mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Raystown Lake (Allegrippis) or Jim Thorpe?

Hi,

I plan on coming from WNY to PA for a few days of mountain biking and camping at some point in 2010. Thus far, I've narrowed it down to either the Allegrippis trails in Raystown Lake or the Jim Thorpe area. It appears that both places offer some really great intermediate singletrack along with hospitable places to stay overnight (specifically, camping). Can anyone give me a recommendation on what place has the better biking/camping experience? By "biking experience," I mean a variety of trails (beginner to advanced) that are situated in a scenic and "wild" environment.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

mtbr member
    Well, Raystown is an awesome place that I recommend trying out for sure. Good camping, close to a small town with bars and resturants, and fast fast fast, flowy singletrack. The only downside is it's 30+ miles of the same (fun-as-hell) trail!
    Here in NEPA we have mainly rocks and roots on all of the trails w/out any really smooth trails. Tight, twisty, technical ST is our thing. Lackawanna State Park has some of the fast and smooth stuff, but not nearly as much as Raystown. So to me, Raystown is a nice treat to go to and release some of that wide open speed that we don't get around here. A big ring is all you really need at Raystown!

JT, You can camp at Mauch Chunk county park. Nicer camping cause you're more-so in the woods and not surrounded by RV's. It has a lot of variety. You can do the rail-trail for 0-50 easy miles. The Switchback 12 miles of easy pedaling w/2 overlooks and the Wagon road (rough DH) at the end. Twin Peaks for a longer (16 miles?) and more tech trip. MAYBE some stuff on Broad mtn? There's a lot more variety in JT for sure.

You make the call. I love them both for different reasons. I personally can't see spending more than 2-3 days at Raystown. Maybe RT for 2 days and hit JT on the way back up/down? Either way you'll be happy. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'd go for Raystown as my first choice.My wife and I were there this past fall, and she only rides maybe 4 or 5x a month and she had a blast.Raystown is now on our "must get ther again soon list" of rides.
    PS : Boxer's Cafe in Huntington is a nice place for post ride munchies (kid friendly also) and beverages. We stayed in a cabin right on the lake at the resort, and would stay there again,...nice place we thought.

I would probably do Raystown, but for some variety , plan on some time at Rothrock State Forest as well.
    Last edited by jonz; 12-21-2009 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Jim Thorpe sucks. It is the most over rated riding location ever. The trails are very difficult to follow. I always get lost on some rocky unridable trail to hell. I have never had a good experience there.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    another vote for Raystown.