the pics! Ride On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    For the record (and the encouragement of a return visit!) you missed much more than six miles, probably more in the ball park of 12-14 total.
    Dewayne, better watch out or you'll get Ben, Long Cane, TD, Mazu, Billy and more fishing for work on this thread! I'm out of the business or else I might jump in too.
    I thought you were pretty permanent at the mothership in WI?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    frank: cool, makes return visit more interesting/likely. Lessee, 26 + 12 == 38, factoring in some doubling up on stuff I haven't seen before and we may just bust 40. That'd earn some good grub post-ride.

Just need more daylight. :P

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The math on the place is a bit funky, since as loops, you have to double up on stuff. So assuming you rode the south of Seven Points Rd stuff as well, you need to do Stoney twice, in addition to the loop on that side being in the 8 mile range. So to hit everything, you end up with a 40 plus mile day. or split it into two and hit the best parts twice!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Ted:

I think we all had the feeling to ride more. I kept thinking as we rode Ray's Revenge back to the car this can't be over yet! I never even thought we did 26 miles to that point. Hungers a funny thing as it lured us towards it.

Frank:

Do'in any rid'in? Haven't spoke in a while. Nice work at Ray's. I had a chance to see where we did the work that day. Blew by it at speed going down, but I remember your dog Fiddlesticks and Joan's dog Buddy having a blast ripping around while we worked. Ahh... the good times!

Well, all the more reason to go ride 40 miles at the Rays, especially with the views!

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mnwfrank
    Dewayne, better watch out or you'll get Ben, Long Cane, TD, Mazu, Billy and more fishing for work on this thread! I'm out of the business or else I might jump in too.
    I thought you were pretty permanent at the mothership in WI?
    Ben seems to keep pretty busy, as does Greg. I know he's done quite a bit in Colorado & Wyoming. Man, I'd love to work at Curt Gowdy State Park! Not sure about the rest of the gang. I don't hear from Bill Victor much.

The Trek gig was supposed to be for two seasons, this and last, but my boss and I negotiated a third season so I'm returning April of next year. He told me he'd have me there all year for the next 10 years if I'd stay. Unfortunately, I see a snow flake, and I'm outta here!

D