Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Raystown Lake, Allegrippis Trail System featured on "Pedal America"

In search of Raystown Ray...

Season 1 Episode Descriptions

Enjoy...

Chronic 1st-timer
    After being rudely awoken by someone who couldn't read their work schedule, I ended up watching that episode this morning while trying to fall back asleep.
    Can't wait to hit it next time I'm back home in Pennsyltucky.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Does anyone know if there is hunting in the Allegrippis Trails the weekend after Thanksgiving?

mtbr member
    It looks like some hunting will be open Pennsylvania Hunting Season Schedule 2012 - 2013 | Deer, Archery, Rifle, Small Game

I wouldn't expect the area by the trails to be too heavily hunted though - there is a lot of human traffic around the recreation area. There's a state game land on the other side of rt 26, seems that would be much better for hunting.

I would wear orange, but wouldn't worry about hunters all that much.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks. I will be sure to wear some orange.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

Did the trails suffer any damage from the hurricane?

Thanks...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I believe the following is accurate, but it is an older memory. Check with in-the-know locals (like one of the bike shops):

At one point, the Allegrippis group had a note that the landowners (Army Corp of Engineers) were keeping an eye out to see if hunters and bikers could play nicely together. The net result was that a large percentage of bikers at Allegrippis were wearing blaze orange during hunting seasons: which meant the two could co-exist. The alternative was to close the area to biking during hunting season(s) [I'm assuming only during the bigger seasons.]

Moral of the story: you should be fine during hunting season, but wear blaze orange as a courtesy to the landowners, the hunters, and your own skin. And also remember, the two weeks after Thanksgiving are -big- hunting season in PA. If you aren't from PA, school children have that Monday off (first Monday after Thanksgiving) -- historically for the purpose of hunting (although it's probably an Act 80 day or some such now).

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The trails have always had hunting season on them, at least for a few years now. I can't imagine who would hunt there though, way too much biking traffic.

The trails seem to be ok according to their website, aside from Sleek Dog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode all the trails east of the Baker's Hollow Rd. trailhead (the main lot) this past Saturday post Sandy. Trails were not in as good of shape as their website leads you to believe. Entire trail tread is obviously full of leaves, except in the few areas where coniferous trees or high wind exposure areas exist. Trails have not gotten enough traffic to grind up the leaves yet, so the leaves are fluffy and slick. If you aren't familiar with the trail routes you may lose the trail in some spots. From the high winds a lot of branches/twigs are on the trail. Size ranges from pencil thin to 3" in diameter. Most can be ridden over. I stopped to remove a few off the trail, but the trails really need to be walked for a good clearing. A few trees are down across the trails. Big trees (will need chainsaws) were down on Rays Revenge and Osprey that required dismounting and hiking around off trail. Others are bunnyhop-able. Lastly, quite a few puddles existed at low spots primarily because the leaves are damming up the drainage paths across the trail tread.

Overall for the mileage I rode, the trails weren't that bad, but they were nowhere near as much fun with the leaf coverage. No aggressive riding through the whoops or turns.

Didn't see any hunters, but did a see a good size whitetail running away from me while riding Rays Revenge.

This coming weekend is supposed to have warmer temps, so I'm sure the trails will see more riders which will be good. Grind those leaves up!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Thanks for the reports...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Rode the trails this weekend. They are in great shape. Swung by Boxers, and got some great food, and beers as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OHtard View Post
    Rode the trails this weekend. They are in great shape. Swung by Boxers, and got some great food, and beers as well.
    What all trails did you ride? Thinking of hitting up Raystown this coming weekend. Thnx!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    What all trails did you ride? Thinking of hitting up Raystown this coming weekend. Thnx!
    Rode everything but sleek dog(it's closed for logging) just aired down my tires a bit for some extra grip and never had a problem. We ended up averaging just over 10 mph so we weren't exactly sight seeing. Enjoy the trails, if I lived closer I'd be out there again. I'm going to have to settle for somewhere closer to home though.

mtbr member
    Anybody ridden Raystown in the last week? I'm considering a road trip down there and a brief trail report would be much appreciated. Thanks.

What bruise?
    Trails have been closed for the last two week for deer season. This was posted today:

December 10th

Open: 22 Trails

Closed: 1 Trail

Sleek Dog Trail is closed. Please follow all posted rules.

I know you want to ride it, don't, you will regret it.

Hunting Season:

There are several smaller seasons occurring so please continue to not dress like an animal.

-Wear orange except on Sunday when you should wear black-

Tread:

Wet and sloppy. Many small pools of water. It won't destroy the trails if you ride, just your bearings and seals.

The overlain leaf litter layer causes turns to be unpredictable, so watch out. Most of the leafs came down with the hurricane so things aren't so pretty anymore.

singletrak junkie
    Hows this place looking this time of year ? Any locals riding this place regularly, probley a dumb question but am considering taking a drive up and having a long weekend of riding, since reading the article in the FEB,2013 MountainBike Action mag.. Thanks

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Right now i'd be surprised if there wasn't frozen material on the trails which would significantly alter the fun of the trail (depending on your bike). We're supposed to be getting a warming trend this week so by next weekend it may be clear - the cover isn't deep enough that it'd need more than a couple days of warm and sun to clear the trails, I think (I live a couple hours east of Raystown).

You should call Freeze Thaw Cycles in State College and get trail info, they probably know more about local conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    the guys at Rothrock Outfitters ride there year round and will rent you a fat bike!! They will have the skinny on trail conditions

Rothrock Outfitters

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Stud up and ride...LOL!

What bruise?
    1-28-13 The official home of the Allegrippis Trails

Hunting Season:
    Open to hunting
    Wear Orange Except on Sundays

Tread:
    clear - 2" of slush and mud. Well suited to riding fat (probably sick of hearing that.) South side is pretty hard yet wet. While the north is soft and wet. Do us a favor and kick out a drain when you stop to wait for your buddies.

Trail Corridor:
    The corridor is clear, with no reported blowdowns. South side is slightly brushy... in a good way.

Bike/Tire Recommendation:
    Bike:Salsa Mukluk 2
    Tires: Surly Bud Front - Nate Rear
    Last edited by Echo2; 01-28-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add link

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slower_than_u View Post
    Anybody ridden Raystown in the last week? I'm considering a road trip down there and a brief trail report would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    I'm up in State College, about an hour NE of Raystown. We had a few warm days last week, but we're back to typical winter temps now. High teens at night, mid 20s during the day. Snow on and off the last few days as well. If you're into fat-biking, I'm guessing the trails are passable, but otherwise give it a few weeks. As said above, riding the trails with snow or really sloppy conditions are not doing them justice. Once spring comes and they dry out some, they will be fast and roller-coasterly as usual. Riding them now you'd be missing out on how they are supposed to be ridden - fast and on the edge.